Piecing together Richt's staff (with updates)

Advertisement
Running backs coach Thomas Brown is set to become a co-offensive coordinator for the Hurricanes and support staff member Todd Hartley will become special teams coordinator and also coach a position under Richt, according to a source.

Athens Banner Herald Mobile | Georgia News Digital Advertising Athens Banner-Herald Newspaper UGA Bulldogs

Amateur hour. I'm sure Richt will magically start winning big games now simply bc the weather in South Florida is warmer.

Running backs coach Thomas Brown is set to become a co-offensive coordinator for the Hurricanes and support staff member Todd Hartley will become special teams coordinator and also coach a position under Richt, according to a source.

Athens Banner Herald Mobile | Georgia News Digital Advertising Athens Banner-Herald Newspaper UGA Bulldogs

I assume db coach

No way that guy will be elevated to DB coach. That's a HUGE promo for him.

I assume db coach

he's coached some dbs before. If he's going to be a defensive PC, I think it's logical he would go there. Would be a questionable move though

I assume db coach

he's coached some dbs before. If he's going to be a defensive PC, I think it's logical he would go there. Would be a questionable move though

Isn't it out there that he'd be STs coach? Not that it is any better but elevating that guy to a positional coaching position makes me queasy.

Advertisement
Kuligowski is following Richt and Christmas-Giles somewhat recently on twitter.

I assume db coach

Isn't it out there that he'd be STs coach? Not that it is any better but elevating that guy to a positional coaching position makes me queasy.

Hartley was the special teams coach and safeties coach at Marshall before he went back to Georgia.

I assume db coach

Hartley was the special teams coach and safeties coach at Marshall before he went back to Georgia.

Yeah but did you look at his picture? Lulz

Advertisement
Hartley coaching DBs would be an awful hire.

Yeah not feeling that move at all. Special teams? Meh, would prefer someone with more experience there but I'm okay with it. DBs? We can do a billion times better.

P.S. Pete Lembo, a freaking Head Coach, just became the Special Teams coordinator at Maryland. WTF is that?

Last edited:
Hartley will be special teams coordinator and also coach tight ends or defensive backs, per the source. It’s a reunion with Richt for Hartley, who got his start in coaching as a student assistant for Richt at Georgia in 2006.

Advertisement
I haven't sampled all these threads. DeWayne Walker is another undervalued defensive coach, IMO, along with Clancy Pendergast, who I mentioned a few weeks ago. Supposedly Pendergast has been offered the USC defensive coordinator position by Clay Helton but hasn't made up his mind due to the uncertainty of the 49ers coaching staff. That was the variable I mentioned a few weeks ago in regard to Pendergast.

I follow Pac 12 football closely since I went to school out there and then lived in Las Vegas for 25 years. DeWayne Walker was an effective defensive coordinator for UCLA about a decade ago and then campaigned for the head coaching job. He didn't get it and got frustrated, to the point he got desperate and took the top job at a no-chance program like New Mexico State. He quit that job despite a contract extension and is now an assistant with the Jaguars. It wouldn't be unlikely that he'd return to the college ranks for a high profile defensive coordinator role now that he's gotten the head coaching itch out of the way.

Those UCLA defenses were surprisingly aggressive in Walker's tenure. In fact, UCLA in 2006 upset USC as 13 point home underdog to deny USC a national championship berth as the Bruins battered the USC running game throughout the game, one season after USC rambled for something like 400+ yards on the ground a year earlier, before Walker got the job.

Anyway, just a name I thought I would throw out there, someone who isn't obvious. Pendergast probably wants to remain on the West Coast but with Walker already in Jacksonville the regional aspect shouldn't be an issue.

From a guy on 247 UGA board on Hartley:

Munson Magic said... "I have worked with him first hand(including gala weekend) and seen his hustle/drive. Players may be short sighted and not listen to people that haven't played big time ball but Todd Hartley is a grinder and **** good at what he does. I will be sad we are losing him. He really filled the director of recruiting role well. He is one of the main cogs in the wheel. People think it's just about coaches visiting - they have no clue. People like him are the ones that do the leg work and grind so that big names like coach richt can come in and sweep up."

Advertisement
If Thomas Brown is making 600k, the McClendon must be holding out for at least 1 million.

Me thinks the South Carolina stuff is a negotiating tool. I just can't see him going there with Roper as the OC. Also, he doesn't really fit well on the new Georgia staff either IMO.

From a guy on 247 UGA board on Hartley:

Munson Magic said... "I have worked with him first hand(including gala weekend) and seen his hustle/drive. Players may be short sighted and not listen to people that haven't played big time ball but Todd Hartley is a grinder and **** good at what he does. I will be sad we are losing him. He really filled the director of recruiting role well. He is one of the main cogs in the wheel. People think it's just about coaches visiting - they have no clue. People like him are the ones that do the leg work and grind so that big names like coach richt can come in and sweep up."

So does that put him in a role similar to Baez?

I don't think hartley will be the main db coach. He likely would be working with the dbs mainly maybe safties while being special teams coordinator.

So does that put him in a role similar to Baez?

I think that's the role he is leaving at UGA in order to coach on the field again. The moderator there said he heard ST but several others have inferred TE or DB's. (He's coached TE before, hoping it's not DB. Wanted WM)

Advertisement
Back