Phil Steele preseason All-ACC teams

Advertisement
Steele's name holds weight.

Hall will make All-ACC before Finley would though.

Advertisement
Steele's name holds weight.

Hall will make All-ACC before Finley would though.

I disagree. Finley was the most consistent player throughout the year for our defense and is going to get more playing time with this new DC liking the 4-2-5 more than Diaz. However, when it comes to Safeties in the ACC next year, the only guy in the whole conference that is ballyhoo'd as a superstar going into 2019 is Syracuse's Andre Cisco, as opposed to the LB's have a few big names. Hall will definitely have an easier path for his position group.

I disagree. Finley was the most consistent player throughout the year for our defense and is going to get more playing time with this new DC liking the 4-2-5 more than Diaz. However, when it comes to Safeties in the ACC next year, the only guy in the whole conference that is ballyhoo'd as a superstar going into 2019 is Syracuse's Andre Cisco, as opposed to the LB's have a few big names. Hall will definitely have an easier path for his position group.
Finley would be classified as a safety on All-ACC teams.

Advertisement
Finley would be classified as a safety on All-ACC teams.
If that ends up being the case, then I'd go with Hall too. I think Finley is going to have a great year, but it'll be naturally easier for Hall to have more recognition just from being on the back end more often.

He was unbelievable when I saw him in spring, a different player in terms of get-off and confidence. The wrist injury was bad timing but the cast should be coming off soon.

Never good to have a defensive tackle not be able to lift for 4 months.

Hope he can regain his strength quickly. I assume if his wrist is in a cast, he's not lifting, at least most upper body muscles.

If that ends up being the case, then I'd go with Hall too. I think Finley is going to have a great year, but it'll be naturally easier for Hall to have more recognition just from being on the back end more often.
Yeah, I'm assuming he would be classified as a safety since technically he is the 5th DB in the 4-2-5. Finley is solid, I'm not saying he is a bum at all, but I'm extremely high on Hall this year.

Phil Steele is the only preseason magazine that's not just regurgitated gibberish. Most publications put a ton of research into the top 10 teams and just kind of ignore the rest of the nation using generic blurbs as "team previews". Steele goes in depth for everybody. He explains his rating system and how he comes up with his power rankings using a mathematical formula that's usually pretty accurate. If there is a knock on him, he puts such a premium on talent that coaching often gets ignored. I think he picked Miami to win the coastal division three times under Golden for the same reason we all thought Miami would win the Coastal. More talent than the rest of the division. Like us, he didn't bank on totally inept coaching ruining what were normally fairly talented squads. It's no different this year. Miami is more talented than every other team in their division. The only teams on the schedule with even comparable talent are UF and FSU. The only more talented team than Miami in the ACC is Clemson but I still believe that margin is fairly wide.

Advertisement
He's super high on Miami and I have zero gripes with that list. Could see Jeff moving up as well as Bandy. I could also see Nesta replacing Ford on that list but I love that Steele is high on Ford.

Advertisement
He's super high on Miami and I have zero gripes with that list. Could see Jeff moving up as well as Bandy. I could also see Nesta replacing Ford on that list but I love that Steele is high on Ford.

It would be great to have Nesta and Ford going crazy at the same time. That's a lot of pwer at DT.

Advertisement
Back