Votes: 11 2.4%
  • Coral Gables Senior High School

Votes: 32 6.9%
  • Tropical Park

Votes: 300 64.5%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 71 15.3%

• Total voters
what's the difference between going to west doral and north miami? you don't resolve the apparent problem (a stadium far from campus).

Couple of crazy ideas (and I'll defer to you since you still live down that way)...

Are there any OTHER schools (besides CGHS) that are in older buildings and that would benefit from a relocation to a new site? I'm not trying to pick on schools, I'm just not completely against it, my middle school (in Orlando) was torn down after a new one (about 2 miles away) was built. They even used the same name of the school (Teague).

And what about...cemeteries? They aren't exactly the type of "development" that localities covet, and there are a lot of trends away from burial. Obviously, it's a hot and touchy subject, but it is worth a larger (and later) public discussion.

Advertisement
what's the difference between going to west doral and north miami? you don't resolve the apparent problem (a stadium far from campus).
But if there is nowhere to build it as close to campus as possible, then build the best stadium possible at the best place possible? We don’t have the student population to say 30k are almost guaranteed every game so i never understood the desire to build close to campus. And isn’t the other reason to take full advantage of stadium revenue?

That’s why I’ve mentioned the huge mall they’re building. It wouldn’t **** off the out of towners and the traffic would be better right off of 75 and the entertainment value of having it there would be huge. Making a stadium next to a huge shopping and entertainment center would make that place the premier destination in south Florida for concerts and events.

So if it’s the same travel time to campus and equal if not better to watch a game than hard rock and it’s our stadium wouldn’t it be better?

What is the west grove? Like, the poor part lol?
Once the home of Carver High School. Knocked down around '66 to build a trash incinerator.
Andddd, Gables High got some Fast black guys for.FB.
Anybody remember Gerald Tinker?..

But if there is nowhere to build it as close to campus as possible, then build the best stadium possible at the best place possible? We don’t have the student population to say 30k are almost guaranteed every game so i never understood the desire to build close to campus. And isn’t the other reason to take full advantage of stadium revenue?

That’s why I’ve mentioned the huge mall they’re building. It wouldn’t **** off the out of towners and the traffic would be better right off of 75 and the entertainment value of having it there would be huge. Making a stadium next to a huge shopping and entertainment center would make that place the premier destination in south Florida for concerts and events.

So if it’s the same travel time to campus and equal if not better to watch a game than hard rock and it’s our stadium wouldn’t it be better?
if the distance to campus problem cannot be overcome, which IMO it cannot, then why build a new stadium in NW Miami Dade County if we have an NFL stadium right now? there is a lot of trade dress that can be installed at the stadium to make it friendlier to UM. i've taken this up with our new AD already .

Yeah. Kumquat is a block north, then you have Loquat. Then Avocado. I had never even heard of a loquat when I moved there.

Our house was rebuilt right after Andrew hit, so it was in pretty good shape, new zoning laws, etc. I remember the first time we had to break out the brand new hurricane shutters, we had no idea WTF we were doing. They were those huge corrugated metal types that were supposed to slide into brackets above and below all the glass doors and windows (first and second floor). We almost died from dehydration, trying to get all those things put up before the storm, then it turned north and largely missed Miami.
That's the Ye Little Woods, it's the oldest area in the
Grove, my grandparents lived there in the 30's.
Then moved to The Gables..

Advertisement
And what about...cemeteries? They aren't exactly the type of "development" that localities covet, and there are a lot of trends away from burial. Obviously, it's a hot and touchy subject, but it is worth a larger (and later) public discussion.
Have we learned nothing from the movie Poltergeist?

Have we learned nothing from the movie Poltergeist?

0-15

horror 1980s GIF

I've said it once and I'll say it again, please don't just build a stadium. Build an entertainment center akin to City Walk at Universal with shops and restaurants. Make it a place you can spend all day. In lieu of being on campus that's the next best thing. Utilize the water features to set a stage overlooking a lake and the stadium, put a bunch of palm trees, and let Gameday show that scene on the broadcast. See how many people rag Miami over their stadium when that happens. Make it a **** event site and something the city can use year round.

Do something different than the boring old stadium surrounded by parking. Build parking garages with green space on top for tailgating. Make it exciting. Make it Miami.

View attachment 177100

View attachment 177101
Is this universal studios? Lmao

Advertisement
Having our own stadium is not necessarily necessary, but having one is an absolute net+ positive for the program.

Imagine how Boss it would be for the Canes to have their own stadium again.

Advertisement
Has a stadium bordered by Ponce de Leon Dr, San Amaro Dr, and Red Rd ever been proposed?

No. Not really.

Not enough (available) land.

The first block (along Ponce) is not owned by UM.

The next 6 blocks up from Ponce had fraternity houses along San Amaro. There have also been many buildings interspersed, and more recently, several newer buildings have been built, including housing and parking.

During the "Tad Foote Master Plan" years (1980-2000) , he wanted to put every new building idea on that land, he would NEVER have considered it for a football stadium. And with Coral Gables, the main sticking point has always been a zoning rule requiring X amount of parking spots within Y distance of the facility. It's the reason why they never allowed the BUC/Watsco to be built to its full seating capacity, even though any moron knows there is PLENTY of parking all around the UM campus. There was just never enough within a couple hundred yards of the arena.

So while the SW corner of the UM campus might seem to be big enough for ONLY a stadium, I'm not sure we would ever be able to put enough STADIUM parking close enough to the facility to make Coral Gables happy.

No. Not really.

Not enough (available) land.

The first block (along Ponce) is not owned by UM.

The next 6 blocks up from Ponce had fraternity houses along San Amaro. There have also been many buildings interspersed, and more recently, several newer buildings have been built, including housing and parking.

During the "Tad Foote Master Plan" years (1980-2000) , he wanted to put every new building idea on that land, he would NEVER have considered it for a football stadium. And with Coral Gables, the main sticking point has always been a zoning rule requiring X amount of parking spots within Y distance of the facility. It's the reason why they never allowed the BUC/Watsco to be built to its full seating capacity, even though any moron knows there is PLENTY of parking all around the UM campus. There was just never enough within a couple hundred yards of the arena.

So while the SW corner of the UM campus might seem to be big enough for ONLY a stadium, I'm not sure we would ever be able to put enough STADIUM parking close enough to the facility to make Coral Gables happy.
I appreciate the thorough response.

Advertisement
Ruiz just said the stadium will be 65k and going to cost roughly $2 billion, built in 2-3 years. Obviously, the plan is to remodel and upgrade the entire park to give community and several facilities for high school’s they don’t currently have. Plus, add a hotel and some kind of medical trauma center along. My info on medical building may be inaccurate.

Ruiz just said the stadium will be 65k and going to cost roughly $2 billion, built in 2-3 years. Obviously, the plan is to remodel and upgrade the entire park to give community and several facilities for high school’s they don’t currently have. Plus, add a hotel and some kind of medical trauma center along. My info on medical building may be inaccurate.

How do u feel about a 55k seat stadium? That might cut the cost down by a couple of mill

thousands of people use it every single day. it is very busy. it is one of the most frequently used parks in the county.

the community would be VERY hurt. boy scouts, baseball little league games, softball leagues, soccer leagues, the boxing gym, the frequently used equestrian center. it is a robust park and tens of thousands if not more people would lose a park.

public parks should not be used for private purposes. ever.
99.9% of the boxers in that park would benefit from the park getting knocked down and them hanging up the gloves. I have literally never seen a collection of that many scrubs in one place. If it was just a bunch of guys ******* around dribbling with both hands and shooting three pointers underhanded, Rick Barry style I wouldn't say anything, but boxing is the type of sport where if you are that schit at it, you should hang it up before you do life long irreparable damage.

The traffic everywhere in Los Angeles is pretty terrible. It’s like every highway is the Palmetto.

Honestly, the Orange Bowl traffic wasn't really that bad. It got backed up in the immediate area around the stadium because the city just wasn’t built to accommodate a 70,000 seat stadium but it wasn’t unbearable. If you knew the area, you could get in and out fairly easily. Everyone wasn’t funneled through one entrance/exit point
I have never been to another CFB stadium besides ours, unless I was completely trashed, so I don't remember. How do these little SEC towns handle this sort of traffic on gameday? I can imagine 55k people driving into the middle of Athens or Tuscaloosa would wreak even more havoc on their infrastructure than it would in Miami.

Advertisement
Back