Peter Ariz on practice standouts (4/2)

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator

Peter Ariz provided his thoughts from Tuesday’s practice on the CanesInSight Daily Podcast. Below are some of his observations on the standouts:

On Markel Bell: What stood out to me are his proportions. You're talking about a guy who's 6’8, 6’9. In my experience as an agent dealing with offensive linemen (Peter represented first rounder Tytus Howard, among others) and just understanding how that position is scouted, those tall guys usually have disproportionately skinny...

Continue reading...

Advertisement
Thanks Peter! In good news per quote below all DBs will at least be in matching oven mitts for practice. A sign of uniform continuity could be conducive to a better work environment for all.

[There was a holding called on Zaquan Patterson. Riley Williams fought through contact and made the catch going out towards the sideline where some of us reporters were standing. Riley, with a smile on his face, got right in Patterson's face and basically said, “You're holding me, and I still caught it.” They had a good back and forth. It was all just competitive nature between them. ]

I’m confused, this was written by Pete, and then there is a portion of it where someone else is talking about Pete’s background?

Is that Pete talking about himself in the third person? Never seen it’s equal in editorial strategy.
This is my transcription of Pete’s comments from the video in the OP.

I’m confused, this was written by Pete, and then there is a portion of it where someone else is talking about Pete’s background?

Is that Pete talking about himself in the third person? Never seen it’s equal in editorial strategy.
It’s Pete’s eyebrow singing the praises of Pete’s background. His eyebrow is like his own hype man

Advertisement
From Practice reviews seems like Damari, DPJ and Jadais are playing pretty good and there have been examples of their play.

But with all the safeties its a lot of "they have the right tools, they look good" but no concrete evidence of them playing well or making plays. (except for Zaquan)

Also how come there is no mention of DL while doing practice reviews (not just here but from any site) genuinely curious?

Advertisement
Advertisement
From Practice reviews seems like Damari, DPJ and Jadais are playing pretty good and there have been examples of their play.

But with all the safeties its a lot of "they have the right tools, they look good" but no concrete evidence of them playing well or making plays. (except for Zaquan)

Also how come there is no mention of DL while doing practice reviews (not just here but from any site) genuinely curious?
Donno said that O-line and D-line were on the other end of the field away from the media so it hard to get a good look at whose doing well and winning reps

Advertisement

Peter Ariz provided his thoughts from Tuesday’s practice on the CanesInSight Daily Podcast. Below are some of his observations on the standouts:

On Markel Bell: What stood out to me are his proportions. You're talking about a guy who's 6’8, 6’9. In my experience as an agent dealing with offensive linemen (Peter represented first rounder Tytus Howard, among others) and just understanding how that position is scouted, those tall guys usually have disproportionately skinny legs. That's not the case with Markel Bell. Yes, he's 6’9. But you're talking about a guy who does not have small legs whatsoever. Interestingly enough, for as big as he is, he has a frame where you can still add some good weight.

Obviously, it's a loaded offensive line. So for him to just walk in and be a starter right off the bat may be a tough proposition. But we understand that you need depth across that line. Markel Bell is a guy that, by mid season at the very least, should be ready to see some meaningful snaps.

On Jaden Harris: In individual work, Jaden Harris is someone who stands out. He looks very fluid in his movement, good size, has some good weight on him. Coach Guidry is high on him.

On Markeith Williams: He’s still lean. I don't think you can ever expect him to be a thumper, but he’s another guy who looks very fluid in these drills and in coverage. He has the look in terms of the range, the ability to get sideline to sideline, cover a lot of ground out there, and really be a free safety-type in this defense.

On Zaquan Patterson: From what I saw, he’s the only defensive back out there who does not have any oven mitts on (the other DBs are wearing mitts to avoid holding). We understand he's a five-star kid, but character-wise, work ethic, the staff has been very excited about what they've gotten early on with him.

On JoJo Trader: He had a really nice block on Demetrius Freeney. They were working on screen plays and a lot of the coaches got excited about JoJo's block. For a freshman, you're talking about someone who is physical already and not afraid of any competition. That's gonna get him on the field, on top of his ability as a pass catcher.

On Jadais Richard: I mentioned the other day how he stands out from a length standpoint and with his twitchiness. But man, he had a couple really good reps today. He had one in particular against JoJo Trader up the sideline. He was just smothering Trader with physicality, not giving him any room to work. He had another rep against Ny Carr- in-breaking route, physical, giving him no space to work. No flag was thrown, either.

Jadais Richard, with his length, it's a lot for some of these receivers to deal with. He was a standout today in the one-on-ones.

On Ny Carr: He had a really nice one-handed reception. It was over his shoulder, Willie Mays-style. I believe it was Reese Poffenbarger who laid it in a bucket for him over the top. Myles Mooyoung, the talented walk-on DB from Chicago, had tight coverage. It was a beautiful throw and Ny Carr was so smooth on the reception. That one got people going.

On Elijah Arroyo: Elijah Arroyo shook Jaden Harris and made a really nice one-handed grab. Jaden Harris initially was in good position but Arroyo put a shimmy shake on him and broke out to the corner. It was a nasty route.

On Ray Ray Joseph: He had a nice vertical route on Markeith Williams. There was a little shove and offensive pass interference was called. It was a nice battle. Markeith was in a good spot. Ray Ray did push off a little bit. I think in a game it goes either way.

On Riley Williams: Maybe the rep of the day was Riley Williams against Zaquan Patterson. There was a holding called on Zaquan Patterson. Riley Williams fought through contact and made the catch going out towards the sideline where some of us reporters were standing. Riley, with a smile on his face, got right in Patterson's face and basically said, “You're holding me, and I still caught it.” They had a good back and forth. It was all just competitive nature between them.

Riley Williams, man, he’s really asserting himself as a guy who can be a physical presence. He's not afraid to compete and stick his nose in there. Awesome rep between two physically talented young players.
Is that the real beginning and end of the "quote",,,I bet it isn't....

Advertisement
Back