Please tell me Lashlee was holding back

Advertisement
I was wondering if I can find anyone that would have an issue with or complain about my boy’s IG account. But this This thread gave me hope!!

I’ve watched a lot of Lashlee from Auburn, Uconn, and SMU. If something is working, he’s going to keep running it until the defense shows it can stop it.

UAB couldn’t handle the zone read (our staple running play) so that’s what’s going to be called over and over. We saw some RPO, saw some deep shots, and some QB draws. Lashlee will continue to build the offense out and add wrinkles each week and change the play calling based on what the defense is doing.
You mean he’s not choosing plays to appease the CIS posters who look for any reason to call for a coaches job? Weird

Advertisement
You would have to go back to his time at Auburn to get game tape of a Rhett Lashlee offense with a running quarterback. His QBs at UConn and SMU were pocket passers. So yes, you can watch game film from 5 years ago but if you believe hasn’t added anything or changed anything in 5 years, you should stay away from the coaching profession.

I’m guessing you’re one of the people who believes the offense wasn’t purposely vanilla on Thursday night. If that was the case, what would be the reason for Lashlee throwing 90% of his playbook in the garbage? You said it yourself, there’s all sorts of game film of his offense at previous stops and it shows a **** of a lot more than what we saw in game one. So either you believe he purposely threw his playbook in the garbage or he purposely kept the game plan vanilla in week one.

I don’t believe he kept it vanilla because he is trying to hide something. I think the game plan was to work with less plays and get more efficient with those. I think they introduce more next game and attempt the same thing. This is not some seasoned group who can rev it up with the whole playbook.

I don’t subscribe to this theory that it was kept simple to then turnaround and have some grand unveiling next game.

Some of this simple stuff is because the offensive personnel, as a whole, is young or was mediocre last year.

Advertisement
To my eye we used zero or very little RPO. Pretty sure thats been a part of Lashlees offense in previous stops. Also, once UAB scored to make it 17-14 I thought Lashlee used noticeable more variety in his play calling. If he wasn’t holding back a little or being blatantly vanilla then we should probably all be pretty worried about the offense

edit: on the rewatch we did show more than a little rpo. King was just handing off to the rb the majority of the time.
We scored on the next two drives, both seven plays, and we threw the ball three of those seven plays on each drive. My belief is they were committed to the run to instill some toughness and physicalness. Something we've been lacking on offense for quite some time. When the game got tight in the 3rd, Lashlee opened up the offense and we scored two touchdowns.

I'm really excited to come back to this thread after the Clemson game and call out every single one of you abject morons that thinks the playbook was wide open yesterday.

The level of stupidity on display in this thread is astonishing.
No doubt they were committed to being physical and seeing if we could be mentally tough. When the game got tight early in the 3rd, Lashlee mixed up the offense. We three times on both seven play scoring drives. King was 5 for 6 for 72 yards and a touchdown pass.

Advertisement
I have a hard time believing he wasn't. But this week should be telling, because they are playing a very good offensive team this upcoming week, and if there is a game where 40+ points -- its vs LVille.

Holding back is dumb. Football is about execution, not X's and O's gimmicks.

Steve Spurrier never held a closed practice. For exactly that reason. Who gives a **** if the other team knows your playbook. Football is about executing your role and beating the man in front of you, period.

IF we were holding back, it had nothing to do with ACC teams scouting us. Maybe we didn't have time to install the whole playbook with limited practice.
Holding back is smart. For example, UAB held back and deployed a defensive scheme UM wasnt prepared for. Actually kept them in the game for 3 quarters. If they had a better QB, maybe they win that game.

If the other team has no idea what we'll do, they may prepare for something we dont even run, giving us the advantage until they adjust. IF they adjust.

Advertisement
I’ve watched a lot of Lashlee from Auburn, Uconn, and SMU. If something is working, he’s going to keep running it until the defense shows it can stop it.

UAB couldn’t handle the zone read (our staple running play) so that’s what’s going to be called over and over. We saw some RPO, saw some deep shots, and some QB draws. Lashlee will continue to build the offense out and add wrinkles each week and change the play calling based on what the defense is doing.
Dang we won’t get the lets pick a play out of hat offense? We have hundreds of plays and each has to be executed perfectly to work? Let’s see what we grab on this down.
Remember those miserable days? I love a coach who is comfortable in their own skin to where they will call a fullback dive 7 times in a row if you can’t stop it. no need to be cute or show they have a Rolodex if formations and plays. Gimme a guy who sees weakness and exploits it.

Go watch lashlee offense from last year and compare it to watch you saw last night and you have your answer. Everybody not richt or enos

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Has anyone seen him call plays elsewhere? Okay, it's easy to tell who has in this thread as that's not all he has by any stretch in his playbook.

Want to argue he lost his memory and playbook? I suppose we can go to that fantasy land and chop it up.

This thread is hysterical.

We struggled to separate ourselves until the 4th quarter. Get real man. We did not hold back. I could accept "we did not execute well" but for God's sake stop with all the "holding back" BS.

When we blow teams out that are far less capable I never here anyone say "we were holding back". So once again stop it with the H-B shiggity.
Look at the play selection. It was run after run for the most part. There were some basic pass plays, but nothing really creative, except for a few in the third quarter, so they could get some separation. They scored two quick touchdown, then went right back to running the ball over and over. Compare that to what he's done at Auburn, UConn, and SMU. The players also said the offense was installed fairly quickly during the little bit of spring and then summer practices. After that, it was just repetition. If there is not a huge difference in the playcalling against Louisville, then I'm dead wrong, but I still think he was holding back as much as he could, and still win the game, so Louisville had no film to use.

I don't think "holding back" is the correct description. More than likely, the playbook was limited to the few plays we could execute best.

Advertisement
Back