Please relax.

How many teams in the country this season would beat both Alabama and Michigan State? Probably zero. Maybe one.

At the start of the season, most reasonable fans here (which is probably only about 5% of the total) were expecting improvement. In other words, expecting 9 or 10 wins. That was completely reasonable based on the information we had at that time. We didn't know Michigan State was this good so we counted that as a win. But go back to August, and tell the reasonable fans then that Michigan State would be a top five team, and that King, Harris, Chaney and Bolden would be out for the season, and that expectation of 10 wins obviously goes down to 7 or 8. If you don't see that, as knowledgeable as you are, then you aren't part of the 5%.
UGA and Texas A&M could for starters. Probably the suckeyes too.

10 wins was the acceptable regular season number. Losing to bama and dropping one against some team that is way better than they should be (MSU). But losing 2 more to a bad UVA and UNC team is already unacceptable. Not to mention the bad roster management and literally the things that we are the worst at (Tackling, Discipline, LBs, Defensive playcalling) being directly the things our HC is responsible for.

I could maybe give an additional loss if we have a good bowl game against a good team. But you are crazy thinking we won't lose one somewhere down the line. Either way, of all years (especially with how bad Clemson is) we could have actually won an ACCCG with this roster and the competition and we've pretty much screwed ourselves there already. That's why people have problems.

Let's see actual adjustments based on something besides injuries and start winning games by 20+ points for the rest of the season and we'll talk.

Advertisement
The defense lacks talent because the dc sucks at recruiting. His side of the ball is where the biggest holes exist on the roster. Lb , cb and DL recruiting is what’s put him in this position. Ironically he did himself in.
Funny to think about the possibility of if he had been promoted a year earlier and maybe kept the first LB coach we hired this off-season or if he had gotten the DCs he wanted...

We are also a play away from losing to App State and another play away from losing to NC State and maybe 2 or 3 plays away from losing to Pitt. As far as I'm concerned we've even out on those 50-50 type games to go 2-2.
It's a bit different, against Virginia and NC we had the ball inside the 15 ready to win the games but missed a FG and and had the ball get tipped at the like of scrimmage for a freak INT. Pitt and NC State weren't in a position to win the game at the end

Another example is Couch. He looked real good last year. Probably our best man corner. What happened to him? And he has DB guru Trob now. The same Trob that had Ivey being the next Horn.
Maybe we bbb btw thats banda not butch😁

I have been critical as **** of Diaz and even more so on the admin, but **** y'all insufferable lol. The team played their **** off two weeks in a row, give the man some credit for two pretty good wins in a row with a lot of noise after some tough losses.
You are correct. Manny has pulled the team together after the crushing losses to UVA and UNC. Our kids are playing their tails off for him. Given all the injuries, he has done a remarkable job these last two weeks. I think we have a real chance to run the table and I hope we do.

He has held it together knowing that another loss would end his career here. That is really getting it done under pressure.

In my opinion, the jury is still out on Manny. If we finish 6-6, sadly, I think he should go. If we finish 8-4, you can easily make a case for him to stay. Blake, on the other hand, needs to go.

Advertisement
Idk what makes people think we winning out. Obviously haven’t paid attention to Miami football the last 20 years

Amen.

Kiss of death winning these two games they were supposed to lose, on paper.

Diaz-led Canes are now 'expected' to beat everyone left on the schedule, which all but guarantees a brain fart and at least one more loss.

Not to mention, it took an MVP-like outing from TVD back-to-back games to win both by a combined five points. The minute dude stops playing like Superman, Miami's defense won't get bailed out offensively and UM drops another one this season, at minimum.

This is still a 2-6 football team—as Manny's defense has given up almost 2,000 yards and 139 points over past four games combined—but 800 yards, seven touchdowns and only one pick by his quarterback (not to mention drops by NCST, the fumble recover turned over when dude lost his helmet and Pickett's two ill-advised throws that led to interceptions) gifted Manny games he really didn't earn.

You are correct. Manny has pulled the team together after the crushing losses to UVA and UNC. Our kids are playing their tails off for him. Given all the injuries, he has done a remarkable job these last two weeks. I think we have a real chance to run the table and I hope we do.

He has held it together knowing that another loss would end his career here. That is really getting it done under pressure.

In my opinion, the jury is still out on Manny. If we finish 6-6, sadly, I think he should go. If we finish 8-4, you can easily make a case for him to stay. Blake, on the other hand, needs to go.

So the future of Miami football should rest on the difference between 8-4 and 6-6?

THIS is precisely why so many were rooting for this 2021 season to just got down in flames—because the future of the program shouldn't hang on how Miami closes against GT, FSY, VT and Duke.

Everyone singing this "the kids played their *** off" stuff—this defense gave up 587 yards and 34 points to Pitt and was bailed out because TVD put up Heisman-like numbers two weeks in a row. Period.

Dropped balls by NCST, the overturned fumble and TVD's efforts—that was the difference between 31-30 and 42-24—while Pickett's two lame-duck picks and Van Dyke's big outing were difference between 38-34 and a 37-20 loss.

Manny Diaz took over this defense and it got worse—and if not for a miracle outing by a freshman quarterback—he is out a job this morning, sitting at 2-6.

The fact a superhuman performance at quarterback the past eight quarters turned 2-4 into 4-4 and that the Canes can theoretically win out, behind massive offensive performances masking shoddy defense—this is a real mental-midget way we're now forced to look at the big picture for Miami football; so many feasting on empty-calorie wins over sub-par ACC teams (after a brutal 2-4 start that will now "excuse" 7-5) instead of rooting for macro-level change that would only come if 2021 completely bottomed out.

These last two wins keep Miami mediocre and all but guarantee an 8-4 type ceiling moving forward .... but yay, kids are rewarded for playing hard and stole a couple wins.

I understand but we have been playing better the last 4 Weeks, are we the Miami we saw against Michigan State or the one we saw the last two weeks? We're a play or two away from being 6-2. Next 4 games will tell a lot
We're also a play or two from being 2-6.

The defense is the same. The primary difference has been the emergence of Van Dyke. Having a defense this bad makes a every game challenging.

Yeah the offense is definitely carrying the team. Do we have the talent to have a good defense though? Lots of young guys and the LB Core is laughable. If Manny does come back he needs to hire a DC to run a new defense. Pretty sad we have to do that because our defensive minded HC couldn't get the job done
We have the talent to be better than we're playing.

Advertisement
So the future of Miami football should rest on the difference between 8-4 and 6-6?

THIS is precisely why so many were rooting for this 2021 season to just got down in flames—because the future of the program shouldn't hang on how Miami closes against GT, FSY, VT and Duke.

Everyone singing this "the kids played their *** off" stuff—this defense gave up 587 yards and 34 points to Pitt and was bailed out because TVD put up Heisman-like numbers two weeks in a row. Period.

Dropped balls by NCST, the overturned fumble and TVD's efforts—that was the difference between 31-30 and 42-24—while Pickett's two lame-duck picks and Van Dyke's big outing were difference between 38-34 and a 37-20 loss.

Manny Diaz took over this defense and it got worse—and if not for a miracle outing by a freshman quarterback—he is out a job this morning, sitting at 2-6.

The fact a superhuman performance at quarterback the past eight quarters turned 2-4 into 4-4 and that the Canes can theoretically win out, behind massive offensive performances masking shoddy defense—this is a real mental-midget way we're now forced to look at the big picture for Miami football; so many feasting on empty-calorie wins over sub-par ACC teams (after a brutal 2-4 start that will now "excuse" 7-5) instead of rooting for macro-level change that would only come if 2021 completely bottomed out.

These last two wins keep Miami mediocre and all but guarantee an 8-4 type ceiling moving forward .... but yay, kids are rewarded for playing hard and stole a couple wins.
If he ends up being the szn on a 6-2 run with a RS freshman QB..yeah that’s impressive

We're also a play or two from being 2-6.

The defense is the same. The primary difference has been the emergence of Van Dyke. Having a defense this bad makes a every game challenging.
I understand that but college football is more offensive driven now. Defensive scheme does need an overhaul though

We have the talent to be better than we're playing.
We have Zero P5 starting caliber LBs. Our DEs can't get consistent pressure. Our Safeties are young and talented but very inexperienced. We have one decent CB in Stevenson, Couch has regressed under T-Rob. We have some talent on defense but it's probably the least talented defense we have had since the Golden days, now if you want to blame that on Manny I totally understand. The fact we didn't bring in any transfer LBs was one of the dumbest things I've seen Manny do.

I have been critical as **** of Diaz and even more so on the admin, but **** y'all insufferable lol. The team played their **** off two weeks in a row, give the man some credit for two pretty good wins in a row with a lot of noise after some tough losses.
They won in spite of that clown

Advertisement
We have Zero P5 starting caliber LBs. Our DEs can't get consistent pressure. Our Safeties are young and talented but very inexperienced. We have one decent CB in Stevenson, Couch has regressed under T-Rob. We have some talent on defense but it's probably the least talented defense we have had since the Golden days, now if you want to blame that on Manny I totally understand. The fact we didn't bring in any transfer LBs was one of the dumbest things I've seen Manny do.
We're ranked something like 93th in defense. Do you really feel we have less talent than the likes of Buffalo, Bowling Green, or Cent Michigan? How about those P5 dynamos Maryland, Illinois, Tennessee? Even FSU is rated 68th and Fla Atlantic 64th. (At least we beat out FIU at 128th).

I’ve tried to be fair to Flagg, I always try to give a guy a chance to show me if he belongs, and that guy is not a Miami caliber started.

You don’t have to be the most twitchy or explosive guy if you’re a smart , but this dude is lumbering and slow as f. He’s a better 44. I was told he’s changed his body and his speed would improve. Well that’s a big no.
I was Flaggs biggest defender because I said it wasnt his fault the staff went all in on Justin Flowe and whiffed so Flagg was Plan B. I thought he could have been UM caliber over time but man its just tough to see him out there. In order to keep him out there the next 2 years you literally need to have an elite level DL and an elite level Striker and WLB to cover up for him.

Advertisement

What has no D Manny pulled together? Injuries forced new qb, center and rb. That got the offense going. Defense as bad as ever. Team includes offense and defense.

1635793015766.png

Advertisement
Back