Plays that you want to see Miami run.

The kickoff return we had against Duke a few years back with no time on the clock was my favorite play. We should draw that up again.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This is a one high beater that I would love to see. TE route is important to keep the corner away from the field. Y is hopefully drawing attention from the one high safety, we used to tell him to run at the safety if he ever runs away from you (releases deep to cover the post) look for the ball but he never released deep. Z and X are supposed to cause confusion but even if a team switches this right, whoever is covering x will be out of position to make the play. You can really run this with any personnel, as long as you keep to those principles. I liked seeing more heavy personnel to force the defense into one high.

Attachments

• 3x1-post-12personel.jpg
    3x1-post-12personel.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 12
They actually do run a triple option play but instead of a pitch man, the third option is a receiver (usually a tight end) in the flats. It’s basically a zone read but the QB has the option of the short throw of a defender leaves his responsibility to play the QB run.

There will be a ton more outside zone (Lashlee ran it extensively at SMU) this year. If you watched his offenses at SMU or even UCONN, you know we didn’t get the whole package last season. A second year in the system (SMU improved by over 100 yards a game in Lashlee’s second year) and a better run blocking line will allow for more variety in play calling. A lot of people think offense is like a video game where your team can execute every play in the playbook equally well. The real world isn’t like that. You have to work with the talent and experience on hand. Not everyone masters all aspects of an offense easily.

Smash (allll the Smash)

Y-stick ISO

RPO with QB lead (Oklahoma ran it with Hurts)

Lots and lots of jet motion, even with decoy

Orbit motion, even as decoy

Design the offense around RPO rules where can block downfield

Mesh variations

Outside zone RPO’s

Counter-lead out of split zone

I could go all day but this is how I’d build my offense.
nerd;)

Advertisement
Smash (allll the Smash)

Y-stick ISO

RPO with QB lead (Oklahoma ran it with Hurts)

Lots and lots of jet motion, even with decoy

Orbit motion, even as decoy

Design the offense around RPO rules where can block downfield

Mesh variations

Outside zone RPO’s

Counter-lead out of split zone

I could go all day but this is how I’d build my offense.
boner alert GIF

Advertisement
I would love to see any increased misdirection. The counter trey examples are just a sample. Naked bootlegs in key short yardage situations with a tight end trailer if they key on the QB would be great to see once in a while (I retract this statement if King is in at QB, as I'd be too nervous he'd get hit), and more QB pump fakes to get their DBs to bite. It doesn't have to be double-reverses, but the QB jab step with the throw to the TE was one of our most successful plays last year (I don't know if that play failed even once and almost resulted in a TD every time).

The better and more aggressive the defense, the more we should be mixing in the misdirection so we have football judo/jiu-jitsu and turn their strengths against them. Just getting the opponents defense to hesitate even a little, seemed to open up big plays for us last year. If you want the key to have any chance at staying within two or three touchdowns of Alabama, we have to keep them off-balance. The ultimate clinic of an overpowered opponent keeping the stronger team off-balance was that 2007 Fiesta Bowl in which Boise St gave Oklahoma fits all game.

More reverses and jet sweeps and run them early. You get LBs moving parallel and then you can run that motion and run the inside zone he loves so much with a chance to break it open.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back