Phillips 1st rnd Projection

Advertisement
I can see it both ways with Phillips but if you have a chance to make generational money its hard to fault a guy for taking it. Sure, there is legit opportunity to make millions more but at a certain point you have to lock in the gains and drop some risk.

4th round money, nah I am coming back and gambling on myself. Especially if just one solid year without injury probably bumps me to the second like Brevin. It's all about risk vs reward and where that tipping point is. If the athletic potential is there, HAVE to get into that second round or doesn't make business sense to leave early.

Average Guaranteed Dollars by Round
1st Round – $16,939,370
2nd Round – $3,786853
3rd Round – $946,211
4th Round – $692,925
5th Round – $301,369
6th Round – $161,745
7th Round – $88,795
Using “averages” for first round … is not the right way to look at it.

I said I respect the choice, but I think he’s playing short money.
You are thinking way too much into this. A first round pick is a first round pick. And all signs point to him being one since we all assume he is going to go ape$hit at the combine. Now where he falls in the first round doesnt matter. The rule is simple: If you are given a first round draft grade, DEUCES! **** even the great Nick Saban will vouch for that. Heard him say it out of his own mouth..if a kid is projected to go first round..he advises them to go and dont look back. That will never change.

Some guys take the risk and stay..but thats exactly what that is..a risk. Thank JP for the memories and let the kid go man. This has been debated enough.

Advertisement
No combine will hurt guys like Phillips and Greg who would have tested very well. Greg is a mid first and I think Phillips goes late first at the earliest but 2nd round sounds about right. If Phillips came back next year and had a good year he's a top 15 pick no doubt. Obviously, it would have been nice to have him back but I get it.
I dont believe Greg would test well teams aren't enamored by his athleticism. He is a projected 1st round pick off size and 1 year of production.

I get what you are saying but can you point to another player that had a 1st round grade and decided to come back at the hopes of having a higher first round grade and accomplished it?
It’s an excellent point; however, it does and has happened. But, you’re missing the point: the choice is different for each player depending on what position they play among other things. (Ex. Mike Harley coming back goes from definitely UDFA to probably UDFA.)

I dont believe Greg would test well teams aren't enamored by his athleticism. He is a projected 1st round pick off size and 1 year of production.
The kid played WR (among other positions) in HS. I think he is a good enough athlete to test well.

And Phillips adds those same qualities AND the fact that he previously quit the sport. A GM with a bone to pick will pick. (FWIW, I think Greg said he’ll run in the 4.6’s…)

Advertisement
And Phillips adds those same qualities AND the fact that he previously quit the sport. A GM with a bone to pick will pick. (FWIW, I think Greg said he’ll run in the 4.6’s…)
If he runs a 4.6 (which I think thats a stretch) he will be a top 10 pick. That size and length (PAUSE) and running a 4.6? No team will let him slip past 10.

If he just runs a 4.75 or better he is a first round lock no questions asked. Anything slower than that and he might slip to the late first round.

It’s an excellent point; however, it does and has happened. But, you’re missing the point: the choice is different for each player depending on what position they play among other things. (Ex. Mike Harley coming back goes from definitely UDFA to probably UDFA.)
The bold was my question, I could not think of one. Maybe Marvin Wilson had a 1st round grade but I think the decision to come back hurt him. I get each choice is different for each player which is why I limited my question for an example of a kid who had a first round grade, came back, and went higher in the first round.

Christian Wilkins maybe? But even after his senior year he was still 13 and I believe you are saying top 10 is where the big cash is at and what Phillips would be shooting for.

I said I respect the choice, but I think he’s playing short money.

Who was the last guy that came back for his senior season at Miami and got this draft bump we always hear about?

They leave early because they aren't improving here at Miami. Brevin hasn't improved in three years. Another year isn't going to change anything.
If you can get into the first round with the concussion issues Phillips has had. You take the money and run.

Advertisement
If he runs a 4.6 (which I think thats a stretch) he will be a top 10 pick. That size and length (PAUSE) and running a 4.6? No team will let him slip past 10.

If he just runs a 4.75 or better he is a first round lock no questions asked. Anything slower than that and he might slip to the late first round.
For the record, he said it not me. It was either on a podcast or some other interview.

Who was the last guy that came back for his senior season at Miami and got this draft bump we always hear about?

They leave early because they aren't improving here at Miami. Brevin hasn't improved in three years. Another year isn't going to change anything.
If you can get into the first round with the concussion issues Phillips has had. You take the money and run.
I would agree that athletes don’t seem to improve at Miami. I’m also on record as saying (for years) that Matt Leinart was an idiot and Mitch Trubisky was a genius. The only point I’m making in that in the rare chance that you’re a Phillips like talent, it’s worth it to look at returning. That’s a different choice than Brevin. And certainly a different choice from Bolden or Harley.

They’re both leaving a lot of money on the table.
Rousseau shouted played this year and both Brevin and JP should’ve stayed.
Until the draft and until we see how significant the drop at defensive end play will be, many people on here will neg this comment. Basing decisions on “draft experts” every **** year has proven to be a futile effort.

Remember after GW left and our stack left lay was basically average at best poor most days and it was salvaged by Rousseaus production and even then we lost a bunch of games.

Advertisement
He looks like he runs a 4.8 40. Alot of his sacks were from the inside or someone else got the pressure and he got the sack by getting a hand on the qbs feet and tripping him. He's not a pure edge rusher right now and might never be. I think he'll drop as the draft gets closer

I remember hearing about a college basketball coach who had a meeting with one of his players after the season. He was worried about the player leaving early for the NBA. He told the kid that he might be a 2nd round pick and would only make 2-3 million dollars but if he came back he would be in the first round he would make 10 million. The kid admitted later that he was not thinking about leaving early but when his coach told him he would be a second round pick and make a million dollars he jumped at it. The kid grew up poor and the idea of making a million dollars was undeniable.

The point is it is easy for us to say 12 million for 4 years at the bottom of the first round is worthless and the kid should wait for the 20 million a year later. I do not know Phillips background but for a kid who was thinking of quitting the game just a few years ago to now making 12 million dollars is undeniable.

Now this talk should not be attributed to kids who leave early that have no chance at being drafted and lose the chance at the degree and could make 2-4 million over a lifetime of office work. So many posters on here tell the kid to get his money as if because he leaves he will get that NFL money. There is a reason why some guys get 12 million and MOST get nothing. Talent. But because both wore the U on their helmets that they are equally talented. wrong

Phillips should be thanking Rousseau for opting out because he’d be coming back next year because he would have been rotational behind Roche as well and wouldn’t have put out that film or production.

Worked out well for both of them. Good look for us.

Advertisement
Back