PODCAST: Adapt or Die ft. ESPN's Steve Kim and D$

1. I wanted Manny as head coach. He wasn’t my first choice (Or my second; I think Jim Leonhard is going to be a great HC one day - the same that was said about Manny); I thought Babers was a natural for Miami, but whatever…
2. I love the “Marketing” Manny has done to let the country know Miami will be relevant again.
3. I think the Turnover Chain is genius and that the Touchdown rings need to be bigger - much bigger. Boxing gloves-sized.
4. A lot of the rewards and new school “psychological coaching” he does, is on display at LSU, UVA and Clemson - but with different on-field results.
5. As bad as Miami has played, and especially on defense, 2019 Miami would beat 2018 Miami on the field in a hypothetical matchup.

Disappointing as this season has been, Miami has been marginally better, and that’s with an OL that nobody thought could get worse. It has been considerably worse. I’m surprised at the defense, but not really; I was hoping for better DL play to not leave the DBs isolated but Baker has the secondary talking to Wilson like Tom Hanks.

im actually surprised some of you are disappointed because I read for the last 10 months how this team would be some version of 7-6, 8-5, 9-4… or would just win 10 games. Posters/fans like myself should be most disappointed. I hoped this was a 12-0 team. Stupid based upon the results, but we were right about how CLOSE THIS TEAM COULD BE. And, they’re close because 95% of the posters here would agree that this team COULD BE 5-0 … with the right coaching/schemes. Which means this isn’t a bad team; Miami isnt Rutgers.

I was petrified at what I was watching during the UF and UNC games and it became more and more scary through the UVA game because I’ve seen this before; it doesn’t get better. But it does and it can and Manny has to let go of his ego for the change to happen (there’s a certain team that Miami destroyed in 2017 and the respective teams fortunes have reversed since that night).

First step was sticking his nose into the defense, the second step was letting his OC know that HE makes the final decision on who starts at QB (hopefully that extends to his OL and DL coaches). Now, he needs to take charge of the sideline! Stop looking like he has no idea what to do now that the bullets are flying and START LOOKING LIKE HE DID WHEN HE RNA THE DEFENSE FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS. Engaged. Enthusiastic. Urgent (which happens to be one of his favorite words).

I think Manny can turn this around, or maybe it’s just my Cane hope talking, but I’m not giving up on this team because the one thing that they’ve shown through the missed assignments, poor tackling, and penalties … is fight.

And, all the “fans/posters“ well, I think it was the great philospher Redwine who said …

View attachment 99033
You are digging deep into the well of hope.

Unfortunately, we are in the desert right now.

Advertisement
True
There is alot of great coaches in college that we will never hear of because they cant bring in the talent. U have to be able to recruit in college or u are fuqed...especially at a program that is historic.

That's the missing part of the comparison when posters say Dabo was less qualified than Manny. Dabo was a monster recruiter. Best of the best. It appears that he is also an excellent talent evaluator, which separates him from other top recruiters (Miami lands "4 star" talent like Bar Milo or Cleveland Reed) We know from Coker that a dumb coach can win with elite talent.

Diaz isnt a great recruiter. He's not even a good recruiter. Thats not the end of the world, maybe he can make up for that by being a decent evaluator (I'll take a team of 3 star Greg Rosseaus over our blue chip bums). So far it's not good, although if 2 star Zion Nelson becomes a good LT by year 3 (which is possible), then credit to him. He will be hemorrhaging the top recruits if we have a .500 season, so we have to hope he has Butch Davis's eye for spotting underrated talent. I'm a bit pessimistic on that front.

Regarding Black Baker. Roman pointed out the scheme that was played in the VT game late in the 4th qtr on the deep pass to the sideline. As Roman stated, you have a new VT QB who is a 1 read guy. You play a coverage with 1 safety who is lined up on the strong side (3 WRs) leaving 1 v 1 on the opposite side and an easy read for the QB who can't progress more than 1 receiver. The QB dropped a dime, but if you have a 2nd safety or if the single safety was playing the middle of the field, the QB wouldn't be as comfortable or decisive. One of the big issues is the defensive play calling. Baker has called some questionable schemes in certain situations. Bad 4th and 17 scheme against UNC. Baker's play calling has cost us at least 2 games. He's certainly not the only problem of the team and you can point to other things during the games that contributed to the losses, but when we're in a position to win, he's made some questionable decisions.

Advertisement
That's the missing part of the comparison when posters say Dabo was less qualified than Manny. Dabo was a monster recruiter. Best of the best. It appears that he is also an excellent talent evaluator, which separates him from other top recruiters (Miami lands "4 star" talent like Bar Milo or Cleveland Reed) We know from Coker that a dumb coach can win with elite talent.

Diaz isnt a great recruiter. He's not even a good recruiter. Thats not the end of the world, maybe he can make up for that by being a decent evaluator (I'll take a team of 3 star Greg Rosseaus over our blue chip bums). So far it's not good, although if 2 star Zion Nelson becomes a good LT by year 3 (which is possible), then credit to him. He will be hemorrhaging the top recruits if we have a .500 season, so we have to hope he has Butch Davis's eye for spotting underrated talent. I'm a bit pessimistic on that front.
Hes never shown he had an eye for talent hes not known for it even when he was on other staffs. Thats why some posters knew the hire would fail.

and @DMoney its not a coincidence that Clemson hit orbit in 2012 with the hiring of Dan Radcacovich as AD, Dabo was middling to that point, I think Clemson went to another commitment level in 2012

Seems everyone sees it the same way. We all agree on the issues. We know the coaching staff is a joke. Its the administration that fcks us.

Not to beat a dead horse but take a look at Jennifer Strawley's twitter feed. Her last tweet about football was acknowledging the win over BCU. Besides that the only time she's tweeted anything football related was retweeting **** about Murphy. She posts more about women's tennis, basketball, volleyball and soccer than any men's sport, much less football.

We know Blake James is ra-tard, but this woman's priority is clearly women's sports and only women's sports. There's no hope with them in place.
That’s why her incompetent agenda driven name is on the banner. She has no business anywhere near the football program, let alone the one in charge of it! It’s disgusting and will not be tolerated anymore by us fans. If we got to fly a banner every week calling out those two incompetent buffoons #firejames&Strawley until they are gone or reassigned then that’s what we’re gonna do. **** will fly one over the Hecht center/IPF if that’s what it takes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Trying to temper expectations now in order to keep the peace around the program is disingenuous. This team was good enough before the season to win the Coastal. Still is.

To be in a death struggle with a horrible cmu, lose to awful downtrodden VT and lose to **** *** UNC is garbage. It’s not a situation where we are only slightly more talented than those teams and need a break or two to beat them.

Anyone adjusting expectations now has an agenda. The legit expectations were 10 and the Coastal.

God. ****. Right.

This board is bipolar & has the memory condition from 50 first dates. Posters wake up with a different outlook & set of expectations than they went to sleep with. Call them on it & somehow u aren't supporting the team.

After the first two games, the sky was falling. After the BCU massacre you'd think the first two games never happened. Now the seas have boiled & the mountains have crumbled. But hey.. if we win Friday this place will forget all about VT & CMU. It'll be jarren's fault starting over Nkosi. Until we lose another dumb game & the world ends.. Again.

Ok maybe that is accurate. Either way, when you get the #1 DC in the country to come to your team that virtually had not won anything in 30+ years and was a virtual doormat to FSU for decades in the ACC, a little luck is involved. Venables could have gone anywhere he wanted.

That said, I don't really give a ****. I'm not caping for Clemson like we get something out of them being the big dog in college football right now. What is our team going to do to fix our **** show is the topic at hand here. And if Diaz finds a way to crawl himself out of this mess, he needs to fire both coordinators and find some new ones. I don't care how he does it. Even if luck is involved.

Mike Stoops was DC at OU and left for the Arizona HC job after 2003. He was fired from Arizona after the 2011 season. OU opened 2011 6-0 and 3rd ranked, but fell to 9-3 and 19th, surrendering 40+ points in three losses in the last five games, including a 44-10 loss to Oklahoma State.

Bob Stoops scapegoated Venables to rehire Mike.

Venables remained highly sought after and Clemson offered between $750K-$1M as season.

D$, no matter how expensive Enos is, he was hired under same terms of Pat Nix. He doesnt really have a strong resume, he gained alot of clout because he was affiliated with record breaking Bama offense but before that he was a middle of pack OC, who had maybe 1 or 2 good years at Arky. I think he is really good QB coach but as OC he was I form with HUGE oline at Arky. Not really what Diaz promised as cutting edge offense.

These guys who try to be multiple in college with limited coaching time, and try to shoe horn spread into their prostyle always have high chance of struggling. This has been mentioned multiple times and broken down.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2...-offense-smashmouth-option-air-raid-pro-style

Said for years that I thought one of the reasons Richt’s offense would look bad was because they didn’t have the same amount of time to practice it as back in the day at FSU and early Georgia.

Limited practice time from the Cba has affected the nfl, also. It’s one of the reasons teams don’t run as well under center as they used to.

They care we are cursed!!!

@k9 winning does matter. We have not won consistently over 15 years, we have had some very good players come through but have failed to develop up our players consistently and with that players go to programs that are consistently developing players and winning.

Advertisement
and @DMoney its not a coincidence that Clemson hit orbit in 2012 with the hiring of Dan Radcacovich as AD, Dabo was middling to that point, I think Clemson went to another commitment level in 2012
Please, the dude came from Georgia Tech & walked into a great situation. The notion that he's somehow a catalyst is a real reach.

Advertisement
ok, so I got a notification on this old post about this podcast from early in Manny's first season with @DMoney. Just for kicks I listened

We get a lot of things wrong, but here, we were actually prescient on a lot of things.

The writing was as always on the wall with Manny Diaz and the past UM leadership

ok, so I got a notification on this old post about this podcast from early in Manny's first season with @DMoney. Just for kicks I listened

We get a lot of things wrong, but here, we were actually prescient on a lot of things.

The writing was as always on the wall with Manny Diaz and the past UM leadership
I’d love to hear you jump on with D$ again sometime soon.

Advertisement
Back