PODCAST: Austin Pfenninger talks to D$ about summer workouts

View as article
On a related note, D$, how good (or bad) is this OL?

I think we will be marginally better than last year. Which means, good enough to give you a chance to win.

I think 2019 is the year when we will have enough physical talent and experience to move people like the top OLs.

Advertisement
@apfenny3 talked about some of the differences between Felder and Swasey's workout philosophies. I know we have some strength and conditioning experts on here, so I wanted to pose this question:

What is a better approach to football strength training: fast-paced circuit training with minimal rest period between reps (Felder), or a program meant to max out with more rest in between sets (Swasey)?

@apfenny3 talked about some of the differences between Felder and Swasey's workout philosophies. I know we have some strength and conditioning experts on here, so I wanted to pose this question:

What is a better approach to football strength training: fast-paced circuit training with minimal rest period between reps (Felder), or a program meant to max out with more rest in between sets (Swasey)?

The current system in place is very conducive for today’s modern football player. The circuit training with minimum rest also helps enhance conditioning. (Aside from other actual conditioning drills). But honestly there is no ONE system that is the end all be all. FSU implements power lifting into their regiment, Bama focuses on power and body transference of explosion, Tenn is heavy into Olympic lifting but in all actuality teams copy off each other. It just depends on your resources equipment wise and budget. The field is ever evolving. Where it was necessary to pack on 35 lbs muscle on a line backer 20 years ago is no longer applicable now. Even the shoulder pads are smaller and lighter to allow for full range of motion.

Back when we were running shop Moffit implemented a system based off of explosion (usually in a standing position) utilizing Olympic style lifting techniques. This gave our athletes the needed core explosiveness and power to carry their muscular frames see Willis McGagee, Sean Taylor.

Obviously it helps if you ALREADY have genetic freaks. See Bama.

Swasey took over and kept it going but two things kinda happened. 1. The quality of athlete began to slowly decrease both in quantity and quality. And 2. the S&C world began to evolve with upgrades in biomechanics, advance kinesiology and we failed to change with it.
We had the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” mentality. (There’s actually a third reason I’m sure many of you already know about so we won’t get into it).
The rest of the college football world caught up to what we were doing and then KEPT going. Kept learning, investing and executing.

When Gus was hired I immediately researched him and was not initially impressed. I was already disappointed that we did not land Dr. Pat Ivey from Missouri and from the looks of it we went the cheap route. But one thing I can say is Gus realizes the field he’s in changes constantly. He continually holds clinics, attends clinics and stays studying in his spare time to stay on top of his craft. He’s actually very experienced and just had a humble resume until Miami.

Last edited:

I think if you talked to 15 different trainers you would get 15 different answers on that lol

Advertisement
Swasey took over and kept it going but two things kinda happened. 1. The quality of athlete began to slowly decrease both in quantity and quality. And 2. the S&C world began to evolve with upgrades in biomechanics, advance kinesiology and we failed to change with it.
We had the “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” mentality. (There’s actually a third reason I’m sure many of you already know about so we won’t get into it).
The rest of the college football world caught up to what we were doing and then KEPT going. Kept learning, investing and executing.

Can someone fill in between the lines for me? PED's? Poor coaching philosophies and techniques (aka GolDorito wanting players fat and slow)? What's the third reason???

Advertisement
Back