Players social media (regarding fans)........

Tweed

Sophomore
I’m not sure how many of you guys do this, but DM’ing players & voicing your opinions to them isn’t a good look at all (IMO). Not sure what the board’s opinion is on this, but I think it’s completely inappropriate for fans to “DM” players. (For example) kids are on Spring Break right now and we have fans DM’ing players that they should be back on campus “studying” instead of enjoying their break.

What are your guys thoughts on this?

Advertisement
I listened to the OTH podcast by former players and they were encouraging fans to tell players about being 7-6 last year and that they should be focused on ball over spring break.

I don’t think that’s the fans responsibility but social media as a whole has corrupted our generation And now fans feel entitled tell players whatever they want.

Advertisement
A fair amount of fans are jackasses and unfortunately that's something collegiate athletes realize rather quickly after arriving on campus.

Anyone sending messages to the players is a straight up joke who needs to get their own life. You're part of the reason most athletes cannot stand fans. The enemy used to be the media, but with the internet, fans are right there with them these days.

I listened to the OTH podcast by former players and they were encouraging fans to tell players about being 7-6 last year and that they should be focused on ball over spring break.

I don’t think that’s the fans responsibility but social media as a whole has corrupted our generation And now fans feel entitled tell players whatever they want.
That, is lame as ***. I got enough trouble giving MY kids unsolicited advice, just sayin’

Advertisement

I’m genuinely shocked they’d do this.

Leave the players alone. Nothing you say is going to help except support, and anything else will likely work in reverse.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’m not sure how many of you guys do this, but DM’ing players & voicing your opinions to them isn’t a good look at all (IMO). Not sure what the board’s opinion is on this, but I think it’s completely inappropriate for fans to “DM” players. (For example) kids are on Spring Break right now and we have fans DM’ing players that they should be back on campus “studying” instead of enjoying their break.

What are your guys thoughts on this?

I'll start with this. I fully agree with your premise. People should not be contacting players/recruits like that. It's not a bad look. It's a HORRIBLE look. But people seriously suck. That isn't gonna stop anytime soon.

No one can control social media. The whole thing is an unmitigated disaster.

A couple more thoughts.

They chose to be on Social Media, right? This doesn't apply to all, but IMO the whole promoting their "brand", "respect my decision", "top 15 teams list" attitude as recruits just sets them up. You wanna be a celebrity and "up your followers", but you can't deal with the negative.

They all want to go to the league right? Get used to fans heckling. Again, social media creates an obviously larger opportunity for fans to voice opinions. Feelings hurt? Get off social media or develop thicker skin.

Oh, and they are 18-22 years old. They aren't young. They just lack life experience. I've had more than a few friends that age who gave their lives for their country without a second thought. Truly amazing what young people are capable of.

Life's tough, be tougher.

Advertisement
Back