Per the Herald, Manny's Response to Kids Looking to Leave SoFlo

Actually, access to local talent does make your evaluation easier. Which is a good reason for any program (but especially us) to recruit locally. It's generally much easier to evaluate a kid that plays 10-20 miles away than it is to evaluate a kid 1000 miles away. A kid way across the country, you have to mostly go on tape and word of mouth and ratings. A kid in the area, you can see play on a regular basis.

That said, we're not going to stop recruiting nationally. It's not an one-or-the-other matter. We'll hit So Florida hard like we always do and we'll look around the country for needs we can't fill at home.
You misinterpreted my comment and missed the point.

Evaluation of local talent, all else equal, should almost always be easier than evaluation to far away talent. But that isn’t the issue. The question is whether the amount of local talent makes (local) evals less important or more important - harder or easier in effect. This has been a long running back and forth around these sites. My point has been that the number of kids to consider locally requires resources and great evals to get right, but is also the reason we should focus locally and chase national kids only when they are easy takes (save a couple positions like QB and P/K where local recruiting isn’t usually sufficient).

Manny’s comments address this topic, which is why I quoted them. And I surely didn’t claim it’s an all or nothing issue. The important debate is about relative focus and resources.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The head sht talker in charge!!!!
It is what it fcking is. Man ain’t telling no lies.
Best quote from a head coach in forever.
It’s friday too!! Ohh man!! What y’all sippin and smokin on??!!
Sunset sherbet & black label. Hello!

I just dont agree with the going against the star system when he says we have to recruit whats best for UM, thats the only thing I dont like about this article. The stars like a Stevenson are the right ratings and u have to recruit them as such (which we did) I get we have to find hidden gems but u have to hit on all your hidden gems. U have to have a superior eye for talent which alot of coaches dont have, hopefully we finish with a top 5 class regardless of record cause thats what it will take to be the UM we all know from the past.
He is 100.0% correct.

The ‘star system’ is for fans to discuss recruits. It’s in no respect whatever, at all, in any way, a form of evaluations for staffs. Coker evaluated based on websites, and in 2004 put together a class so statistically improbable it still amazes me. A top 3 class with over 30 kids and only one - 1! - good player. The systematic bias involved is overwhelming. He didn’t evaluate and recruited kids other staffs wanted less than the rating services appreciated.

Do not misunderstand the fan site ratings. They are NOT a substitute for staff evals. The circular error involved if they are used that way is infinite. If Manny can’t evaluate, he’ll fail. But if he tries to recruit off fan site lists, he will fail faster.

In Miami's case, SoFla is loaded with studs (highly rated and unrated) BUT it's all about finding the right talent to get them on the roster.. CMD knows what he's up against recruiting his backyard BUT he just have to recruit the kid's and make TNM the place the locals want to be..

Advertisement
Actually, access to local talent does make your evaluation easier. Which is a good reason for any program (but especially us) to recruit locally. It's generally much easier to evaluate a kid that plays 10-20 miles away than it is to evaluate a kid 1000 miles away. A kid way across the country, you have to mostly go on tape and word of mouth and ratings. A kid in the area, you can see play on a regular basis.

That said, we're not going to stop recruiting nationally. It's not an one-or-the-other matter. We'll hit So Florida hard like we always do and we'll look around the country for needs we can't fill at home.
With certain positions (e.g. DT and OL), you'll very infrequently get the quality players that The U needs to become world class!!

The more important comments in that piece were his recruiting intentions, not his pitch.

Hello EVALUATIONS. I have been pointing at this for ages. Access to local talent makes evals more important, not easier. More kids, more choices, same number of spots.

Hello LOCAL FOCUS. I’m sure all the fans who are desperate for us to flip off local kids and increase our focus on Canada and Iran will be devastated by Diaz’s comments. He seems clear that winning local recruiting battles is priority 1.
As it should be.

Advertisement
Great vernacular too. None of this coach speak. This is exactly how we describe Gainesville or Tuscaloosa.

No retired nfl player says I’m thinking of retiring to Gainesville.

I just said the same elsewhere. They are both podunk, though IMO Tally is more of a ****hole.

What a dump that place is.

In Miami's case, SoFla is loaded with studs (highly rated and unrated) BUT it's all about finding the right talent to get them on the roster.. CMD knows what he's up against recruiting his backyard BUT he just have to recruit the kid's and make TNM the place the locals want to be..

Nobody seems to talk enough about our real advantage, which is the ability to be on guys early and regularly. Our coaches can drive to be at HS games in the best recruiting area in America. They can go to practices, talk to people, way, way more than anyone can compete with. Even Saban and his go-go-gadget copter can't compete with that.

Get on everyone early, get the evals right, and we're good.

Advertisement
I just dont agree with the going against the star system when he says we have to recruit whats best for UM, thats the only thing I dont like about this article. The stars like a Stevenson are the right ratings and u have to recruit them as such (which we did) I get we have to find hidden gems but u have to hit on all your hidden gems. U have to have a superior eye for talent which alot of coaches dont have, hopefully we finish with a top 5 class regardless of record cause thats what it will take to be the UM we all know from the past.

He’s not talking about the Stevenson’s of world. He’s talking kids that might be low 4 star/high 3 star kids. Or kids that aren’t rated yet.

Talk is cheap, and I rarely, if ever, put a 2nd thought into anything a coach says.

But holy **** was that music to my ears.

This coupled with the stunt he pulled at the FSU camp... good lord. This man is going to be bold as all **** and the entire team is going to follow suit. I remember seeing clips of him during games talking to his players and **** did I want to suit up.

He even said it as an HC, we're going to be bold and brash. It's what Miami is. I'm excited. People are going to want to play hard for Diaz and he's proven that much already.

Coral Gables is vastly different than the area around STA or Chaminade, let alone Overtown or Liberty City. These kids see that. They have to see that.

It’s a **** poor excuse. Ain’t chit popping in Tuscaloosa. Ain’t chit popping in Knoxville. Ain’t chit popping in Oxford. Ain’t chit popping in Clemson. It’s bull chit. These mofos can give two fcks about these kids and social media has proved it. I’m not talking about talking trash; I’m talking about them calling them racial slurs. It’s a ridiculous

Advertisement
It has to be sold, and he’s selling.

He’s right, too. Why go to the panhandle for 4 years if you dnt hve to?

There is absolutely nothing special about North Florida in general. I don't understand why kids who want to "get away and experience something different" chose to go to Gainesville or Tallahassee. If that's your method of thinking go to UW, USC, Texas, etc.... but North Florida?

He is 100.0% correct.

The ‘star system’ is for fans to discuss recruits. It’s in no respect whatever, at all, in any way, a form of evaluations for staffs. Coker evaluated based on websites, and in 2004 put together a class so statistically improbable it still amazes me. A top 3 class with over 30 kids and only one - 1! - good player. The systematic bias involved is overwhelming. He didn’t evaluate and recruited kids other staffs wanted less than the rating services appreciated.

Do not misunderstand the fan site ratings. They are NOT a substitute for staff evals. The circular error involved if they are used that way is infinite. If Manny can’t evaluate, he’ll fail. But if he tries to recruit off fan site lists, he will fail faster.
Few teams can evaluate few coaches can evaluate.

Advertisement
Back