Plenty Of Blame To…

Advertisement
It was a misunderstanding. I can see what you thought @Empirical Cane was saying but he wasn’t saying it as you personally are sucking donkey crank. He was talking about the OL.
I understand, and agree. I misunderstood his post, and apologized as such. When I’m wrong, I admit it. No shame in doing so. We’re all humans, and all make mistakes.

…go all around.

I’ll start with Rooster’s fumble. At that point of the game, you CANNOT fumble unless you get destroyed by a defender. He just looked like he didn’t have the ball secured. That was a game killer!

Now that I got that out of the way…

TVD played lights out, despite Mario and Gattis’s efforts throughout the game to fugg everything up. He passed for almost 500 yards and 3 TD’s, and looked poised throughout the game, and had a very high completion percentage.

You have to be blind to not see that he looked like a different player when we ran spread/RPO and up tempo. Every time that we slowed the game down and forced him to look at the sideline, or played in bunch formations, we struggled offensively.

The announcers and Mike Luginbill all said that running up tempo and spread let TVD not have to think too much. They also said that he finally looked like the same great player that they saw last season. Hmmm…I wonder why? 🤔

Our WR’s looked way better than any other game this season. Also a result of not having to think as much, and just playing. Not a perfect game by them, but big improvement catching the ball and getting open. Colby Young was outstanding in the little bit of time he got. What the **** has this kid been doing riding the bench? Insanity.

B.Smith and Key Smith had strong games, and Mallory showed up for the most part, even though his 3rd down dropped pass killed us. Overall he had his best game in a long time.

Our OL was terrible all game long. Our running game was once again stuffed, and TVD was under duress all game long. They were getting pressure on him with 4 man fronts and 5-men blitzes. That last drive was brutal. TVD made several great plays to extend the drive, as he was under constant pressure.

This is specially concerning because the OL was supposed to be a strength of this team, with Mario and Mirabal coaching them. So far they have played average to below average. Way too many missed blocks and assignments.

The play calling was hot and cold. At times we looked great, moving the ball down the field with ease, and even getting some chunk plays. At other times we looked like absolute trash with the 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense.

It was inexcusable to call 3 straight runs up the gut in the first quarter, including a dumb *** QB sneak from the 2 and 1/2 yard line. Then compound it by calling a terrible play out of a terrible formation on 4th and goal. If we get 3 points there, we’re going to OT. Instead, it’s just more corching that leads to another loss.

The D played terrible at times, but had a sequence between the 2nd and 4th quarters where they forced turnovers, and held the UNC jabronies to only 6 second half points.

We got good pressure at times with our D-line, and our LB’s had some bright moments and big plays. Our DB’s also made some big plays, while playing like straight garbage at times. Steele went way too conservative on UNC’s next-to-last drive, and it cost us 3 points.

Overall effort was much better, but effort alone won’t get it done. Once again, way too many plays were left on the field.

If we start the game playing aggressively, and letting TVD play from the spread/RPO with tempo, I think that we see a different end result. I hope this finally serves as a lesson to Mario and Gattis that this is what they have to predominantly run with TVD at the helm.

I still have some hope for Mario, but it’s dwindling quickly. With the amount of years that he’s had as a head coach by now, one would think that he would not make the same mistakes over and over again with scheme fits, wasted time-outs, etc…

Another loss to a team that we should have defeated. As of now I see us at 4-8 with a floor of 2-10.

Overall fair....not disagreeing on the OL but they also have a bunch of injuries today.

Anyone who thought the OL would be a strength, that's on you.

You've seen their past performance. It wasn't ever going to be much different.

Advertisement
…go all around.

I’ll start with Rooster’s fumble. At that point of the game, you CANNOT fumble unless you get destroyed by a defender. He just looked like he didn’t have the ball secured. That was a game killer!

Now that I got that out of the way…

TVD played lights out, despite Mario and Gattis’s efforts throughout the game to fugg everything up. He passed for almost 500 yards and 3 TD’s, and looked poised throughout the game, and had a very high completion percentage.

You have to be blind to not see that he looked like a different player when we ran spread/RPO and up tempo. Every time that we slowed the game down and forced him to look at the sideline, or played in bunch formations, we struggled offensively.

The announcers and Mike Luginbill all said that running up tempo and spread let TVD not have to think too much. They also said that he finally looked like the same great player that they saw last season. Hmmm…I wonder why? 🤔

Our WR’s looked way better than any other game this season. Also a result of not having to think as much, and just playing. Not a perfect game by them, but big improvement catching the ball and getting open. Colby Young was outstanding in the little bit of time he got. What the **** has this kid been doing riding the bench? Insanity.

B.Smith and Key Smith had strong games, and Mallory showed up for the most part, even though his 3rd down dropped pass killed us. Overall he had his best game in a long time.

Our OL was terrible all game long. Our running game was once again stuffed, and TVD was under duress all game long. They were getting pressure on him with 4 man fronts and 5-men blitzes. That last drive was brutal. TVD made several great plays to extend the drive, as he was under constant pressure.

This is specially concerning because the OL was supposed to be a strength of this team, with Mario and Mirabal coaching them. So far they have played average to below average. Way too many missed blocks and assignments.

The play calling was hot and cold. At times we looked great, moving the ball down the field with ease, and even getting some chunk plays. At other times we looked like absolute trash with the 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense.

It was inexcusable to call 3 straight runs up the gut in the first quarter, including a dumb *** QB sneak from the 2 and 1/2 yard line. Then compound it by calling a terrible play out of a terrible formation on 4th and goal. If we get 3 points there, we’re going to OT. Instead, it’s just more corching that leads to another loss.

The D played terrible at times, but had a sequence between the 2nd and 4th quarters where they forced turnovers, and held the UNC jabronies to only 6 second half points.

We got good pressure at times with our D-line, and our LB’s had some bright moments and big plays. Our DB’s also made some big plays, while playing like straight garbage at times. Steele went way too conservative on UNC’s next-to-last drive, and it cost us 3 points.

Overall effort was much better, but effort alone won’t get it done. Once again, way too many plays were left on the field.

If we start the game playing aggressively, and letting TVD play from the spread/RPO with tempo, I think that we see a different end result. I hope this finally serves as a lesson to Mario and Gattis that this is what they have to predominantly run with TVD at the helm.

I still have some hope for Mario, but it’s dwindling quickly. With the amount of years that he’s had as a head coach by now, one would think that he would not make the same mistakes over and over again with scheme fits, wasted time-outs, etc…

Another loss to a team that we should have defeated. As of now I see us at 4-8 with a floor of 2-10.
I thought the OLine was excellent in pass protection - TVD had a lot of time to throw. There were a few busts, but those happen when teams send more than you can block.

The run blocking was another matter - but again it was another team that stacked the box and dared us to throw (before we completely abandoned the run).

I thought the OLine was excellent in pass protection - TVD had a lot of time to throw. There were a few busts, but those happen when teams send more than you can block.

The run blocking was another matter - but again it was another team that stacked the box and dared us to throw (before we completely abandoned the run).
I agree, I didn't see the colossal failure in the OL like some saw. They made more good plays than bad plays. I can't see a qb passing for 400+ yards and the OL being egregious. I think we lost for the same reasons we've been losing all year because either we're failing to exercute in critical situations or we've coached our way out of a good situation with bad play calling.

Everyone is making mistakes. But our leader has to fix his mistakes first. Then we can start working our way down the line.

Advertisement
Perhaps you aren't watching the same games the rest of us are friend.
What are you basing this assesment on specifically? The eyeball test?

I'm certainly not singing their praises, but we lost 2 centers, shuffled the line around and TVD was still able to get a **** of a lot of passes off. There were communication breakdowns for sure but overall they get a C+ from me. And thats adding the bad run game into the equation.

Very solid post my friend. I thought you made some very interesting points. From what I could see the OL struggled and that's on Mirabel and Mario. Again so many wasted opportunities and definitely impressed with MARIO. He better change his ways because he's nothing more than a real good recruiter and administrator. I hope I'm wrong but he is not the man along with Gattis.

What are you basing this assesment on specifically? The eyeball test?

I'm certainly not singing their praises, but we lost 2 centers, shuffled the line around and TVD was still able to get a **** of a lot of passes off. There were communication breakdowns for sure but overall they get a C+ from me. And thats adding the bad run game into the equation.
The OL is averaging what, barely 1 yd+/carry more than me sitting on the sofa with no carries.

They have been, and remain horrendous. They are a liability of this Miami program going back years. This is not hard to see and the data screams it. They couldn't gain 6" on QB sneak.

Play at AtM was a mirage. Aggies should be embarrassed Miami ran like they did behind such a useless and inept OL room.

Goodness gracious, I suspect a team of Dade/Broward HS OL all-stars would at least play as good, probably better.

The OL is averaging what, barely 1 yd+/carry more than me sitting on the sofa with no carries.

They have been, and remain horrendous. They are a liability of this Miami program going back years. This is not hard to see and the data screams it. They couldn't gain 6" on QB sneak.

Play at AtM was a mirage. Aggies should be embarrassed Miami ran like they did behind such a useless and inept OL room.

Goodness gracious, I suspect a team of Dade/Broward HS OL all-stars would at least play as good, probably better.
So you give them a D or an F for the season?

Advertisement

... so Cristobal and Gattis were doing everything they could "f**k everything up", but the defense gets a pass?

How come Gene Chizik always knew when to dial up a blitz and to get pressure on Van Dyke—yet Steele couldn't do the same? Miami needed to convert third and fourth downs, UNC's defense was swarming. Miami needed to get a third or fourth down stop, the Heels just fell for easy yards and converted.

The vendetta against Gattis is tiresome. People need to have the venom towards defense issues as they do a vanilla offense, or players not making plays.

Kitchens not supporting Stevenson on that long touchdown, Couch with the end zone interception drop, allowing a sack on TVD setting up a 53-yard missed field goal, Knighton fumbling, etc.—all of this had more to do with the loss than offensive play calling.

Good grief, Miami puts up 508 yards and is airing it out all day and it's still Gattis' fault.

Canes couldn't run the ball yesterday, yet when Gattis is committed to running instead of throwing—he gets roasted there, too.

This fan base can't even keep is frustration narratives straight.

Advertisement
Many posters on this board said that the OL would be much improved and a strength of the team, as did our insiders. Many people said that Mario and Miralbal’s coaching acumen would get the OL right.

After the FAMU game, many posters were crowning the OL, and some were still crowning them after the Southern Miss game, and even some still were like giddy little school girls, saying how we had out gained aTm by a bunch of yards, and our OL had physically dominated them. You must have missed those posts.

Now kindly go **** yourself or your mother, or sister. Whichever one you prefer.
Removing the extremes of some weird posters out there that can’t be helped

Yesterday was tough. Injuries didn’t help but we got whipped up front by a horrendous defense

That crippling set where we came away with no points was a tough one. I’m good with the coaches being like “OL go do your jobs” there

It didn’t work out unfortunately

I had a dilemma watching that myself. Knowing we can’t kick field goals and keep up with UNC (turns out maybe we could) but also losing two OL on two plays when we couldn’t move them an inch…I wouldn’t have hated a field goal there just to at least assess injuries

But coulda woulda shoulda

Never should have come to that

... so Cristobal and Gattis were doing everything they could "f**k everything up", but the defense gets a pass?

How come Gene Chizik always knew when to dial up a blitz and to get pressure on Van Dyke—yet Steele couldn't do the same? Miami needed to convert third and fourth downs, UNC's defense was swarming. Miami needed to get a third or fourth down stop, the Heels just fell for easy yards and converted.

The vendetta against Gattis is tiresome. People need to have the venom towards defense issues as they do a vanilla offense, or players not making plays.

Kitchens not supporting Stevenson on that long touchdown, Couch with the end zone interception drop, allowing a sack on TVD setting up a 53-yard missed field goal, Knighton fumbling, etc.—all of this had more to do with the loss than offensive play calling.

Good grief, Miami puts up 508 yards and is airing it out all day and it's still Gattis' fault.

Canes couldn't run the ball yesterday, yet when Gattis is committed to running instead of throwing—he gets roasted there, too.

This fan base can't even keep is frustration narratives straight.
I didn’t give the defense “a pass.”

I clearly placed blame on the D and Steele, too:

@Empirical Cane, @CaneTheGaytors

You're both really good posters. Please let it go.
Moderator Gopdebate 2015 GIF

Advertisement
Back