Players You Wish Were Canes

Advertisement
Advertisement
Derrick and I were business acquaintances and casual friends before his passing. I remember at an event him and I were working on for his Third and Long foundation, he found out I was a UM grad and sort of took to me I guess. He did tell me one day, and I may be a bit fuzzy on this, that he was ****ed at the canes for not getting on him early. Apparently he really wanted to be a cane and was angry that they didn't want him in the beginning. I believe it was that they went after other guys at the same position first. Then when they did come calling I believe he told me that they didn't want him at Linebacker. He resented it and moved on.

I still remember visiting him in the hospital a day or two before his death. He asked me to drop him off a pair of new nike running shoes because he was about to start working out, as the doctor had cleared him to start getting up and moving around. He was so happy and and excited it seemed to get out. Its a look I won't ever forget. Left the hospital for a work trip the next day and got a call from my pops saying he passed.

Really good dude with a kind heart. Waking up from that in the hospital and finding out that your best friend didn't make it must of tore him apart.

His foundation still lives on. If I remember correctly its being run by the mother of his child. Cant remember her name but, she was a solid person as well.

RIP

Sometimes I watch some old college and NFL highlights, and there are guys from the So. Fla area that got away. When I see them play, I be like, "****, he should've been a Cane." One person that I wish was a Cane is one of my all time favorites...Mr. Sanders. I don't know the background on his recruitment, but Deion should've been a Cane. Interested to know folks in the know, thoughts, who you wish were Canes or who may have been Canes at heart, but for whatever reason got away. I don't live in So. Fla, so I don't know the ends and outs of the recruiting game, but just shooting the breeze to know your thoughts.
Ocho Cinco....thats it

None. Anyone who didn't play here can go to **** except Warrick Dunn and maybe Derrick Brooks.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back