Per the Herald, Manny's Response to Kids Looking to Leave SoFlo

He just “gets it” more than anyone else we could’ve ever hoped for. Does that mean he’ll build a winning program? Will he outscheme other good coaches? We don’t know. But for decades, we’ve said that this place was different. “It’s a Canes thing, and you would not understand.” Well, there’s not a soul on earth who understands this more than Manny. I’m excited to see how this turns out.

You're not wrong, but intensity and athleticism will beat scheme the vast majority of the time. The only one of our HC's with a ring that was an absolutely elite coach was Jimmy. Schnelly was a program builder but not necessarily a spectacular coach.

Advertisement
I dont know Diaz's eye for talent but I would love to see a list to see if he has an eye for talent.
Doesn’t matter until he’s the HC. HC gets all the blame and all the credit because it’s his program and his direction. We will see soon enough.

Evaluation is more important than selling down here. Butch was the best evaluator EVER, but he lost a ton of head to head battles. He even lost a kid to Louisiana Tech (I think his name was Randle). In the end, he built the best roster ever on his evaluation skills much more than his sales skills.

You're not wrong, but intensity and athleticism will beat scheme the vast majority of the time. The only one of our HC's with a ring that was an absolutely elite coach was Jimmy. Schnelly was a program builder but not necessarily a spectacular coach.
Jimmy was not an elite x and o guy at all. He was a leader/motivator/evaluator.

Coral Gables is vastly different than the area around STA or Chaminade, let alone Overtown or Liberty City. These kids see that. They have to see that.
In fairness, Chaminade is in a nice neighborhood. Hollywood hills may not be the Gables but it's really nice.

Advertisement
Doesn’t matter until he’s the HC. HC gets all the blame and all the credit because it’s his program and his direction. We will see soon enough.

Evaluation is more important than selling down here. Butch was the best evaluator EVER, but he lost a ton of head to head battles. He even lost a kid to Louisiana Tech (I think his name was Randle). In the end, he built the best roster ever on his evaluation skills much more than his sales skills.
your right some guys like Jimbo didnt do a fuqin thing until they took charge so we will find out

I am skeptical on his eye for talent. It sure isnt proven. But that is why I keep coming back to process. He can be a great recruiter if he has the roght focus, the right priorities, the right process, and listens to the right people. O do think he understands the type of kids we need for our schemes, also. So we can reduce the bad fit takes that have plagued us hopefully. Whether he can spot an Edge or Reed, who knows. Probably not. But it isn’t rocket science. We don’t need a ‘seer.’ We need a disciplined manager.
To me his way is similar to when Jimbo took over FSU it was very very similar

Advertisement
To me his way is similar to when Jimbo took over FSU it was very very similar
I dont recall the ins and outs of jimbos recruiting. I think jimbo is a very good recruiter as far as selling, amd absolutely knew to focus on the most athletic kids everywhere. I have less insight into his evals and process. But if manny follows the plus athlete model with kids who fit our scheme, and prioritizes the roster spots riht, and picks kids who will work hard, we’ll be fine.

I dont recall the ins and outs of jimbos recruiting. I think jimbo is a very good recruiter as far as selling, amd absolutely knew to focus on the most athletic kids everywhere. I have less insight into his evals and process. But if manny follows the plus athlete model with kids who fit our scheme, and prioritizes the roster spots riht, and picks kids who will work hard, we’ll be fine.
I remember with him when he took over FSU started recruiting on another level and it was weird cause when he was on staff it wasnt like that. I dont know if MD will do that but time will tell, and its possible that can happen because it happened with someone before (fsu) from a failed staff.

I agree with you. I think it’s two fold. There is on field and off field. Ultimately you have win on the field. But to get to that point consistently you have to win off the field.

Everything is about perception in college sports and the issue with Miami has been that we had 3 neutered coaches here. Without a counter to negative recruting, their attitudes and then on field product reinforced that perception.

Great news is that Manny knows this and is fighting to change that perception. Aggressively countering the negative pitches with his own negative pitch. Not pretending like it doesnt exist.

Biggest thing is, you can’t win a fight you don’t know your in. At least Manny knows that he’s in a fight.
This’s all day.
Years and years of coaches talking mad sht to the local kids parents and coaches. Using any little thing from attendance to the stadium being off campus to negatively recruit.
We won 5 and no one cared that we would sit barely 40 k in an off campus stadium when the FAMUs of the world would come to play and Recruits couldn’t wait to get an offer. But they keep coming and talking that sht about it. That narrative is getting old and Manny is fighting back.

Then the fans of these teams that live out there have the balls to talk bad about the city where he was raised and where his own father was mayor. Not to mention the hipocracy of those fans to still call our players thugs despite having worse criminal scandals than anyone ever had at UM.
He actually sounds ****ed and seems to be echoing what Don Chaney Jr is saying “Make them Pay for what you said about UM”.

Last edited:
I'm not sure of your question. I lived on Ludlam which is in S. Miami. I took Blue Rd to cross Red Rd.
You left out Blue Road going East to get to Red Road. Enough with the Google Maps.

Advertisement
I like that Manny said it but we all know why the SF Bagaloons flock to KKK country.

Win and we’ll get some more to stay home but always expect the handful to make business decisions. It’s the SF culture.

This right here is what I see a lot of you guys not understand. We will never lock up all the top rated guys. In fact even in our heyday a lot times THE top ranked guy went elsewhere, we would get a lot of the really good ones to stay but we never locked up South florida studs. First off just don’t have the room to.

This right here is what I see a lot of you guys not understand. We will never lock up all the top rated guys. In fact even in our heyday a lot times THE top ranked guy went elsewhere, we would get a lot of the really good ones to stay but we never locked up South florida studs. First off just don’t have the room to.

Exactly. It's not possible to get all of them. But you want to get a decent share and you want to do a thorough job evaluating them.

No need to over-interpret the rhetoric. We can do a LOT better than we have been doing. What we need to do to be successful is keep most of the best local kids home. Not all. No one has said it was ever all of them.

Advertisement
No need to over-interpret the rhetoric. We can do a LOT better than we have been doing. What we need to do to be successful is keep most of the best local kids home. Not all. No one has said it was ever all of them.
It’s not about over interpret, but to try and give some historical perspective. We never “locked down” South Florida. But in our prime what we did was evaluate and target the right guys for our program and get the right south Florida guys. And even then no matter what you don’t hit on every prospect. I personally believe if you hit on 60% of your recruits you have a consistent top 10 program

It’s not about over interpret, but to try and give some historical perspective. We never “locked down” South Florida. But in our prime what we did was evaluate and target the right guys for our program and get the right south Florida guys. And even then no matter what you don’t hit on every prospect. I personally believe if you hit on 60% of your recruits you have a consistent top 10 program
Youre still caught up in rhetoric. Maybe the definition of ‘locked down’ means get most of the best kids. What then?

Again, no one has said we ever got eveyone, so it’s irrelevant.

Yes, we meed to evaluate and target the right guys. We also need to get the guys we target, or most of them. Getting blown out locally is not acceptable.

I think Manny realized the need to address the recruiting evaluation process with the recent changing of the guard in the recruiting department. Let’s hope as he said that everyone is now on the same page, from S&C, to position coaches, to recruiting, all are in sync and beating from the same drum. If that happens, or when it does I should say; Miami will be on the cusp of greatness again.

Advertisement
Back