Playoffs

Advertisement
I totally agree. A team that doesn't play for a conference championship shouldn't be considered for the CFP, but that's what exactly happened in 2017 when Auburn won the SEC West beating Alabama in the regular season. Auburn lost to UGA in the conference title game, then Alabama gets rewarded for not playing in the conference championship game. I think it's garbage. They gave them an extra week of rest and Alabama didn't have to risk losing a second game. If Auburn had 2 losses when they beat Alabama, the Alabama would have gone to the SEC championship game and no way would the SEC gets 2 teams into the CFP.

Conference championships should mean something. I don't care if one conference is stacked vs others. The NFL doesn't reward teams that play in tougher divisions. College football should have an team playoff with all 5 conference champions plus the 3 highest ranked teams not a P5 conference champion. That system places value on conference champions and allows independents, non P5 schools, and highly ranked schools an opportunity.
What if a 3 loss Coastal team like UVA picks off Clemson because Lawrence gets injured for the game? Does UVA deserve the playoffs because they put it all together for one night? I think the conference champs might need to make a minimum ranking.

What if a 3 loss Coastal team like UVA picks off Clemson because Lawrence gets injured for the game? Does UVA deserve the playoffs because they put it all together for one night? I think the conference champs might need to make a minimum ranking.
There’s a huge difference betweeen saying conf champs authomatically get it, on the one hand, and you’re just not eligible of you don’t win your division. You can say the latter and still not feel conf champs automatically get in.

I disagree. It’s the wrong way to understand what happened.

Wisconsin, Nebraska, MSU and Wisconsin were all ranked pre-season. Ohio state destroyed them. They obliterated Cincy 42-0, and Cincy is ranked 17, and has beaten UCLA, UCF and Houston.

No team has been competitive with Ohio State so far.

LSU has been less dominant, and hasn’t beaten a team OSU wouldn’t destroy. The circular overrating of the SEC mid tier teams is why people say LSU’s schedule is so great.

Nebraska and MSU both are bad and incomplete teams. Cincy is a good team, but was clearly overwhelmed from a talent standpoint against OSU. Wisconsin is good and it was a good win for OSU. I say that LSU is the second best team out there right now and have to beat Alabama to earn that title, but id take either over OSU at this point.

Advertisement
Meh. They edged auburn at home, beat a good not great florida team at home, beat a crappy tx team on road by a td. I hafe no doubt OSU wins those games also.

OSU has handled all thown their way, dominated NW at NW. If they beat PSU and Michigan, don’t see how that is any less than LSU. LSU has one really tough game in Bama, Ohio gets PSU.

Well this is all you had to say here. Dominated NW at NW. Might as well just hand then the NC trophy. There is only one team in CFB history that could have dominated NW at NW and that is THE 2019 OSU Suckeyes.

It is time to expand playoffs to 8 teams.. 5 conference winners and best 3 at large...

I will do you one better. 6 team playoff. 5 conference winners and Notre Dame automatically gets the 6th spot assuming they have at least 5 regular season wins. Then the SECC and Notre Dame both get 1st round byes.

If UGA wins out - very possible - it faces the Alabama - LSU winner for the SEC title.

If UGA wins the SEC championship game, you will have two SEC teams in the playoff, but not the AL/LSU loser.

If UGA loses the SEC title game, it’ll get dissed with 2 losses, but would have as good a claim as a 1 loss team (either Alabama or LSU) that didn’t have to play for the conference title.

I continue to think no team should be eligible for the playoffs if they dont play for their conference title. Fail to win your division, no dice, sorry.

Meanwhile, similar dynamic in the Big 10. If PSU beats MN, then it is shaping up to have a similar argument for the playoffs as the loser of Alabama - LSU.

IMO, the reason OSU isn’t getting ranked #1 is because the SEC shills know that means PSU will have as good or better a claim to the playoffs as the loser of the Alabama - LSU game.

OSU should be ranked 1, moreover, and if PSU plays them close, it’s going to be a brutal selection process. Again, it would be better to just say no one who doesn’t make it out of their division is eligible.

Clemson will make it.

And we didn’t even get to what if Baylor and or Oregon win out.

Yup why this whole system is still a farce of a playoff.

No. Win your conference, your in. Too much emphasis on a committee deciding who's better. Just like college basketball. Win your league and your in the tournament. The 3 committee picks would give highly ranked teams an opportunity to make it in if there were some perceived anomaly.

I've really gone tired of college football trying to "predict" the champions. The beauty of sport is the unpredictability. The 2011 New York Giants made it to the playoffs as a wildcard with a 9-7 record. They defeated the heavily favored New England Patriots to become Super Bowl Champions. No one complained that the Giants didn't deserve to be there. In fact they were celebrated as a "David taking down Goliath."

IMO, the 8 team playoff is the best format for college football. It rewards conference champions and still gives other "deserving" teams and opportunity. Those like Nick Saban crying that it would add an extra game that harms the safety of the athletes is pure BS. The FCS plays a 16 game playoff EVERY year. That equates to exactly the same number of games played for a P5 conference champion winning a national championship in an 8 team playoff format. There are only 2 teams that would play 16 games and there would be plenty of time for rest before the championship game. Also, you didn't hear Sabin complaining when his team won the 2018 national championship playing 1 less game because they didn't win the SEC West. Sabin is complaining about an 8 team playoff because he knows an extra game is another opportunity to lose. The more teams in the playoff decreases the probability of a team winning the title. Isn't the unpredictability what we all like in sports?

Advertisement
There’s a huge difference betweeen saying conf champs authomatically get it, on the one hand, and you’re just not eligible of you don’t win your division. You can say the latter and still not feel conf champs automatically get in.
Still, I suppose thats the price you pay if you guarantee Conf. Champs... but the Playoffs in CF should be about 12-1, 13-0 teams.

No. Win your conference, your in. Too much emphasis on a committee deciding who's better. Just like college basketball. Win your league and your in the tournament. The 3 committee picks would give highly ranked teams an opportunity to make it in if there were some perceived anomaly.

I've really gone tired of college football trying to "predict" the champions. The beauty of sport is the unpredictability. The 2011 New York Giants made it to the playoffs as a wildcard with a 9-7 record. They defeated the heavily favored New England Patriots to become Super Bowl Champions. No one complained that the Giants didn't deserve to be there. In fact they were celebrated as a "David taking down Goliath."

IMO, the 8 team playoff is the best format for college football. It rewards conference champions and still gives other "deserving" teams and opportunity. Those like Nick Saban crying that it would add an extra game that harms the safety of the athletes is pure BS. The FCS plays a 16 game playoff EVERY year. That equates to exactly the same number of games played for a P5 conference champion winning a national championship in an 8 team playoff format. There are only 2 teams that would play 16 games and there would be plenty of time for rest before the championship game. Also, you didn't hear Sabin complaining when his team won the 2018 national championship playing 1 less game because they didn't win the SEC West. Sabin is complaining about an 8 team playoff because he knows an extra game is another opportunity to lose. The more teams in the playoff decreases the probability of a team winning the title. Isn't the unpredictability what we all like in sports?
I think what makes the CF playoff unique is that its the elite teams. I dont have any interest in an 8-4 National Champion that caught a hot streak. I say leave that to the NFL... a league I havent watched in over a decade.

Advertisement
Advertisement
You guys are underrating the SEC. I think Alabama, Georgia, and LSU are all top 4 or 5 teams. At least two from the SEC should get in.
UGA clearly has the best defense in the SEC, but that South Carolina loss hurts bad. Their only chance is winning out and winning the SEC

Still, I suppose thats the price you pay if you guarantee Conf. Champs... but the Playoffs in CF should be about 12-1, 13-0 teams.
I’d ge fine with an 8 team playoff that included the 5 P5 conf champs plus 3 at large teams. I’d still prefer exclusion of teams that don’t win their division. Otherwise you should assume they have an extra loss. It should never be an advantage to avoid making the conf title game. That’s an awful dynamic.

I’d ge fine with an 8 team playoff that included the 5 P5 conf champs plus 3 at large teams. I’d still prefer exclusion of teams that don’t win their division. Otherwise you should assume they have an extra loss. It should never be an advantage to avoid making the conf title game. That’s an awful dynamic.
What if lets say in a given year... FSU & Clemson play Miami... FSU beats Miami close but loses to Clemson close. Miami loses to FSU close, but beats Clemson close in the ACC CG and all teams only have 1 loss. FSU misses out on ACC CG, but theyre ranked really high. Miami is in because they won ACC CG, Clemson could be in even though they lost to the team FSU beat, even if FSU is now ranked higher? Dont get me wrong... I LOVE talking about these scenarios. Im not sure you can exclude FSU by default there, just like I dont think an 8-4 conference champ should get in.

What if lets say in a given year... FSU & Clemson play Miami... FSU beats Miami close but loses to Clemson close. Miami loses to FSU close, but beats Clemson close in the ACC CG and all teams only have 1 loss. FSU misses out on ACC CG, but theyre ranked really high. Miami is in because they won ACC CG, Clemson could be in even though they lost to the team FSU beat, even if FSU is now ranked higher? Dont get me wrong... I LOVE talking about these scenarios. Im not sure you can exclude FSU by default there, just like I dont think an 8-4 conference champ should get in.
There will always be what if’s. But it’s a playoff. If you lose your division, gtfo, imo. Alabama shouldn’t benefit by losing to LSU and avoiding having to play UGA. Nothing wrong with a team with a couple losses making it, either. That’s part of what makes the NCAA tournament in basketball so much fun.

Advertisement
Back