Phillips and Hedley future

This is pretty funny. Between the two of them Hedley is probably better off leaving considering his performance + age. They should both stick around, but Phillips has no business entering the draft. His technique clearly needs work he doesn't have much film, and the production just doesn't scream Day 1/2 pick.

Advertisement
Hedley wants to finish his degree and won't be able to get it done without coming back.

But tbh if his dreams are the NFL, it would be bad for him to return as his draft stock, right now, can only go down. He could get his degree if the NFL doesn't work out or when he retires.

Would love him back, but could easily see him leaving if he continues on the pace he is currently and one of his family members or friends tells him about trying the NFL now that he is hot and getting his degree afterwards.
Draft stock? He's a punter lol

In the VA game, sideline reporter talked at length about interviewing Hedley. He wants to return for another year and get his degree. Good news!

The announcers, when talking about Phillips, said he was likely NFL bound. No way they make that blanket statement without hearing it from one of the staff members, or from Phillips himself. He needs to come back.

Reporters completely and absolutely talk out of their asses all the **** time, but clearly there's "no way" they'd make that blanket statement.

Phillips is a baller, look at his pressure rates. He may not get the sacks but he causes pressure plus he plays the run well. With that being said he needs another year and more film to get drafted the highest that he’s capable of imo

Phillips def needs to come back. Those are just ACC rates and he’s not near the top.

Hedley is smart to get the degree. More players should leverage the education - it will be worth more to most of them in long run.

38 tackles (pace for in 12) vs 27. One started, one didn't. Phillips runs himself out of every play being 10 yards upfield regardless of situation

The difference is Phillips is going to measure 6’5, 265, run a 4.6 and move like a safety in drills. And his motor is real.

I hope he comes back but his age and injury history makes me think he goes pro. In his mind, he can get coached up at that level.

Advertisement
If Phillips leaves after the season the most likely reason why is because he has serious injury history. Players with injury histories are always counting down just how many games they have left to play and whether they will play the games for free (college) or be paid (NFL).
Think of it this way, if you were told you could only play 100 more football games and that you are good enough to play in the NFL, would you spend any of those 100 games playing for free in college? Very unlikely. Phillips has to assume that one concussion may end his career. Better to suffer that concussion during season 4 of an NFL career after having attained your pension. Dollars and cents/sense

A lot can happen in the second half of the season, let's wait and see.
Draft stocks can go up or down, there's still lots of time.
Would love for everyone to return but it's just not realistic.
NFL is every kids dream can't criticize them no matter where they are drafted.

I don't see it with Phillips, but would like to stack chips at D-end.
Would love to have Hedley back, because he's a baller and impacts this team chances of winning close games

Advertisement
In the VA game, sideline reporter talked at length about interviewing Hedley. He wants to return for another year and get his degree. Good news!

The announcers, when talking about Phillips, said he was likely NFL bound. No way they make that blanket statement without hearing it from one of the staff members, or from Phillips himself. He needs to come back.
Some of our fans are so soft. It's almost embarrassing. ALMOST

GO CANES!!!!!

The difference is Phillips is going to measure 6’5, 265, run a 4.6 and move like a safety in drills. And his motor is real.

I hope he comes back but his age and injury history makes me think he goes pro. In his mind, he can get coached up at that level.
Motor... is he a 'gym rat' too?

He seems to run well straight line, god knows he wastes energy like a champ, he also gets reached and walled up field a lot for a guy that's 265lbs. He plays too tall at the POA and some of that is Baker's scheme. He's standing up in a 2 point which I assume he'll be some form of "edge rusher" in the NFL. But it's really hard to be a 2pt end in an even front to the field side.

I haven't seen him "move like a safety," re his COD ability or in space, but I'm assuming that was hyperbole. He had one 5 bobble interception with a dive to it against FSU, he goes to the ground a lot rather than staying on his feet, he engages the OL too much to their advantage rather than getting a reach on their shoulder, too much middle-body contact.

I appreciate that he chases plays down unlike Roche who loafs at an excessive level when plays go away or out run him. He needs to learn to move in space with his hips about 12" lower before he's even All-ACC let alone All Pro. Can't drop to the flat standing completely upright.

He's also quit football once before, has been injured enough to quit football, and what Miami player has put on an impressive combine in the last 6-7 years? Njoku? Osborn's was impressive for a G5 guy.

Motor... is he a 'gym rat' too?

Phillips plays hard every snap, even if it's wasted energy. NFL coaches value that and view it as an opportunity to channel that energy in the right direction. Dontari Poe had 33 tackles, 8 TFLs and 1 sack at Memphis and got drafted 11th overall. Jason Pierre-Paul had one season with 6.5 sacks at USF and went 15th. GMs justified those picks by arguing that they can take their raw activity and physical tools and develop them as pros. In those examples, they were right: both guys made Pro Bowls and are still playing.

No argument regarding your technical critiques of Phillips' game. He's just running around out there. But we've seen this story before. He's shown enough to get drafted Day 2 and, given his age and injury history, will likely take his chances with pro coaches.

and what Miami player has put on an impressive combine in the last 6-7 years? Njoku? Osborn's was impressive for a G5 guy.

In high school, Phillips weighed in at 6'5, 241 and put up these verified numbers: 4.65 40, 4.50 shuttle, 32 vert, 47 power throw, 99th percentile SPARQ. Baker said they expect him to run 4.6 at 270 now. You see the elite power ball in his explosive power, which he combines with naturally big and heavy hands. That’s why he reminds me of Vernon.

The difference between Phillips and Hill, who you mentioned, is that Hill ran a 4.9 at 233 with below average numbers everywhere else. Just a different level of physical tools.

Phillips moves like a safety because he actually played some safety in high school and returned punts for TDs. I’ve seen him go through drills and expect his fluidity in that setting to impress teams. He may project best as a 3-4 OLB.

I hope he comes back and actually develops in college. But I suspect he will go the Vernon/JPP route and save all his sacks for the pros.

Phillips is a baller, look at his pressure rates. He may not get the sacks but he causes pressure plus he plays the run well. With that being said he needs another year and more film to get drafted the highest that he’s capable of imo

Did Jones @ Pitt even play in our game, seems overrated similar to Wilson @ FSPuke.

Advertisement
Phillips shouldn’t go pro but likely will. His size and athleticism are prototypical for the next level. He won’t go as high as anyone thinks but he also will have a long leash with the numbers he will test at. Guy will at least bounce around for a few years with teams trying to develop him.

He’s a better NFL prospect (not necessarily a better college player) than Garvin or Jackson were.

Hedley wants to finish his degree and won't be able to get it done without coming back.

But tbh if his dreams are the NFL, it would be bad for him to return as his draft stock, right now, can only go down. He could get his degree if the NFL doesn't work out or when he retires.

Would love him back, but could easily see him leaving if he continues on the pace he is currently and one of his family members or friends tells him about trying the NFL now that he is hot and getting his degree afterwards.
Punters should never leave early.

The one time a player wants to actually stay it might actually hurt their stock lol. Im sure Phillips is gone even though he has no reason to leave.

Advertisement
Phillips plays hard every snap, even if it's wasted energy. NFL coaches value that and view it as an opportunity to channel that energy in the right direction. Dontari Poe had 33 tackles, 8 TFLs and 1 sack at Memphis and got drafted 11th overall. Jason Pierre-Paul had one season with 6.5 sacks at USF and went 15th. GMs justified those picks by arguing that they can take their raw activity and physical tools and develop them as pros. In those examples, they were right: both guys made Pro Bowls and are still playing.

No argument regarding your technical critiques of Phillips' game. He's just running around out there. But we've seen this story before. He's shown enough to get drafted Day 2 and, given his age and injury history, will likely take his chances with pro coaches.

In high school, Phillips weighed in at 6'5, 241 and put up these verified numbers: 4.65 40, 4.50 shuttle, 32 vert, 47 power throw, 99th percentile SPARQ. Baker said they expect him to run 4.6 at 270 now. You see the elite power ball in his explosive power, which he combines with naturally big and heavy hands. That’s why he reminds me of Vernon.

The difference between Phillips and Hill, who you mentioned, is that Hill ran a 4.9 at 233 with below average numbers everywhere else. Just a different level of physical tools.

Phillips moves like a safety because he actually played some safety in high school and returned punts for TDs. I’ve seen him go through drills and expect his fluidity in that setting to impress teams. He may project best as a 3-4 OLB.

I hope he comes back and actually develops in college. But I suspect he will go the Vernon/JPP route and save all his sacks for the pros.
I almost was guilty of thinking you may have been blowing smoke but I had forgotten how insane his sparq really is/can be. Makes it honestly even more frustrating how we don’t unleash him/coach him up in a better way to get his best right now not in the NFL years later

Advertisement
Back