Pete: How Good is Dixon?

Advertisement
Clearly, the boards are going to erupt one way or another at 3 pm. But how good of a prospect is Dixon, in your opinion? If Coley is a 5-star kid, what is Dixon, a 4 star, a 4.5 star? Watching his video, dude reminds me of Antonio Brown, from the Steelers. Good hands. Runs nice routes. Good, not amazing, speed. Good, not great, short area burst.

I don't buy the whole "it's ok to miss on Coveted Recruit X because recruits at his position grow on trees." People would have said that about Coley, and look what we would have missed out on had he gone elsewhere. That rational only applies when we're talking about someone who is not special, ie, not Cook, or Mathew Thomas, etc.

So, is Dixon special, or not?

It depends on whether he commits to us or OSU.

Kid sucks. Golden stopped recruiting him.

Clearly, the boards are going to erupt one way or another at 3 pm. But how good of a prospect is Dixon, in your opinion? If Coley is a 5-star kid, what is Dixon, a 4 star, a 4.5 star? Watching his video, dude reminds me of Antonio Brown, from the Steelers. Good hands. Runs nice routes. Good, not amazing, speed. Good, not great, short area burst.

I don't buy the whole "it's ok to miss on Coveted Recruit X because recruits at his position grow on trees." People would have said that about Coley, and look what we would have missed out on had he gone elsewhere. That rational only applies when we're talking about someone who is not special, ie, not Cook, or Mathew Thomas, etc.

So, is Dixon special, or not?

I live about a mile away from Dwyer and I've watched alot of his games through the years. Dixon is a great athlete. He's already built like a college player and has elite distance speed (meaning not many HS DBs are going to keep up with him on a Seam route,etc). He was an ok, short area burst. Here is my issue with him, he wasn't the best receiver on his team! He was their deep threat, but Saffold and Stevens were more complete receivers. They ran better routes, had a much better short area burst. I think he'd be a better DB at the next level. I'd label him as a 4 Star athlete. He's a great kid to bring in, but I'd much rather have Travis Rudolph at WR.

And there you have it from someone that has actually watched the kid play a decent amount.

Kid went from half way down our board, to the best WR that ever lived after Lane and Rudolph bailed out. He's clearly a good athlete and a good WR, and someone we would have liked, but he's not a cant miss phenom. I have heard from multiple people that watched him play exactly this. That he wasnt even the best WR on his team.

Life will go on without Johnnie Dixon. He wasnt a "key" to this class. I would much rather have Rudolph of the Fla receivers, and honestly I would much rather Griffin qualify, than to have any of these guys.

We have a decent WR class now. Its a B to a B-. I personally dont think Dixon would have made it an A.

Dixon has taken on amazing superhero powers as the season has worn on. People here pumped the guy up as the Greatest thing since cable TV when it looked like he would come here, but objectively, he hasnt "wowed" most people that have watched him. Certainly not the way a Dalvin Cook, or Coley has wowed people.

There are no elite WR's in the state of Florida for this class imo.

Rudolph is the best WR/ATH and has the most upside.
Lane is OK but nothing he does impresses me.
Dixon is Dorsett without the speed.

THIS +2.

None of this crop of Wrs is "elite" IMO. Not like the Sammy Watkins, Stacey Coley type "elite" players.

To me, Rudolph is a solid 4 star kid, not a 5 star type. And then you have Lane, who is a mid range 4 star kid with upside, and Dixon, who from everything Ive read and seen, seems like a lower 4 star kid. He's not "elite", none of this years Florida WRs are.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back