Playoffs

They have better wins than Ohio State. It’s not really even debatable. LSU will be #1. Ohio State should be #2, but Bama may get it just to have a #1 vs #2 matchup for hype. Clemson is #4

LSU has the stronger schedule. But Ohio State hasn't even been tested yet this season. If they do the same thing to Penn State and Michigan, best believe they're getting #1.

Advertisement
Strongly feel that playoffs should ONLY be Conference Champions

There is a once in a blue moon scenario where I can buy a Conference #2 over an incredibly poor (3, 4 loss type team) conference champion. But that shouldn't be on the table as much as it often is.

The media (ESPN and CBS) yanks the SEC so much early in the season to prop up ratings of early season games, its just influences everyone's opinion come playoff voting time.

They legit had Florida in the Top 10 all of the way up to this game. Auburn still floating just outside the Top 10 with two losses. These teams should be more like 17-23 range teams. Texas A&M still getting Top 25 votes and they are gahbage. Missouri was in the Top 25 until last week. Those teams at the top are legit (LSU, Bama, Georgia), but the middle class is just gassed up. Thats the real problem and it makes it "seem" like that SEC #2 or even #3 are never out of it and always the next man up when Pac12/BigXII inevitably stumble somewhere on the schedule.

This year...the loser of Bama/LSU is really still in the drivers seat. The resume just ends up too overwhelming and even if they are a bit gassed up. I'd still take conference champion 1-loss OU over 1-loss non-conference champ SEC #2.

Oh St
Clemson
SEC Winner
Pac-12 Winner (Oregon or Utah)

Oklahoma is out, losing to K State ruined their chances with the committee.
K-State is very good. Killed Kansas today and is 6-2. Really no worse than the Auburn team that almost lost to Ole Miss today.

Advertisement
They have better wins than Ohio State. It’s not really even debatable. LSU will be #1. Ohio State should be #2, but Bama may get it just to have a #1 vs #2 matchup for hype. Clemson is #4
I disagree. It’s the wrong way to understand what happened.

Wisconsin, Nebraska, MSU and Wisconsin were all ranked pre-season. Ohio state destroyed them. They obliterated Cincy 42-0, and Cincy is ranked 17, and has beaten UCLA, UCF and Houston.

No team has been competitive with Ohio State so far.

LSU has been less dominant, and hasn’t beaten a team OSU wouldn’t destroy. The circular overrating of the SEC mid tier teams is why people say LSU’s schedule is so great.

If OSU plays LSU, which I’d enjoy, I predict they win easily.

There is a once in a blue moon scenario where I can buy a Conference #2 over an incredibly poor (3, 4 loss type team) conference champion. But that shouldn't be on the table as much as it often is.

The media (ESPN and CBS) yanks the SEC so much early in the season to prop up ratings of early season games, its just influences everyone's opinion come playoff voting time.

They legit had Florida in the Top 10 all of the way up to this game. Auburn still floating just outside the Top 10 with two losses. These teams should be more like 17-23 range teams. Texas A&M still getting Top 25 votes and they are gahbage. Missouri was in the Top 25 until last week. Those teams at the top are legit (LSU, Bama, Georgia), but the middle class is just gassed up. Thats the real problem and it makes it "seem" like that SEC #2 or even #3 are never out of it and always the next man up when Pac12/BigXII inevitably stumble somewhere on the schedule.

This year...the loser of Bama/LSU is really still in the drivers seat. The resume just ends up too overwhelming and even if they are a bit gassed up. I'd still take conference champion 1-loss OU over 1-loss non-conference champ SEC #2.
Exactly. Seems like the loser of LSU/Bama is automatically in the playoffs

1. LSU
2. Ohio State
3. Clemson
4. Will be between (1 Loss Teams - Bama, Oklahoma, Oregon/Utah, Penn State)

My guess in this scenario, its Bama. So root for Auburn to beat Bama in the Iron Bowl

I think Ohio State does at this point. They have two tough games to end the year so we will see.
LSU has beaten Texas, Florida & Auburn. They got Bama, Texas A&M and what looks like UGA to finish the season.

Whereas Ohio State has beat Michigan State and Wisconsin.

I'm not sure how you think Ohio State has the better resume right now.

Advertisement
Assuming OSU wins out, they’re in along with Clemson, and the SEC champ.

There are a few SEC scenarios. Folks aren’t even processing what it would mean if UGA beats the Alabama - LSU winner.

My guess is Alabama wins out also, and we’re looking at a 1 loss LSU that didnt play in its conf title game, same with PSU. LSU gets that nod.
But if Baylor or Oregon win out, they’re in. And if Oklahoma wins out, they’ll have a very solid argument for inclusion over a SEC team that didn’t win its division.

I think it’s going to be harder than folks are assuming for two SEC teams to make it this year.

LSU has beaten Texas, Florida & Auburn. They got Bama, Texas A&M and what looks like UGA to finish the season.

I already addressed it. Ohio State has destroyed every team it has faced, and it’s faced 4 preseason top 25 teams + cincy, which is top 20 now. (And it finishes with PSU and Michigan.) LSU has been obviously less dominant and is getting too much credit for beating a few overrated mid level SEC teams. Also, early season loss timing is skewing perceptions here. A&M, Texas and Florida aren’t that good. And Auburn looks to be ok but not more than that. When all is said and done, Ohio State imo is clearly better and will be in the playoffs. LSU will make it if it wins the SEC, which I would assess as unlikely (<50%). But if they lose to Bama, which I expect, their fate will depend on other Teams losing.

Not sure how this is even a debate to be honest. LSU will be #1.

Why? Texas has proven to be extremely overrated and they won by two scores only with a last second TD.

And if you watched the Auburn game you can’t come out too impressed. Auburn is a bang average team. LSU struggled worse than Miami this year in the red zone against them and only won by 3 at home.

OSU is dominating unlike anyone in the nation has for a long time.

Just ask Wisconsin. Everyone pointed to the Badgers as OSUs ‘prove it’ game. I know Whisky was upset at Illinois the week before, but the Buckeyes’ 38-7 asswhipping was impressive.

Advertisement
The playoffs should be the first best teams.

• Undefeated P5 Conference winners should all get in
  • SEC Champion, regardless of losses, should always get in
  • Everyone else should be considered a top 4 team
So as it stands I see:
1) SEC Conference winner
2) Clemson (if they stay undefeated)
3) Ohio State or Minnesota (if the winner of the BIG Ten is undefeated)

PAC12, AAC, and BIG12 all will have winners with a loss

4) If Georgia wins the SEC and LSU or BAMA are undefeated going into the SEC Championship then LSU or BAMA should get a bid. If LSU or BAMA wins the SEC and the other did not lose any other games then the loser of the LSU and BAMA game should get in.

I know no one on this board is a fan of 2 SEC teams getting in the playoffs, but in my opinion of the scenario plays out as I mentioned above then two should get in.

Who the f#ck would ever in a million years think that Minnesota would have a legitimate shot at making the playoffs. Minnesota!

Why? Texas has proven to be extremely overrated and they won by two scores only with a last second TD.

And if you watched the Auburn game you can’t come out too impressed. Auburn is a bang average team. LSU struggled worse than Miami this year in the red zone against them and only won by 3 at home.

OSU is dominating unlike anyone in the nation has for a long time.

Hate to say it but I hold my breath waiting for the dam to break on every single OSU play from scrimmage, offense or defense, when I'm rooting for their opponent. Northwestern, Wisconsin, Cincinnati, doesnt matter. It's a total onslaught and the best football I've seen in a long time.

Advertisement
CFB Playoffs: 8 teams

5 P5 Conference Winners
3 At-Large Teams - lets a committee pick from conference game losers, Notre Dame (if good), and rare G5 team with a great season.

Problem solved.

Based on some assumptions today’s playoff could be:

Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon
Penn State, LSU, And 1 TBD between UGA, Baylor, Minnesota...

Lastly, the SEC and Big 10 need to resolve their power imbalances between divisions.

Last edited:
My guess as of now:

Clemson wins ACC, goes to playoffs.
Alabama wins SEC, goes to playoffs.
Ohio State wins Big Ten, goes to playoffs.

Fourth spot goes to one of Baylor, Oregon, Oklahoma, LSU. If Baylor or Oregon win out, easy they’re in. If Oklahoma wins out, don’t see how it loses out to an LSU team that didn’t play in conf title game. If Alabama loses to LSU, it will get the nod against any 1 loss team. But note also, if UGA wins SEC title game, LSU/Alabama loser is out. And remember, if Penn State somehow beats Ohio State, Ohio State factors in here also.

Percent guess (assumes Alabama beats LSU):
- Oregon: 32%
- Oklahoma / Baylor: 25%
- LSU: 33%
- OSU loses to PSU, still makes it in: 10

LSU odds: key games: bama, sec title game. If LSU loses at Bama (60%, imo), they are out if (a) bama loses SEC championship game (~25%, imo) or (b) another team goes undefeated (Maybe 33%?). And even without those things happening, they’ll have to hope Oklahoma doesn’t win out and Ohio State doesn’t blow the PSU game.

Last edited:
If UGA wins out - very possible - it faces the Alabama - LSU winner for the SEC title.

If UGA wins the SEC championship game, you will have two SEC teams in the playoff, but not the AL/LSU loser.

If UGA loses the SEC title game, it’ll get dissed with 2 losses, but would have as good a claim as a 1 loss team (either Alabama or LSU) that didn’t have to play for the conference title.

I continue to think no team should be eligible for the playoffs if they dont play for their conference title. Fail to win your division, no dice, sorry.

Meanwhile, similar dynamic in the Big 10. If PSU beats MN, then it is shaping up to have a similar argument for the playoffs as the loser of Alabama - LSU.

IMO, the reason OSU isn’t getting ranked #1 is because the SEC shills know that means PSU will have as good or better a claim to the playoffs as the loser of the Alabama - LSU game.

OSU should be ranked 1, moreover, and if PSU plays them close, it’s going to be a brutal selection process. Again, it would be better to just say no one who doesn’t make it out of their division is eligible.

Clemson will make it.

And we didn’t even get to what if Baylor and or Oregon win out.
I totally agree. A team that doesn't play for a conference championship shouldn't be considered for the CFP, but that's what exactly happened in 2017 when Auburn won the SEC West beating Alabama in the regular season. Auburn lost to UGA in the conference title game, then Alabama gets rewarded for not playing in the conference championship game. I think it's garbage. They gave them an extra week of rest and Alabama didn't have to risk losing a second game. If Auburn had 2 losses when they beat Alabama, the Alabama would have gone to the SEC championship game and no way would the SEC get 2 teams into the CFP.

Conference championships should mean something. I don't care if one conference is stacked vs others. The NFL doesn't reward teams that play in tougher divisions. College football should have an 8 team playoff with all 5 conference champions plus the 3 highest ranked teams not a P5 conference champion. That system places value on conference champions and allows independents, non P5 schools, and highly ranked schools an opportunity.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back