Player development article, U checks in @ #6…

Advertisement
"Miami ranks sixth in the rankings largely due to the volume of draft picks it produced with 15 of the 23 qualifying players going on to be drafted. The reason why Miami dropped out of the top 5, however, is 11 of those 15 were Day 3 selections."

sounds about right

not sure how accurate the development argument is when you are getting most of your impact guys from the portal.

Advertisement
not sure how accurate the development argument is when you are getting most of your impact guys from the portal.
I’d say it speaks a lot about development when you’re taking guys who underachieved at their old school and turning them into impact players. The only guy they’ve gotten as a transfer who I’d say was a finished product before he got to Miami was Quincy Roche.

Also, I’m not really a fan of using draft success as a gauge for player development. NFL teams are often looking for attributes other than how well a player actually performs in college. Josh Allen was a terrible college quarterback and I’m not giving the coaches at Wyoming credit because he got drafted in the first round.

Last edited:
We still develop jags......our problem is evals. We don't have that bad of an issue developing it's just who we are targeting and getting to sign. And when we have great initial evals another team like OSU Bama etc take that target....(so it says we still likely know who's good down in sfla). Oh and the first thing I said that we develop jags don't take it the wrong way...I meant ordinary guys we still can get them to the league at their max potential. Development was a huge issue with Golden at times but all coaches have suffered in the closing and identifying department. Think Manny is better at it at least on paper.

Last edited:
We still develop jags......our problem is evals. We don't have that bad of an issue developing it's just who we are targeting and getting to sign. And when we have great initial evals another team like OSU Bama etc take that target....(so it says we still likely know who's good down in sfla). Oh and the first thing I said that we develop jags don't take it the wrong way...I meant ordinary guys we still can get them to the league at their max potential. Development was a huge issue with Golden at times but all coaches have suffered in the closing and identifying department. Think Manny is better at it at least on paper.

We've had some great evals (Flowers was a 3-star, Rousseau a 2-star). But you are right that we've had some bad ones, too. LB is especially suspect from an eval perspective.

I think the bigger problem is that our recruiting board is too thin, and when guys pass on us, we don't have a 1a ready to go, but have to look for projects and "specials". I'll say this, Manny seems to have learnt his lessons, and recognized the reasons for past recruiting failures. I'm very impressed by the 2021 class, and 2022 seems to be shaping up to be just as quality, top to bottom.

Advertisement
we have a good staff now imo

We've had some great evals (Flowers was a 3-star, Rousseau a 2-star). But you are right that we've had some bad ones, too. LB is especially suspect from an eval perspective.

I think the bigger problem is that our recruiting board is too thin, and when guys pass on us, we don't have a 1a ready to go, but have to look for projects and "specials". I'll say this, Manny seems to have learnt his lessons, and recognized the reasons for past recruiting failures. I'm very impressed by the 2021 class, and 2022 seems to be shaping up to be just as quality, top to bottom.
Good post. As a head coach, Diaz was as green as they come at the start. The thing is, as abysmal as some of his mistakes have been, the guy has shown the insight and awareness necessary to understand those mistakes and the willingness and aptitude necessary to correct them. This doesn't make Diaz the next Saban or Dabo. To me it makes him a very intriguing developmental prospect as a P5 Head Coach.

I was also quite impressed with the 2021 class and agree that based on what we see so far the 2022 class should be just as good and quite possibly better. The upgrades to the coaching staff on both sides of the ball in addition to the revamping of the recruiting department have much to do with this. Having 2 QB prospects on the roster the likes of TVD and Garcia doesn't hurt either.

In order to smash through the barrier that currently separates us from the P5 elites and perrienial playoff contenders we need a few things. We need to break the glass ceiling of double digit regular season wins and a New Year 6 Bowl victory. This will give us the proof of concept necessary to for us to put together top 5 recruiting classes. Lastly we need a signature victory against a current P5 power to formally announce our arrival/return. Something in the vein of the UM/Nebraska Orange Bowl for the 83 national title or the UM/FSU Dorsey to Shockey win in 2000.

Advertisement
Good post. As a head coach, Diaz was as green as they come at the start. The thing is, as abysmal as some of his mistakes have been, the guy has shown the insight and awareness necessary to understand those mistakes and the willingness and aptitude necessary to correct them. This doesn't make Diaz the next Saban or Dabo. To me it makes him a very intriguing developmental prospect as a P5 Head Coach.

I was also quite impressed with the 2021 class and agree that based on what we see so far the 2022 class should be just as good and quite possibly better. The upgrades to the coaching staff on both sides of the ball in addition to the revamping of the recruiting department have much to do with this. Having 2 QB prospects on the roster the likes of TVD and Garcia doesn't hurt either.

In order to smash through the barrier that currently separates us from the P5 elites and perrienial playoff contenders we need a few things. We need to break the glass ceiling of double digit regular season wins and a New Year 6 Bowl victory. This will give us the proof of concept necessary to for us to put together top 5 recruiting classes. Lastly we need a signature victory against a current P5 power to formally announce our arrival/return. Something in the vein of the UM/Nebraska Orange Bowl for the 83 national title or the UM/FSU Dorsey to Shockey win in 2000.

:100:

I still don't think Patke deserves a field role. But I like all the rest at this point. It's not Saban's staff, and Manny isn't Saban. But they're learning and getting better.

We're a mature enough operation now that we can exploit success on Saturdays to close Top 5-10 classes every year. Need to win 10+.

SurprisIngly Clemson isn’t top 10…
tenor.gif

Advertisement

Flowers wasn’t a great eval. He was a ‘grandmomma’ kid. That means your grandma could see how good he is. Everyone with one eye could see he was one of the best OL prospects to come out of so fla in a decade. He blocked for Duke and was well recognized. No idea what site called him a 3* (he was a 4* on rivals), but he was no secret to people who mattered.

Flowers wasn’t a great eval. He was a ‘grandmomma’ kid. That means your grandma could see how good he is. Everyone with one eye could see he was one of the best OL prospects to come out of so fla in a decade. He blocked for Duke and was well recognized. No idea what site called him a 3* (he was a 4* on rivals), but he was no secret to people who mattered.

We offered when he was a 3 star prior to his senior year. He was a consensus 4 star later in the cycle. My point was we got in early and identified a talent before the rest. ... There are plenty of examples, if you disagree on Flowers. IMO, our issue is less proper evals (though we have had that problem to some degree), and more about proper recruiting and getting kids to commit so we don't have holes at positions and mad scrambles to fill them. ... And to be clear, I think Manny has finally cleaned that up with this new staff.

U’re my guy, but bro...Ereck Flowers was a consensus 4 star & Top247 player coming out of Norland, and Greg was a rising 3star, but he rose too late to bump him into a 4 star. Lol.

Our OL eval under Golden was actually the best we had, S too. Poor coaching.

Our LB evals have suspect for a while. The

OL has been hit or miss which is y we get inconsistent line play

Our RBs have been pretty meh. Good moments, but have not had a consistent gamer since Duke.

Our WRs have been hit or miss, as well. We haven’t fielded 2 guys on the field at the same time to get theirs.

TE recruiting has been solid

CB recruiting, on paper, has been actually solid, but these guys have fizzled w/ the exception of Burns, & Elder.

Last edited:
We offered when he was a 3 star prior to his senior year. He was a consensus 4 star later in the cycle. My point was we got in early and identified a talent before the rest. ... There are plenty of examples, if you disagree on Flowers. IMO, our issue is less proper evals (though we have had that problem to some degree), and more about proper recruiting and getting kids to commit so we don't have holes at positions and mad scrambles to fill them. ... And to be clear, I think Manny has finally cleaned that up with this new staff.
We’re supposed to identify local kids before the rest. That’s the point of local. you’re too focused on the rankings. Flowers was an obvious eval.

Our holes at positions was caused by a few failures, but blown evals was one of them. Wasted spots, guys who don’t contribute. poor recruiting factors in too. Agreed.

Advertisement
Back