Other Sports PGA vs LIV: Players Suspended

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Premium
Thoughts? I personally despise any relationship (business or governmental) with the Saudis and this goes back through administrations of both parties and before the China whataboutism. That said, this probably won't matter much unless the majors follow suit.

Advertisement
Thoughts? I personally despise any relationship (business or governmental) with the Saudis and this goes back through administrations of both parties and before the China whataboutism. That said, this probably won't matter much unless the majors follow suit.

As a golf fan, I'm still in wait and see mode with respect to how it affects the quality of golf we are able to watch.

I understand the moral issues people have with it, they are legitimate... but the whataboutism you alluded to is also legitimate point. As you mentioned, China being the obvious example where people and entire industries turn a blind eye. Since the main human rights issue that gets brought up with the Saudi's was the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, a journalist, I think the media has been especially critical of these players decisions. Some of the questions they were asked at the press conferences this week were over the top, in my opinion.

As a golf fan, I'm still in wait and see mode with respect to how it affects the quality of golf we are able to watch.

I understand the moral issues people have with it, they are legitimate... but the whataboutism you alluded to is also legitimate point. As you mentioned, China being the obvious example where people and entire industries turn a blind eye. Since the main human rights issue that gets brought up with the Saudi's was the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, a journalist, I think the media has been especially critical of these players decisions. Some of the questions they were asked at the press conferences this week were over the top, in my opinion.
I think as far as the actual golf that you're correct- the ramifications are pretty much still undetermined not to mention a clear understanding of how long the Saudis maintain interest in this too.

There is going to be a level of hypocrisy involved with globalism and a LOT of foreign enterprise and one will always be able to say "well what about this country?" and that is going to be especially true with a country like China where we're beyond entangled with them economically.

I think the difference with the Saudis and this instance (and this animus goes back to 9/11 with me) is that we could* with much less pain disentangle ourselves from economic and foreign policy relationships with them. And in this specific instance it's a golf league essentially directly run by their government in an effort to "normalize" their country and MBS in western culture.

I think/would hope the reaction and critiques would be exactly the same if the ChiCom government and Xi Jinping were essentially running their own sports league, trying to poach stars AND trying to sell it to a western audience all as part of a larger operation to infiltrate/influence our cultural landscapes.

Can't bet on LIV events, YouTube is only viewing option = recipe for failure in the USA.
Ahhh, didn't know either of that. Yeah, that's not promising for them then. Why no wagering?

Advertisement
Can't bet on LIV events, YouTube is only viewing option = recipe for failure in the USA.
No betting?? I've got it on in the background right now and the broadcast looks like it was put together solely for gamblers lol

No betting?? I've got it on in the background right now and the broadcast looks like it was put together solely for gamblers lol
I know I heard/read that betting in the US was an issue. Maybe having to do with shotgun starts? Different format? Apologize if I'm all wrong on this.

-2100175840799295955.jpg

I love that the PGA has competition. They haven't been doing right by the players and now they have options. Jared Kushner says quarter, Nickle, dime, penny, Saudis Money good as any. Money talks BS walks.

Advertisement
You can bet on it.

This is going to be very interesting. As we all know, those Saudi pockets are deeeeeeeeeeeep. If you can still play in the majors, I think you're going to see a lot more guys go. First place this week in a 48 man field of mostly jabroni's is $4M. Bryson got $100M to go. Not a lot of guys are going to be able to say no to that.

This absolutely has merit. I just don't know if the Saudis stick with it just for the sake of sticking with it if the hype/attention wanes quickly as a best case scenario for them seems like two watered down tours.

Advertisement
I'm old fashioned and don't like having our manufacturing jobs and capabilities lost due to dependence on China, and don't like any business with Saudi Arabia due to the simple fact that they still finance 99% of international terrorism, and had parties celebrating 9/11. The only goal of Liv Golf is to try to some degree to "clean up" the image of the Saudi Government. The PGA might have some issues but it is also responsible in a large degree for providing competition and venues for these golfers to have honed their games and become very wealthy via winnings and sponsorships. I respect people like Jack Nicklaus and Tiger for turning down huge financial offers from the Saudis as a sign of respect for the PGA and the USA.

I'm old fashioned and don't like having our manufacturing jobs and capabilities lost due to dependence on China, and don't like any business with Saudi Arabia due to the simple fact that they still finance 99% of international terrorism, and had parties celebrating 9/11. The only goal of Liv Golf is to try to some degree to "clean up" the image of the Saudi Government. The PGA might have some issues but it is also responsible in a large degree for providing competition and venues for these golfers to have honed their games and become very wealthy via winnings and sponsorships. I respect people like Jack Nicklaus and Tiger for turning down huge financial offers from the Saudis as a sign of respect for the PGA and the USA.
But PGA tour getting apparel and promotional items from Uighur forced labor is ok?

#IGuessYouGottaPickYourBattles

Advertisement
But PGA tour getting apparel and promotional items from Uighur forced labor is ok?

#IGuessYouGottaPickYourBattles
If you actually read my post I clearly stated that I don’t like having our manufacturing jobs lost to. China. That includes clothing, Sporting goods, tools, medicine, domestic appliances, electronics. The USA needs the jobs and also the updated manufacturing capability and independence.

If you actually read my post I clearly stated that I don’t like having our manufacturing jobs lost to. China. That includes clothing, Sporting goods, tools, medicine, domestic appliances, electronics. The USA needs the jobs and also the updated manufacturing capability and independence.
I did actually read your post.

My comment stands the test.

My point was there is no way in modern life to live, think, breathe without some sort of significant conflict of interest or values.

I think it’s good for golf. Pro sports have leagues all around the world, why can’t golf have more than just the couple it has now? If the money is out there, guys should go get it.

And lol at anyone who allows Chinese slave labor companies to profit off of them, criticize somebody for taking Saudi money. No money is clean and the grandstanding that comes with taking from one, but not the other, won’t change that.

Advertisement
Back