Player Development under Golden

CaneCounty

Senior
One of the encouraging signs of the UM football program’s resurgence has been better player development –- in other words, players improving significantly once they arrive. There wasn’t enough of that during Randy Shannon’s tenure. But this column is not about bashing Shannon.

In fact, though Shannon’s final UM class had a bunch of flameouts, he and his staff deserve credit for eyeballing a dozen two- and three-star players that Golden’s staff has deftly developed into key contributors (players that Shannon's staff obviously didn't have the time to develop because of his firing). Among those players, from Shannon’s 2010 class, the one before his final season:

### Stephen Morris: Don’t forget he was merely a three-star prospect from Miami Pace, with little interest from college football powers. Northwestern, Purdue, Virginia and Central Michigan were his next-best offers. His growth in the past year (14 touchdowns, one pick in last six games) has been dramatic, the second-half issues against UF aside. Now he’s in line to potentially become a mid-round NFL draft pick, or higher. (One scout said second round isn't out of the question.)

### Jimmy Gaines: A two-star player with very few offers (Buffalo, Syracuse), Gaines sent a highlight tape to UM, and Shannon offered him. Under this staff, Gaines has developed into a capable middle linebacker with a quick first step and an ability to decipher plays. His work against UF was among his best.

He’s “like a coach on the field,” defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio said, “and he puts himself in good position to make plays.”

### Clive Walford: Shannon’s staff wisely offered the three-star tight end who had only three other reported offers: FIU, Indiana and Purdue. And this staff has helped mold him into a dangerous weapon, with 15 of his past 16 receptions for touchdowns or first downs.

Why has he become a better player since last November? “I’m paying more attention to details,” he said Tuesday.

### Jon Feliciano: With offers from only Akron and Indiana at the time, Feliciano waited outside the UM bus after the 2009 spring game to give his tape to then-assistant Tommie Robinson. Shannon offered him, and he has become a better offensive lineman that many expected.

“He’s got a little bit of the devil in him,” offensive line coach Art Kehoe said Tuesday. “If you are lollygagging around him, he will take you out.”

### Others: Shayon Green, Curtis Porter, Allen Hurns, Malcolm Bunche, Kacy Rodgers and Tyrone Cornelius were all three-star prospects signed under Shannon in 2009 or 2010, and all have become useful pieces here. Though Green isn’t much of a pass rusher, he’s very difficult to dislodge and was a major factor in the UF game.

And Kelvin Cain -- a two-star player with offers from only Portland State, San Jose State and Nevada -- has had an up-and-down career here but gave the Canes good work playing on the second team in the UF game.
Among recruits in Golden’s three signing classes, the poster child for player development – aside from three-star Olsen Pierre -- has to be two-star Thurston Armbrister. The coach at Hollywood Hills convinced D’Onofrio to look at Armbrister, whose only offer was from Northern Colorado.
Armbrister and Cornelius were tweeners –- initially too small for linebacker, too big for safety. This staff has sculpted both into assets, with Armbrister emerging as a surprise starter, and Cornelius thriving in pass coverage.
“Armbrister is smart, versatile,” D’Onofrio said. “In the past, Cornelius did a good job… on third down, but when he got in on first down, it was spotty. You weren’t sure he was going to be in the right spot or do the right things. Now, when you take Denzel Perryman out… there is not much of a drop-off.”

So why are players improving under this staff? For linemen and linebackers, adding weight had a lot to do with it; Anthony Chickillo has jumped from 235 as a freshman to 275 as a junior; Armbrister from 195 pounds to 230, among many others. Now 240, Gaines and Perryman “are knocking guys back” when tackling them, D’Onofrio said. That wasn't consistently the case last year.

Attention to detail has made a big difference; this staff requires players to do things over, especially with technique, until they get it right. Feliciano said players are drilled to be “perfect on footwork.”
But Feliciano points to this as the biggest reason players are developing better under this staff than the last one: “We’re learning the game better.” He said this staff has more meetings with players about “how to get better,” with emphasis on specific skills.
Bottom line: No longer can UM fans make the case, as many did four years ago, that most players don’t become appreciably better after they sign here. And that’s critical for a program that is still taking more two- and three-star players than UF and Alabama do.

D’Onofrio, filling in for an ill Al Golden at Tuesday’s news conference, said coaches take pride in the player development. But more so, “I’m excited for the players. They put a lot of work into this thing.”

### Dyron Dye has joined Thomas Finnie and Jontavious Carter at Bethune-Cookman. All three were dismissed from the UM team.

CHATTER

### While the Dolphins have extended the contracts of potential 2014 free agents Reshad Jones, Koa Misi and John Denney –- and made a proposal to Paul Soliai –- 2014 free agents Brent Grimes, Richie Incognito and Chris Clemons say they haven’t received offers.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...lphins-nuggets-more-loria-.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
So that was a Miami Herald story? Surprisingly decent write up. Can't say enough how good of a job this staff has done developing some of these guys. And it's showing through recruiting. Use little fish to catch big fish.

Remember the disdain everyone had when Olsen Pierre was brought to this class as soon as golden got here? Only a two star recruit!

He's been playing since a true freshman and improved every year!

Things are heading in the right direction, for sure!!!

Advertisement
I was still worried about player development because our tackling remaind horrible. The swamp scum game ended my worries. We hit people and they went down without dragging our players another 7 yards. Still would like Fig to give daily clinics to everyone else as to exactly how it is done, but much, much better this year.

Run blocking is harder than pass protection, but sure would like to see more development there. Art, I love you, man, but let's step it up a thousand. Never thought your unit would be the weak link. Train is rolling, get them legs inside.

The RS holdovers are here because Goldens has allowed them to be. There's a long list of guys who couldn't hack it, but these guys have endured and have become good players. It's been fun to watch them develop.

The RS holdovers are here because Goldens has allowed them to be. There's a long list of guys who couldn't hack it, but these guys have endured and have become good players. It's been fun to watch them develop.

Imagine if these guys stayed for another year and commit to the program (attitude, nutrition, training etc)....

Streeter, Forston, Washington and Vernon

Imagine if these guys stayed for another year and commit to the program (attitude, nutrition, training etc)....

Lamar Miller as well.

Advertisement

I don't blame BWashington for leaving, didn't he need the $$$ badly?

Remember the disdain everyone had when Olsen Pierre was brought to this class as soon as golden got here? Only a two star recruit!

He's been playing since a true freshman and improved every year!

Things are heading in the right direction, for sure!!!

Yep. The criticism made no sense at the time. Pierre was the only Temple recruit Golden brought with him. He obviously saw something in him. I guess after having to deal with Coker and Shannon evaluations for a decade, it made it hard to actually trust a coach over a star ranking.

I love the fact that our young, most sought after players like Howard, AQM and McCord are steadily improving!

Man, if Golden would've had those MNW boys and that number one recruiting class Shannon had, my goodness! Instead on self-imposing a mid-major bowl, it would've been an uproar because we would've been competing for a BCS slot instead and self-imposing would've seemed idiotic. Also, the guys would've been under the 'U-tough' program longer, thus they would've been used to it. Therefore, IMHO, the guys that left early would've been drafted higher than they were...

I know. I know. A lot of 'would've, could've, should'ves', but the reality is that if Golden can get production from "less-heralded" players, imagine what he could have done with that particular class...Just saying.

I am absolutely stunned by Armbrister. i never thought he would do ****.

just wait till we have a roster loaded with mature players (i.e. in the program for 2-3 years or more) from AG's classes from 2012 and forward. he really only has 2 recruiting classes in place right now

we will be very good next year and beyond. we look pretty good right now even.

Advertisement

I don't blame BWashington for leaving, didn't he need the $$$ badly?

A has nothing to do with B. My point was another year would have helped all of those guys develop and become better players.

As for this money issue, I have no idea. I am not in his family, I never spoke to BW and don't know his financial situation. I don't even really know about the so called "furniture incident."

I do know that somehow and someway, BW and his family made it to 2012 without the money he is making in the NFL.

I am absolutely stunned by Armbrister. i never thought he would do ****.

Agreed... It is amazing what great coaching can do to a player. This kid is living his dream and is just doing what is asked of him. Look what his HS coach said about him after Miami gave him a scholarship...

“It’s a dream come true for him. He’s very happy and excited about the opportunity to go down there and be a part of the ‘U’,” Barnwell said.

“He’s a very big, long, rangy kid, very fast,” Barnwell said. “He’s probably 6-3, about 195, legit 4.5 kid, has very great range across the field, really closes well on the ball, hits very hard and has great hands.”

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...11/06/safety-armbrister-joins-2011-class.html

Advertisement
As for this money issue, I have no idea. I am not in his family, I never spoke to BW and don't know his financial situation. I don't even really know about the so called "furniture incident."

I do know that somehow and someway, BW and his family made it to 2012 without the money he is making in the NFL.

There's a big difference between just making ends meet and living comfortably.

Ray Ray Armstrong at OLB last year would've been nice

Al came in and had the following at safety: Ray Ray, Jojo, Telemaque, Highsmith and Rodgers. It took Rodgers and Highsmith some time to make these guys serviceable. Even though Ray Ray only played 8 games in 2011 (none in 2012), he kind of needed to be out there [at safety] since there was nothing really available.

Ray Ray was not only was his worst enemy (the stupid tweeting and agent BS) but he was not helped by the fact that we needed help at safety. Those two things prevented a move for him to his proper position sooner.

It sucks but what can you do.

Last year's defense could've been pretty **** good

DE Vernon - Shayon - McCord - R. Williams
DT Forston - Pierre - King - Smith
DT Porter - Luther - Moore - Ivery
DE Chick - Cain - Grimble -

SLB Armstrong - EJ - Armbrister
MLB Gaines - Kirby
WLB Denzel - Paul - Cornelius - Terry

CB Gunter - Finnie - Crawford
SS Bush - Highsmith
FS Rodgers - Jenkins - Telemaque
CB McGee - Howard

There's a big difference between just making ends meet and living comfortably.

A few things:

1. How do you know their financial situation?

2. What happens if he received proper advice instead of leaving to be a 6th round pick?

3. What happens if BW stayed for another year and could have got a better contract?

On August 31, 2012, the team released Washington as part of its final cuts. On December 31, 2012, Washington signed a two-year, $1,060,059 contract with the St. Louis Rams. This was only after being cut by the Eagles.

Perhaps BW comes back and gets in better shape and plays at Miami for 2012. Works out, proper nutrition, better film and impresses scouts to get drafted in the 3rd Round.

Here is an excerpt from the third round pay schedule for 2013

"The third round picks are the first draft choices that do not receive the full 25% annual increases in their deals. Travis Kelce, the first pick in the third round, will get a $703,304 signing bonus in his deal with the Kansas City Chiefs. His contract will be worth approximately $3.16 million. The exact value will depend upon how close he gets to his maximum annual increase. Zavier Gooden, the last pick in the round, should receive a four-year, $2,666,016 deal with a $506,016 signing bonus from the Tennessee Titans." (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Previewing-the-2013-rookie-deals.html)

Let's assume that BW was the last pick in the third round, that means he could have made

1. $506,016.00 Signing Bonus

2. First two years (of the four year deal): $666,504.00 ($2,666,016/4 Years) - $530,029.50 (1,060,059/2 Years) = $136,474.50 (more the first two years)

3. Total: $778,965.00 (if BW gets drafted in the last pick of the third round)

So if it is about money, it was a stupid decision probably led by terrible advice.

Advertisement
Back