Players leaving early

Advertisement
There is literally hundreds of historical data points and examples that show a player can in fact improve their stock in their senior year.

Kinchens, for as productive as he's been, had issues he could've came back and worked on.

Taylor and Williams made horrible decisions to leave, as it pertains to where they will be drafted. They could've immensely improved their stock.
I think people confuse "CAN improve your stock" with "WILL improve your stock". You're just giving yourself a chance, but it's a risk.

All the things Taylor / Kinchens / Williams could work on as Seniors is the same they could've worked on as Juniors. There's no difference.

A Senior season would give them the "chance" to improve - but they could get injured, or they could regress, or most likely just stay the same.

Big Senior season improvements is "possible" but isn't "probable" - so there's lots of outcomes that need to be weighed when deciding to go pro.

This is another case of someone looking at sites and having these huge expectations for a player and then turning around to bash them for the expectations they had lmao

If u looked at LT hs film and knew anything, u saw major flaws that would probably keep him from being a sure fire first round pick but because u probably got your opinion from someone else u ****tin on the guy because he decided to leave early? Or he didn’t fulfill whatever u thought of him? Thats bull**** and a clown way to talk about guys that played here

AND..Lt was actually a really good player in his time here but yall can’t get passed the recruiting site rankings lol or whoever yall get yall opinions from on this board to see it
Right off the bat, Taylor was probably a bit undersized coming out of high school. He was like 6’3” 260. Which was fine for Manny’s “just get into the backfield” defense but it’s downright tiny compared to the 5 star DT we signed this year who is 6’4” 310. I think he really improved his stock this year by playing 1 and 0 technique and doing a really good job. His motor is still hot and cold and that will probably keep him out of the first round but his upside is first round quality and someone will take a chance in that fairly early.

Advertisement
Let's remove coaching and player results (or lack thereof) during the season, and I'll ask this question.

What is the metric of a good showing in the draft?

Of course, ideally, you would want both, but is it the number of guys drafted? Or is a smaller amount of guys drafted higher better?

Getting 5 players drafted (assuming they all get drafted and not UDFA) is not bad, in my opinion. That is regardless of where they get drafted. I think a key to a successful program is getting at least 5 guys drafted annually or 4+ with at least 3 going in the first 3 rounds.

There's 2 ways to look at this:

From a College perspective - you're probably a better college team if you have 5 5th Rounders than if you have just 1 1st Rounder.

From an NFL perspective - you can't trade 5 5th Round picks for a 1st RD pick. Can't even get a 2nd RD pick. You'd only get a mid-3rd RD pick.

In NFL terms - a Day 1 pick has much more value than a bunch of Day 3 picks.

This is another case of someone looking at sites and having these huge expectations for a player and then turning around to bash them for the expectations they had lmao

If u looked at LT hs film and knew anything, u saw major flaws that would probably keep him from being a sure fire first round pick but because u probably got your opinion from someone else u ****tin on the guy because he decided to leave early? Or he didn’t fulfill whatever u thought of him? Thats bull**** and a clown way to talk about guys that played here

AND..Lt was actually a really good player in his time here but yall can’t get passed the recruiting site rankings lol or whoever yall get yall opinions from on this board to see it
Must have been a down year for DTs that year? I don’t remember. But when you saw the absurd crop of DTs this last year (Stone, Scott, Breland etc etc) it was like watching a different type of player altogether

Looks likely to be a miserable showing in the draft.

I don't want to hear that **** about "getting to the 2nd contract." I'd like to see how many 4-7th round guys actually make it to the 2nd contract.

Kam Kinchens - 2-3rd round
Leonard Taylor - 3-5th
James Williams - 4-6th
Matt Lee - 5-7th
Javion Cohen - 5-7th
They all literally would've made more staying one more season. In the past, these types of gambles were worth it, but in this modern wild wild west, anything less than a 2nd Round floor is not worth bolting to the league for if you're a starter and likely getting broke off.

He has all the measurables to have been a 1st round pick but by most accounts didn't back it up with his work ethic. That perception is something that could have been changed by showing it on the field for another year and another year of maturity.

I'm not wishing him ill will but his decision was stupid from a business sense AND more importantly for what I care about, hurts UM.

I guess you're allowed to have an opinion but others aren't if it disagrees with you.

Advertisement
You know this board is hilarious. Half those players listed, many, if not most was complaining the whole time they’ve been here.. and now yall worried about they draft status and how they should have stayed. 😂

James Williams did himself no favors by refusing to play LB in college. I think he realizes that now and if not, likely will on day 3. He needed to come back and put some LB tape out there for the GMs. I hope for everyone’s sake that some team falls in love with his measurables.
@cway313 what's there to vomit at with my commentary? It's true. If some GM falls in love with is height, weight and speed, they may take him earlier. However, latest intel says he will slide to the 4th or 5th round and that all the league wants him at LB, not safety. Nearly everyone has said this for the last three years. He refused to be called anything but a safety and now he has zero college film of him playing LB. It is what it is and I'm failing to see how there's anything to disagree with in what I said other than the projection itself, which I simply parroted.

K?

At the end of the day, they're all 'Canes and I will support them in their future endeavors. Only time will tell whether or not they made the right decision. Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion just as long as you recognize that it is, in fact, only an opinion.

He has all the measurables to have been a 1st round pick but by most accounts didn't back it up with his work ethic. That perception is something that could have been changed by showing it on the field for another year and another year of maturity.

I'm not wishing him ill will but his decision was stupid from a business sense AND more importantly for what I care about, hurts UM.

I guess you're allowed to have an opinion but others aren't if it disagrees with you.
It becomes a numbers game.

11 Seniors were drafted in the 1st RD.
You have Taylor as a 3rd-5th RD projection.
There's probably about 40-50 early entrees with a 2nd-5th RD grade right now you could say "made bad decisions and should've come back to have a shot at going in the 1st"

But if they all made the "smart" decision - that's 50 guys fighting for about 10 spots. There's a chance, but the odds aren't good.

Advertisement
Looks likely to be a miserable showing in the draft.

I don't want to hear that **** about "getting to the 2nd contract." I'd like to see how many 4-7th round guys actually make it to the 2nd contract.

Kam Kinchens - 2-3rd round
Leonard Taylor - 3-5th
James Williams - 4-6th
Matt Lee - 5-7th
Javion Cohen - 5-7th
Kam should be a top 65 pick I’d imagine
Leonard believing hes been a top 15 pick for 3 years while going into 100s would be crazy
James Williams is a tweener and I’m sure he will struggle to stay on a roster
Matt got bad advice if he’s leaving and is going to be a 6th round pick
Cohen should go higher I could see him going in the 90-110 range

Yeah shake your head bro and then tell me all the great things that LT56 did here in three years.

Oh wait you'll probably hit me with the "he took on two blockers" bull****.

Guy was a 5* sure-fire 1st rd draft pick and slunk his way out of town as a 3rd round or worse player.

Do you even understand football bruh? What did you expect Taylor to be? Im not understanding your point or context.

You legit called taking on 2 blockers "BS". I can't even take you seriously typing dumb **** like that. You do realize one man taking away 2 blockers and not getting moved off the point of attack is great football play right?

Man got hurt playing out of position for this team. Legit was the only thing to key on for his entire tenure here until Bain came. What do you expect the young man to do when every OC can just double or triple him and it destroys the entire dynamic of our defense?

Do you even know the duties of a defensive tackle? Its obvious you don't because you wouldnt be typing dumb ****.

I seriously want to know what you expected? For him to play selfish and chase stats like Gerald Willis?

Advertisement
Do you even understand football bruh? What did you expect Taylor to be? Im not understanding your point or context.

You legit called taking on 2 blockers "BS". I can't even take you seriously typing dumb **** like that. You do realize one man taking away 2 blockers and not getting moved off the point of attack is great football play right?

Man got hurt playing out of position for this team. Legit was the only thing to key on for his entire tenure here until Bain came. What do you expect the young man to do when every OC can just double or triple him and it destroys the entire dynamic of our defense?

Do you even know the duties of a defensive tackle? Its obvious you don't because you wouldnt be typing dumb ****.

I seriously want to know what you expected? For him to play selfish and chase stats like Gerald Willis?
1st round measurables and will get drafted 3rd round or later.

He's leaving a lot of money on the table not coming back but you do you buddy.

It becomes a numbers game.

11 Seniors were drafted in the 1st RD.
You have Taylor as a 3rd-5th RD projection.
There's probably about 40-50 early entrees with a 2nd-5th RD grade right now you could say "made bad decisions and should've come back to have a shot at going in the 1st"

But if they all made the "smart" decision - that's 50 guys fighting for about 10 spots. There's a chance, but the odds aren't good.
The difference between 2nd round and 3rd round is a lot of money.

The average 2nd round pick earns $2M per year for four years including the signing bonus.

The average 3rd round pick earns $1.375M per year for four years including the signing bonus.

The average 4th round pick earns $1.13M per year for four years including the signing bonus.

Advertisement
Back