Pitt Game 3

It's not surprising that BrianPiccolo made a new account after the Pitt series, but was nowhere to be found after the Florida series.

Same stuff every year. People get pumped up over a sweep of Pitt while we're on our way to a #2 seed.

Advertisement
Andrew understands the RPI well enough to know that we got an artificial RPI boost because Pitt came in at 10-1. That gave us a huge temporary jump in OWP. That, of course, will come back down to earth in ACC play.

It's not surprising that BrianPiccolo made a new account after the Pitt series, but was nowhere to be found after the Florida series.

Same stuff every year. People get pumped up over a sweep of Pitt while we're on our way to a #2 seed.
Speaking of new accounts Jagr. 1st post for you under a new screen name

It certainly isn't a bad thing that we swept Pittsburgh, who does surely have a pulse.

It might be fair to say we won in spite of ourselves. Which perhaps means excellent talent that might be nurtured with good coaching into something really decent. Hoping.

Advertisement
Nobody is pumped about a sweep over Pittsburgh. Maybe try reading and understanding the actual posts when you activate your next account.
I mean, I’ll admit to being kinda pumped. 3-0 in the ACC and a top 10 ranking. There’s issues for sure but if you can’t get any joy out of sweeping your first ACC opponent then what’s the point of this

I mean, I’ll admit to being kinda pumped. 3-0 in the ACC and a top 10 ranking. There’s issues for sure but if you can’t get any joy out of sweeping your first ACC opponent then what’s the point of this
The Gator Troll isn't a Canes supporter.

The best thing about this weekend to me was Lala getting back on track, and Tuero continuing to stay hot and not hurt us defensively.

The mental lapses and fundamental miscues are incredibly frustrating, but fixable. Our SP will keep us in most games, but we can't give good teams extra outs or run ourself out of big innings.

We need Gates and Gill to regain some confidence, because others will slump at some point and we'll need them.

Advertisement
Gil should move down like Toral did last year, or Gino should let Lauck play 3B on Wed.

BTW Vilar is making a decent case to bat 3rd.

Lala LF
Jenkins CF
Vilar SS
Del C
Toral 1B
Tuero 2B
Lauck 3B
Rivera RF
Gates DH

The best thing about this weekend to me was Lala getting back on track, and Tuero continuing to stay hot and not hurt us defensively.

The mental lapses and fundamental miscues are incredibly frustrating, but fixable. Our SP will keep us in most games, but we can't give good teams extra outs or run ourself out of big innings.

We need Gates and Gill to regain some confidence, because others will slump at some point and we'll need them.

Agree on Lala. That was encouraging.

Gil should move down like Toral did last year, or Gino should let Lauck play 3B on Wed.

BTW Vilar is making a decent case to bat 3rd.

Lala LF
Jenkins CF
Vilar SS
Del C
Toral 1B
Tuero 2B
Lauck 3B
Rivera RF
Gates DH

No he is not really. ADC is the better hitter. Your 3 hole is your best hitter.

ADC BA .391/SLG .429/OBP.500

Vilar BA .286/SLG .429/ OBP .339, and he strikes out more

I am a well known Vilar guy but let's not get carried away

No he is not really. ADC is the better hitter. Your 3 hole is your best hitter.

ADC BA .391/SLG .429/OBP.500

Vilar BA .286/SLG .429/ OBP .339, and he strikes out more

I am a well known Vilar guy but let's not get carried away

I don't really expect it to happen, and it would mainly be a response to Gil's slump.
Gil can't continue to bat any higher than 6th. He's a broken man right now.
Lala/Jenkins/Del/Toral/Vilar ...?

Advertisement
I don't really expect it to happen, and it would mainly be a response to Gil's slump.
I thinnk Tuero might be the best hitter on team.

Hey, I think I like this (or Tuero at 2). You are right though, Ray is in some kind of slump. I am no hitting coach but he needs to get closer to the plate, he is getting worked on the outer half.

Tuero is a pleasant surprise. He looks a lot bigger too.

Shame on Gino for playing favorites and starting Paige.

Advertisement
Tuero is a pleasant surprise. He looks a lot bigger too.

Shame on Gino for playing favorites and starting Paige.
Reminds me of Rosseau not starting over Patchan to start the season.

Maybe, just maybe we beat florida if Tuero was in. Has such a great plate presence

On Gil, other than him connecting with some high fastballs and getting them out of the park, his swing looks more like a co-ed softball swing at this point. He's not being patient at the plate, and every swing for him is trying to hit a HR.

I was hoping he'd work on his plate discipline more in the offseason, but apparently, he just kept with what worked in spurts last year. I love a guy that tries to hit everything hard like he does, but at this level - he's got to be more controlled/disciplined. Now (well, last offseason really) is/was the time to work on his craft and become a better all-around hitter to give himself a shot at the next level.

On Gil, other than him connecting with some high fastballs and getting them out of the park, his swing looks more like a co-ed softball swing at this point. He's not being patient at the plate, and every swing for him is trying to hit a HR.

I was hoping he'd work on his plate discipline more in the offseason, but apparently, he just kept with what worked in spurts last year. I love a guy that tries to hit everything hard like he does, but at this level - he's got to be more controlled/disciplined. Now (well, last offseason really) is/was the time to work on his craft and become a better all-around hitter to give himself a shot at the next level.
Ray reminds me a bit of Willie Abreu, 100% max swing on any count. But Ray is standing too far from the plate and pitchers are killing him working him away. He either strikes out looking or hits it off the end cap. Surely a hitting coach can help him out.

Advertisement
Back