Piecing together Richt's staff (with updates)

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
I'm going to keep this thread near the top of page 1 if I can and update it to reflect various opinions/ideas until they become permanent. For now, I'm gonna treat it like an Al Golden Depth Chart release =P

Head Coach/Playcaller - Mark Richt

"Offensive Assistant" - Jon Richt*

ST/TE Coach - Todd Hartley*

Running Backs Coach/Co-OC - Thomas Brown*

Wide Receivers Coach

Offensive Line Coach - Stacy Searels*

Defensive Coordinator - Manny Diaz*

Defensive Line Coach - Craig Kuligowski*

Linebackers Coach - Mannny Diaz

Cornerbacks - Mike Rumph*

Safeties - Ephraim Banda

S&C Coach -

12/14 edit - becoming increasingly clear that Richt wants Lilly and McClendon on staff. I think he wants Rocker too, though Rocker may have other options.

12/20 edit - bump to reflect additional possible names at DB Coach and Richt's son as possible QB coach or support staff.

12/21 edit - looks like Rocker is staying at UGA. McClendon may or may be pursued by Muschamp at South Carolina. Updated to include Thomas Brown and Todd Hartley. * indicates a confirmed hire.

12/27 edit - Kuligowski to DL coach per Pete

12/31 edit - removed Hurlie and Kehoe

1/2 edit - added Manny Diaz

1/3 edit - added Stacy Searels

1/4 edit - added Mike Rumph

Last edited:
Advertisement
Slow morning today so let's examine some of the rumors/conjecture/probables around what Mark Richt's staff might look like in 2016:

Head Coach/QB Coach/Playcaller - Mark Richt

Offensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach/Recruiting Coordinator - James Coley

If Coley swallows his pride (and a pay increase) I think he could be retained in this role if he wants it. I'm pretty sure that's what Richt wants, it's just a matter if Coley is okay going back to his "old role" from FSU. In the end, extra $$$, a shiny new job title, and the lack of other options might lead him to stay.

Running Backs Coach - Ice Harris

I'm basing this primarily off of the fact that he was out there recruiting with Richt the other night. I have a feeling anybody you see dealing directly with recruits, especially on in-homes and visits, may be retained.

Wide Receivers Coach - Brian McClendon

I like Kevin Beard a lot. I was hoping he'd be retained. That said, scuttlebutt has been that McClendon may follow Richt, and at least one WR recruit was "iffy" on if Beard was still recruiting him. This leads me to believe that BMac is the guy. Interestingly, he was also Recruiting Coordinator and Passing Game Coordinator at UGA, so if he is hired, it MAY have an effect on Coley's role/decision... (speculation of course.)

Tight Ends Coach/Special Teams Coordinator - John Lilly

Lilly is another one that's been heavily rumored to follow Richt here from UGA. He was the former recruiting coordinator at FSU before joining UGA's staff in 08. Heck of a recruiter and a good coach as well. Sadly, this may mean the end of Larry Scott on staff here. What I'm really hoping is that if Scott does indeed get nudged out, Richt and friends might help land him a good job elsewhere - he's earned it. Another possibility would be if he's retained in a "non-coaching" staff role - remember, that was one of Richt's sticking points when he was hired.

Offensive Line Coach - Art Kehoe

Again, basing this off what Kehoe has been telling recruits and that he's still "on the trail." I think this would be primarily a continuity hire - we have almost the entire Kehoe-coached/recruited OL returning in 2016. Wouldn't do backflips if Kehoe is retained, but it makes sense and I'd certainly support the decision.

Defensive Coordinator - ???

This is obviously the big one. Willie Martinez's name has been kicked around, but again the logic doesn't add up there - I think/hope he lands at DB coach here. So if we're spending the big money on this position (we should), it opens things up to a plethora of names. Look for Richt to focus on his guy after the bowl games. Some hints at philosophy he's been throwing around lead me to believe we'll be looking at a 4-3 base scheme (with the flexibility to change on the fly if need be.) Richt's defenses focus heavily on the front 7 - disruptive DL that can get upfield and LBs that primarily work downhill. Call it a "North-South" defensive philosophy if you will. No idea who the guy is, but based at least on the sound bytes from Richt and the potential budget - I think we'll be pleased.

Defensive Line Coach - Tracy Rocker

Really going on Valid's sauces here, but I'm very hopeful Rocker is the guy. **** of a player, **** of a coach, **** of a recruiter. Would be a great addition to the staff, IMO.

Linebackers Coach - Hurlie Brown

Like Ice and Kehoe, Hurlie has been seen on the recruiting trail recently which leads me to believe he'll be on staff somewhere this year. Hurlie is one of those "utility coaches" that could end up anywhere from LB coach to RB coach to OL coach depending on how the chips fall. Another name linked to the staff has been UGA's LB coach Kevin Sherrer. If Sherrer is hired, look for the "Hurlie Shuffle" to keep him on staff somewhere.

Defensive Backs Coach - Willie Martinez

There's been internet talk on Martinez for DC but that makes very little logical sense based on money we're supposedly willing to put into that position. If Richt wants Martinez, I have to believe it's for DB coach - he currently holds the same position at Tennessee.

An interesting note about this particular staff setup, if it holds up (which I'm sure it won't but bear with me.) To me this staff, rather than having several "technique" guys and several "recruiters", has a lot of "good coaches who can recruit." Martinez, Rocker, Lilly, and McClendon are all very good position coaches AND are highly thought of in recruiting circles. You'd still have a couple "pure" recruiters, especially if Coley is retained, but there'd be some darn good coaches on that staff and I think you'd see technical upgrades at almost every position - especially DB and DL.

I think you'd switch Coley and Scott... From what Richt said about coaching QB's and calling plays, I think that means Coley is out. Scott was co-coordinator this year prior to being elevated as HC and I think Richt will keep him on staff in that capacity. He said he wants an offensive coordinator to structure the offense from week to week but not call plays. This has Scott's name written all over it. May be too much of a neg for Coley's ego.

Advertisement
Nice work, hope Kehoe is shown the door. That OL is a mess and would love to see some new blood in here to coach these guys up. Art's a great guy and a true Cane but the OL is a huge ? right now.

I think you'd switch Coley and Scott... From what Richt said about coaching QB's and calling plays, I think that means Coley is out. Scott was co-coordinator this year prior to being elevated as HC and I think Richt will keep him on staff in that capacity. He said he wants an offensive coordinator to structure the offense from week to week but not call plays. This has Scott's name written all over it. May be too much of a neg for Coley's ego.

Good call. I just saw on the recruiting board that Scott has indeed been out on the trail with Richt, so hopefully that's a good sign for him. I'd like to keep him somewhere if possible.

So you think they'd actually diminish Coley's role but increase his salary and give him the AHC title?

Advertisement
I may keep this post towards the top and edit it every so often as new info comes along...

Advertisement
[MENTION=293]ghost2[/MENTION]: Larry Scott has been with Richt on the recruiting trail.

Advertisement
So you think they'd actually diminish Coley's role but increase his salary and give him the AHC title?

IF Richt wants him to stay I think that's what he'd have to do to keep him.

Interesting. Btw, if Scott ends up being pushed out then Scott Frost at UCF would be a fool to not give him the position you've described here for Coley.

Advertisement
Back