Per the Herald, Manny's Response to Kids Looking to Leave SoFlo

I just dont agree with the going against the star system when he says we have to recruit whats best for UM, thats the only thing I dont like about this article. The stars like a Stevenson are the right ratings and u have to recruit them as such (which we did) I get we have to find hidden gems but u have to hit on all your hidden gems. U have to have a superior eye for talent which alot of coaches dont have, hopefully we finish with a top 5 class regardless of record cause thats what it will take to be the UM we all know from the past.

That other thread about talent level above 50% blue chip is good and glad Richt and Manny got us to that level, but we got to start locking down those local 5 stars. Just for example the two bullies who been taking oUr lunch money the last three years (Bama, Ga) their rosters sitting at 90% blue chip and many those Fla guys that should be wearing Canes gear. Maybe Manny got it figured out with what he saying and keep that talent home to compete with the big 4-5 guys.

Advertisement
That other thread about talent level above 50% blue chip is good and glad Richt and Manny got us to that level, but we got to start locking down those local 5 stars. Just for example the two bullies who been taking oUr lunch money the last three years (Bama, Ga) their rosters sitting at 90% blue chip and many those Fla guys that should be wearing Canes gear. Maybe Manny got it figured out with what he saying and keep that talent home to compete with the big 4-5 guys.
I have little confidence that he will beat out those two programs. If he does things will change but i have to see it to believe it

The more important comments in that piece were his recruiting intentions, not his pitch.

Hello EVALUATIONS. I have been pointing at this for ages. Access to local talent makes evals more important, not easier. More kids, more choices, same number of spots.

Hello LOCAL FOCUS. I’m sure all the fans who are desperate for us to flip off local kids and increase our focus on Canada and Iran will be devastated by Diaz’s comments. He seems clear that winning local recruiting battles is priority 1.

Do you believe you're the only one who understands the importance of evaluations?
Because your post makes it seem that way.

Changing the perception about coming to the U obviously won't happen overnight. Winning will help in the short term, but Manny understands the unique challenges associated with recruiting SoFlo and is in attack mode rather than waiting for things to happen.

There is absolutely nothing special about North Florida in general. I don't understand why kids who want to "get away and experience something different" chose to go to Gainesville or Tallahassee. If that's your method of thinking go to UW, USC, Texas, etc.... but North Florida?
“Experience something different” means having piles of cash and new cars. Has nothing to do with location. These pimp mommies and their KKK groupies would play on the surface of the sun if the bags were right.

Advertisement
the-university-of-alabama-aerial-shot.jpg

You guys are crazy. Tuscaloosa looks really fun.

This coupled with the stunt he pulled at the FSU camp... good lord. This man is going to be bold as all **** and the entire team is going to follow suit. I remember seeing clips of him during games talking to his players and **** did I want to suit up.

He even said it as an HC, we're going to be bold and brash. It's what Miami is. I'm excited. People are going to want to play hard for Diaz and he's proven that much already.

He just “gets it” more than anyone else we could’ve ever hoped for. Does that mean he’ll build a winning program? Will he outscheme other good coaches? We don’t know. But for decades, we’ve said that this place was different. “It’s a Canes thing, and you would not understand.” Well, there’s not a soul on earth who understands this more than Manny. I’m excited to see how this turns out.

...."Podunk college town" belongs in the Trash Talk Pantheon....Diaz is a scorched earth kind of dude....He's most definitely not bowing and groveling in servile submissiveness to the Alabamas and Georgias of the college football world....Much appreciated and quite enjoyable departure from the Coral Gables status quo....
THIS, ALL DAY!

He just “gets it” more than anyone else we could’ve ever hoped for. Does that mean he’ll build a winning program? Will he outscheme other good coaches? We don’t know. But for decades, we’ve said that this place was different. “It’s a Canes thing, and you would not understand.” Well, there’s not a soul on earth who understands this more than Manny. I’m excited to see how this turns out.

I agree with you. I think it’s two fold. There is on field and off field. Ultimately you have win on the field. But to get to that point consistently you have to win off the field.

Everything is about perception in college sports and the issue with Miami has been that we had 3 neutered coaches here. Without a counter to negative recruting, their attitudes and then on field product reinforced that perception.

Great news is that Manny knows this and is fighting to change that perception. Aggressively countering the negative pitches with his own negative pitch. Not pretending like it doesnt exist.

Biggest thing is, you can’t win a fight you don’t know your in. At least Manny knows that he’s in a fight.

Advertisement
Do you believe you're the only one who understands the importance of evaluations?
Because your post makes it seem that way.
You seem to have sand in your ******. I didnt say what you claim, and if it ‘seems’ that way to you, maybe you’re projecting. The reality is the relative importance of evaluations relative to rankings and selling skills have been long standing debate topics on Miami recruiting boards. Likewise, the relative importance of local focus vs. chasing righly rated kids wherever. If you think what I say is so obvious that all should agree, I look forward to seeing all your comments to the same effect every time some yahoo claims we should chase national kids because they’re butthurt over local kids, or claims that recruiting is easy in Miami. Or maybe you disagree and would prefer we recruit another generation of ryhan andersons and josh holmes?

Few teams can evaluate few coaches can evaluate.
If so then the rankings are certainly NOT helpful, because they are largely a function of whoch teams and coaches are recruiting a kid.

Evaluation isn’t that hard, either. It may be hard to have rare Butch type skills, but basic table stakes evaluations is mostly effective data collection, process management and decision-making. Start with a clear sense of your needs, and what you are looking for at different positions. We know our style of play, our roster needs, our culture. Have an informed view on physical development potential, on attitude and work ethic and cultural fit. Have an effective process to assess and prioritize, and be prepared to rethink your conclusions as new data comes in, because high school kids can change a lot over a couple years. And have a view on what data matters. Camps and measurables vs. game film vs. viewing live. Whose opinions matter? Local coaches? Recruiting experts?

Being good at evaluations means efficient and effective and avoiding obvious mistakes like brandon loftus, larry hope and d’mauri jones. Do that and your roster will have fewer holes and your competition and depth will be a lot better. It doesnt require you to be able to assemble a butch type team. That is a different set of skills.

Advertisement
You seem to have sand in your ******. I didnt say what you claim, and if it ‘seems’ that way to you, maybe you’re projecting. The reality is the relative importance of evaluations relative to rankings and selling skills have been long standing debate topics on Miami recruiting boards. Likewise, the relative importance of local focus vs. chasing righly rated kids wherever. If you think what I say is so obvious that all should agree, I look forward to seeing all your comments to the same effect every time some yahoo claims we should chase national kids because they’re butthurt over local kids, or claims that recruiting is easy in Miami. Or maybe you disagree and would prefer we recruit another generation of ryhan andersons and josh holmes?

My intention was not to evoke an emotional response with my question.
That's what it was. A question. No projecting, no assumption, no claims.
Even went as far as to explain it's just how I took your original post.
I've been on these boards as long as you and am very aware of each "debate" that goes on year after year.
For the record, I typically agree with your takes.

My intention was not to evoke an emotional response with my question.
That's what it was. A question. No projecting, no assumption, no claims.
Even went as far as to explain it's just how I took your original post.
I've been on these boards as long as you and am very aware of each "debate" that goes on year after year.
For the record, I typically agree with your takes.
You said I made it seem like I am the ‘only one’ who understands the importance of evaluations. I surely didn’t say that. At the same time, plenty of people on these sites disagree about how important evaluations are. And you even know claim to know this. So why ask what you asked?

Advertisement
Reporting! Manny for hitting nail squarely on the head with this Podunk talk.
Love the fact that he lived that life at FSU. Implicit in this talk is Tallahassee, Austin and ole miss ain’t sht.
U can’t talk that way if u never left Miami. You’ll be accused of not “getting it”.

If so then the rankings are certainly NOT helpful, because they are largely a function of whoch teams and coaches are recruiting a kid.

Evaluation isn’t that hard, either. It may be hard to have rare Butch type skills, but basic table stakes evaluations is mostly effective data collection, process management and decision-making. Start with a clear sense of your needs, and what you are looking for at different positions. We know our style of play, our roster needs, our culture. Have an informed view on physical development potential, on attitude and work ethic and cultural fit. Have an effective process to assess and prioritize, and be prepared to rethink your conclusions as new data comes in, because high school kids can change a lot over a couple years. And have a view on what data matters. Camps and measurables vs. game film vs. viewing live. Whose opinions matter? Local coaches? Recruiting experts?

Being good at evaluations means efficient and effective and avoiding obvious mistakes like brandon loftus, larry hope and d’mauri jones. Do that and your roster will have fewer holes and your competition and depth will be a lot better. It doesnt require you to be able to assemble a butch type team. That is a different set of skills.
I dont know Diaz's eye for talent but I would love to see a list to see if he has an eye for talent.

I dont know Diaz's eye for talent but I would love to see a list to see if he has an eye for talent.
I am skeptical on his eye for talent. It sure isnt proven. But that is why I keep coming back to process. He can be a great recruiter if he has the roght focus, the right priorities, the right process, and listens to the right people. O do think he understands the type of kids we need for our schemes, also. So we can reduce the bad fit takes that have plagued us hopefully. Whether he can spot an Edge or Reed, who knows. Probably not. But it isn’t rocket science. We don’t need a ‘seer.’ We need a disciplined manager.

Advertisement
Back