Player development article, U checks in @ #6…

Flowers wasn’t a great eval. He was a ‘grandmomma’ kid. That means your grandma could see how good he is. Everyone with one eye could see he was one of the best OL prospects to come out of so fla in a decade. He blocked for Duke and was well recognized. No idea what site called him a 3* (he was a 4* on rivals), but he was no secret to people who mattered.
Yea Flowers was no secret. He was a big get at the time he just wasn't an all caliber tackle. Maybe in the ACC he was but he was put with a good group....our last good OL possibly. He is a better guard vs premium high level opposition.

Advertisement
Flowers wasn’t a great eval. He was a ‘grandmomma’ kid. That means your grandma could see how good he is. Everyone with one eye could see he was one of the best OL prospects to come out of so fla in a decade. He blocked for Duke and was well recognized. No idea what site called him a 3* (he was a 4* on rivals), but he was no secret to people who mattered.

Bro, no site had him as a 3 star. He was a consensus 4 star & Top247 player when he came out. lol. Maybe he was a 3 star as a Sophomore or something, but certainly not as a Senior. And Greg was close to getting his 4th star, but he was a secret b/c he didn’t attend national camps. Once his film got around town, he was shooting up the rankings finishing w/ a .88 score.

"Miami ranks sixth in the rankings largely due to the volume of draft picks it produced with 15 of the 23 qualifying players going on to be drafted. The reason why Miami dropped out of the top 5, however, is 11 of those 15 were Day 3 selections."

sounds about right
This. We've been bargain bin U for nfl teams for wayyy too long

Bro, no site had him as a 3 star. He was a consensus 4 star & Top247 player when he came out. lol. Maybe he was a 3 star as a Sophomore or something, but certainly not as a Senior. And Greg was close to getting his 4th star, but he was a secret b/c he didn’t attend national camps. Once his film got around town, he was shooting up the rankings finishing w/ a .88 score.
In fairness, the only big time program that offered Rousseau before Miami was USC. He had already been offered and had multiple visits to Miami before the rest of the college football world paid attention. That’s what Miami should be doing every year but it’s not as easy since everyone is always paying attention to local kids here. There’s not a ton of hidden gems in south Florida anymore.

In fairness, the only big time program that offered Rousseau before Miami was USC. He had already been offered and had multiple visits to Miami before the rest of the college football world paid attention. That’s what Miami should be doing every year but it’s not as easy since everyone is always paying attention to local kids here. There’s not a ton of hidden gems in south Florida anymore.

Agreed!

Advertisement
Yeah the guy I was responding to claimed he was a 3*. I’m pretty sure there’s some thread with @LuCane and me discussing how much we liked him as a prospect back when he was in HS. Kid was as good an OL prospect as I’ve seen in So Fla in over a decade, imo.

Last edited:
l
Rousseau was a good eval, imo. We took his commitment early, before he got widely noticed, and he was a projection kid physically and by position. He’s an example of what we’re supposed to be finding every cycle.

l

Rousseau was a good eval, imo. We took his commitment early, before he got widely noticed, and he was a projection kid physically and by position. He’s an example of what we’re supposed to be finding every cycle.

Oh I agree; Rousseau, Rayshawn Jenkins, Njoku r probably the three best evals we’ve had in a long while. Zion, could be the very best (still not 100% sold).

Advertisement

Incorrect info

Oh I agree; Rousseau, Rayshawn Jenkins, Njoku r probably the three best evals we’ve had in a long while. Zion, could be the very best (still not 100% sold).
Jaquan Johnson and Sheldrick Redwine???

Jaquan Johnson and Sheldrick Redwine???

Well JJ was already a blue chip player. Redwine being moved to S was a game changer. We all liked Redwine coming out. The reason y I didn’t put Redwine on that list, b/c iirc, he was more of a forced, no choice take due to how the bottom fell out on our CB recruiting that class v. actually evaluating & offering prior to.

Advertisement
Relly, I'm not saying my memory is 100%, but I distinctly remember us offering Flowers before he blew up. I'm not going to do any more research though. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.
He was a 4* on rivals and 247. .94 on 247 is a high score also.

more importantly, he was a dominating guy who everyone knew before his senior year. Blocked for duke. Duke was in the state title game as a junior.

here’s @LuCane in Jan ‘12: “He has a chance to be the highest draft pick out of the entire last two classes.”

here”s @gogeta4, jan. ‘12: “i played lt..........this kid is BIG TIME............good feet for a big guy...kid can actually get to second level...kid reach blocks on the dt's...and he pancakes guys...aww man....A Dream.......are 2 best prospects are both from Norland...this kid has nfl written all over...with work in the weightroom and conditioning..looks to be a rt in the future.”

Here’s @Larry: “I think he's our second best player in the class. Reminds me of Michael Oher in HS. Just with how nasty he is at the point of attack and how he engages a defender with bad intentions.”

Here’s @jandman514: “He's a high 4 star on rivals and scout and i think 247 sports just not ESPN but i'm sure they will bump him up soon.”

@jevoasis: “Sick. Big bonus is that he dominated against top level competition.”

He was a 4* on rivals and 247. .94 on 247 is a high score also.

more importantly, he was a dominating guy who everyone knew before his senior year. Blocked for duke. Duke was in the state title game as a junior.

here’s @LuCane in Jan ‘12: “He has a chance to be the highest draft pick out of the entire last two classes.”

here”s @gogeta4, jan. ‘12: “i played lt..........this kid is BIG TIME............good feet for a big guy...kid can actually get to second level...kid reach blocks on the dt's...and he pancakes guys...aww man....A Dream.......are 2 best prospects are both from Norland...this kid has nfl written all over...with work in the weightroom and conditioning..looks to be a rt in the future.”

Here’s @Larry: “I think he's our second best player in the class. Reminds me of Michael Oher in HS. Just with how nasty he is at the point of attack and how he engages a defender with bad intentions.”

Here’s @jandman514: “He's a high 4 star on rivals and scout and i think 247 sports just not ESPN but i'm sure they will bump him up soon.”

@jevoasis: “Sick. Big bonus is that he dominated against top level competition.”

Those are all January 2012 comments. You made me go back with your **** stubbornness and now I spent the past two hours reviewing the history. Regretfully, very little on this board in the early days of his commitment. And nothing on Google. But I happened to belong to Shadow's board back then, so did a search there and found the relevant timeline:

Very few scouts knew about Flowers until he began to get noticed at a Nike camp 2 months on 3/27/2011. By then he had already been at Miami's Junior Day and Kehoe had begun to recruit him. Here's a blurb on that camp:

"The offensive line was not the biggest group ... but two-way lineman, who has an offer from Buffalo, also did well in 1-on-1s. He delivers a good punch and has the feet to mirror rushers, but does need to sit back a little more as he can bend at the waist, get a little top heavy and leave himself exposed. Ereck Flowers (Miami, Fla./Norland) is a tackle prospect with good size and moved his feet well but does need to improve his flexibility and play with more bend."

Flowers committed on 5/26/2011. Here's a comment about his offers at the time:
"OT Ereck Flowers (6’6, 305) of Miami Norland High School was most recently offered by Miami. His other offers include, “Buffalo, Cincinnati, UCF, USF, FAU, FIU, Florida St., Louisville, Memphis, Purdue, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Western Michigan, and Illinois. I expect Ole Miss and West Virginia to offer next week.”

What caused Kehoe to jump on Flowers and lock in his commitment was that he went to an Under Armour combine earlier that Spring where the scouts go a look at him and loved what they saw. A scouting analyst who I admire, Charles Fishbein, said this about him just after he committed:

"I first saw him at the Under Armour Combine and came away impressed. This spring he has been really good. Probably one of the top lineman that I have watched this spring. ... I can tell you this....Tons of coaches came down this spring and every single one of them liked him. He got offers from Alabama, Mississippi, Florida State, Miami, Rutgers, UCONN, West Virginia, Wake, Georgia Tech....I can go on and on.... Miami got a prospect that will rank in the top 30 in Florida by the start of the season. He is a legit 4* prospect. Good feet, bends well, is athletic, can get to the 2nd level....There is not much not to like. Only thing he will need to do is get stronger....More of a RT than a LT."

I should note that there was a little chatter about him prior to his May 2011 commitment where some people felt he wasn't Miami material. But the general consensus was he was taking big steps in his development and although a project, would be a good take for Miami.

Respectfully, no he was not a 4 star when we started recruiting him, he was a 3 star. The national attention started after we got on him.

Those are all January 2012 comments. You made me go back with your **** stubbornness and now I spent the past two hours reviewing the history. Regretfully, very little on this board in the early days of his commitment. And nothing on Google. But I happened to belong to Shadow's board back then, so did a search there and found the relevant timeline:

Very few scouts knew about Flowers until he began to get noticed at a Nike camp 2 months on 3/27/2011. By then he had already been at Miami's Junior Day and Kehoe had begun to recruit him. Here's a blurb on that camp:

"The offensive line was not the biggest group ... but two-way lineman, who has an offer from Buffalo, also did well in 1-on-1s. He delivers a good punch and has the feet to mirror rushers, but does need to sit back a little more as he can bend at the waist, get a little top heavy and leave himself exposed. Ereck Flowers (Miami, Fla./Norland) is a tackle prospect with good size and moved his feet well but does need to improve his flexibility and play with more bend."

Flowers committed on 5/26/2011. Here's a comment about his offers at the time:
"OT Ereck Flowers (6’6, 305) of Miami Norland High School was most recently offered by Miami. His other offers include, “Buffalo, Cincinnati, UCF, USF, FAU, FIU, Florida St., Louisville, Memphis, Purdue, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Western Michigan, and Illinois. I expect Ole Miss and West Virginia to offer next week.”

What caused Kehoe to jump on Flowers and lock in his commitment was that he went to an Under Armour combine earlier that Spring where the scouts go a look at him and loved what they saw. A scouting analyst who I admire, Charles Fishbein, said this about him just after he committed:

"I first saw him at the Under Armour Combine and came away impressed. This spring he has been really good. Probably one of the top lineman that I have watched this spring. ... I can tell you this....Tons of coaches came down this spring and every single one of them liked him. He got offers from Alabama, Mississippi, Florida State, Miami, Rutgers, UCONN, West Virginia, Wake, Georgia Tech....I can go on and on.... Miami got a prospect that will rank in the top 30 in Florida by the start of the season. He is a legit 4* prospect. Good feet, bends well, is athletic, can get to the 2nd level....There is not much not to like. Only thing he will need to do is get stronger....More of a RT than a LT."

I should note that there was a little chatter about him prior to his May 2011 commitment where some people felt he wasn't Miami material. But the general consensus was he was taking big steps in his development and although a project, would be a good take for Miami.

Respectfully, no he was not a 4 star when we started recruiting him, he was a 3 star. The national attention started after we got on him.
You keep moving the goalposts. Ots like that scene in Fletch - yes, but at the end, it was very sudden. Just in reverse. He wasn’t a 3* when we began recruiting him? Few local OL will be 4*s when we start recruiting them (unless we start late), because OLs take time to develop and get noticed, and we start recruiting them before then. The quotes I provided make clear how highly he was regarded by well respected posters on this site and how he was rated by major recruiting services. I also recall more discussions but the search function doesn’t make them easy to find.

Your own response points out he was ‘discovered’ in March ‘11 at a camp, almost a year before he signed. He blew up that summer, IIRC, before his senior year.

And I was on Shadow’s board for ages. He was no secret there iirc. Not sure how you searched history there because thought it was down now but happy to hear it’s accessible.

Bottom line is Flowers was as obvious an OL prospect as you’ll ever see in So Fla.

Advertisement
Relly, I'm not saying my memory is 100%, but I distinctly remember us offering Flowers before he blew up. I'm not going to do any more research though. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

OK; now that u may be right on bro. He did make a huge jump in 2012, after he committed to us. So I get where U’re coming from. I just remember him being highly sought after.

I think Flowers was actually a 2 star, let's argue about it for a few pages because it's really important

Last edited:
New article for 2022 has Miami at #10 and surprisingly....VT at #1. Limited sample size though.

1654872435834.png

"Finally, Florida and Miami are long-time staples of the top 10 in these rankings. That’s because they recruit elite players and some of them will eventually make it to the NFL. It also shows those two programs aren’t that far away; remember Florida nearly reached the playoff in 2020 while Miami ranked second in the CFB Playoff rankings entering the final week of the 2017 regular season. We’ll see if first-year coaches Billy Napier and Mario Cristobal can lift already talented rosters into contention."

Who are the underachievers? Little brother up north is right there.

1654872508487.png

Oh and Texas A&M is 27th......

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back