Pitt Game 3

Dimare almost blew game 1 on his management of the bullpen.

I don't like how quick he pulls our relievers just to get a L/L or R/R matchup, our bullpen is not deep enough to play matchups like that. Palmquist needs more innings, his arm slot is a matchup nightmare for both righties and lefties. No reason to take out Palmquist after getting 2 outs. If we had dominant 8th/9th inning guys I would understand, but we don't.

Also: Gates needs more innings

Advertisement
Ray reminds me a bit of Willie Abreu, 100% max swing on any count. But Ray is standing too far from the plate and pitchers are killing him working him away. He either strikes out looking or hits it off the end cap. Surely a hitting coach can help him out.
When pitchers are working you away, you have two choices. Keep your approach the same, fix no mechanics except moving up on the plate more, and hope you can still catch up to fastballs inside when they inevitably come.

Or - fix the front foot. Stay in the same place in the box, keep the hands back, and use the front foot to stride to those pitches away and hit off of a solid backside.

Gil hasn't chosen either yet.

When pitchers are working you away, you have two choices. Keep your approach the same, fix no mechanics except moving up on the plate more, and hope you can still catch up to fastballs inside when they inevitably come.

Or - fix the front foot. Stay in the same place in the box, keep the hands back, and use the front foot to stride to those pitches away and hit off of a solid backside.

Gil hasn't chosen either yet.

He stays caught looking at strike 3 on balls away, so frustrating to watch, esp from an upper class 5 hole

Dimare almost blew game 1 on his management of the bullpen.

I don't like how quick he pulls our relievers just to get a L/L or R/R matchup, our bullpen is not deep enough to play matchups like that. Palmquist needs more innings, his arm slot is a matchup nightmare for both righties and lefties. No reason to take out Palmquist after getting 2 outs. If we had dominant 8th/9th inning guys I would understand, but we don't.

Also: Gates needs more innings
Equally as nauseating for me is him pinch hitting for matchups as well. College baseball is not this complicated.

He stays caught looking at strike 3 on balls away, so frustrating to watch, esp from an upper class 5 hole
Yeah. When you're a pull hitter pretty much exclusively, you're not going to offer at those outside pitches because you know you can't do much with them. Now...if you fix your mechanics and become a more complete hitter able to do something with pitches all across the plate...then you've got something. It's a hard fix to implement midseason, so either Gil makes an adjustment to cover that up a little, or we live with him getting pounded with pitches away that he can't do much with, and hope he cashes in and turns on inside pitch mistakes with regularity and doesn't miss when he gets it.

Advertisement
why does it seem we have the potential to end games with more errors than hits???

the neverending lack of good, consistent defense on this team is mind boggling.

Advertisement
What do you guys think about Quinonnes being forced into lineup?
No thanks. I would rather see Gates, Rivera, Thomas get ABs before him. To Ginos credit though he is trying to find some bats to help this lineup. He gets plenty of hate and how he has not sat Gil or moved him to the bottom third I do not know but we have to give him credit for playing more guys than 3 ever would.

also

LOSE THE ******* RETARDED WRISTBAND PLAY CALL SHEETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement
Back