Perspective on going from competitive to Elite: Clemson's Rise to Dominance

Advertisement
More like an op-ed for giving any coach 3 or so years cause only programs who have been recruiting at an elite level for years can go from chump to champ in one season. Much easier to go the other way though as LSU has so clearly demonstrated this season.
Manny the DC didn't recruit worth a jack for Maany he HC?????

One sign of a quality HC is performance in Bowl games. Being able to get your team ready to play and pick up a quality win. Dabo does that every year. Butch did the same thing for us when he was here. Manny needs to prove he can do that or he will be fired sooner than later,

What if a new DC wants his own staff, will Mandy cut loose Banda?
New coordinators are smart when retaining any Current staff members. If he thinks one or two deserve to stay around they will make that decision. I hope they gut the entire staff though (after signing day of course)

More like an op-ed for giving any coach 3 or so years cause only programs who have been recruiting at an elite level for years can go from chump to champ in one season. Much easier to go the other way though as LSU has so clearly demonstrated this season.
I agree; I mentioned before that I use to believe a coach needs at least 5 yrs, but that’s no longer the case, not in today’s climate of CFB. You can usually tell what u have in a coach by yr 3, no later than yr 4. The top coaches in the game either today or who have moved on to the NFL since the 2000’s have won 10+ games w/in their 3rd yr which coincides that coaches 1st recruiting class becoming upper classmen.

However, Manny has been here for 5 yrs now. The entire defense has been his since 2016, and the entire roster since 2019. He gets no pass, past his 3rd yr as a HC imo. He can’t talk about cultural issues or locker room issues when legit it is his locker room, not something he inherited.

Advertisement
The point of the post wasn't necessarily to demonstrate how we should try to build this program back up.

I was merely trying to show that Clemson didn't just magically snap their fingers and become a national recruiting powerhouse competing for championships every season. Their road to the top was far from linear and had some major setbacks and baffling performances well into Dabo's tenure.
I hear you. But when you've got an elite bag game like Dabo does, it's 10x easier to recover from the mistakes. Guys don't jump ship at the first sign of trouble, because you didn't have to pull on the heart strings to get them to commit in the 1st place. When it was always a straight business decision, a couple losses don't have you looking for another place.

Wait a minute, you're telling me Dabo wasn't instantly the one of the elite coaches in college football? I'll bet no one wanted him fired either.

Manny needs a few more changes, has to hold this season together. I don't care if they are all 2 point wins, win 10 and keep the recruiting going. Then he needs to take a real hard look at the defensive side of the field.

I say this not because I really care about Manny. I want him to succeed because we can't keep changing coaches every 3 years or we are never going to be back.

I also think a huge part of Clemson's success is having an elite defensive coordinator who inexplicably is not interested in being anything more than a DC. You don't really see it that often.

Only thing would add is bigger emphasis on Clemson spending BIG money on bringing in top Coordinators to elevate clemson, before that 10 win season they bought in Chad Morris to adopt spread early on and reap benefit of that (as many teams were still pro style bro) and then after that 70 point WVU game kevin steele was fired and they bought in Venables who has had the best defense in last 5 years.. They have had very little staff turnover even as a championship winning squad.

Exactly. Biggest piece of the puzzle wasn't even acknowledged in that original post—the timing of lifer like Venables parting ways with Oklahoma—cannot be understated.

Bob Stoops brought brother Mike back from a failed stint as head coach at Arizona, which made Venables the odd man out—where Clemson snatched him up.

Toss in the fact that Venables is a modern day Bud Foster, with ZERO desire to be a head coach—and Dabo couldn't have gotten luckier with that pick-up.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back