People really thought Melvin Gordon was better than Duke?

Duke J is still being called an AVG back after breaking a 39 yard run including a stiff to Thomas to cap it off...TODAY lmao

Advertisement
That film confirms how much better Duke was under Jedd Fisch than James Coley. Fisch genuinely knew how to use him and set him up for optimal success

To be fair, San Diego has one of the worst run blocking lines I've ever seen. Gordon is actually leading the team in ypc.

To be fair, San Diego has one of the worst run blocking lines I've ever seen. Gordon is actually leading the team in ypc.

Did you fail to read the part where it the poster talks about Donald Brown ripping off a 54yarder behind said terrible line?

While nearly getting a 100yards on 10 carries?

You got to give Duke credit as he has improved his protection of the football. What makes Duke better isn't his running as he is has less YPA than Gordon does but his ability to catch the ball and get yards. This is where I have an issue with Coleys offense. We recruit guys like Duke, and Yearby who aren't bulldozers and then run them like they are. I wish Duke wasn't playing for the Browns ..damnit!

Advertisement
never draft a Wisconsin RB. They are even worse than the PSU RBs.

But are they worse than Bama backs? I still feel like Bama backs are worse. They bust way too much. Lacy is the only legitimate guy.

Compare, Alabama-Richardson, Ingram, Lacy. Lacy stands out because he's in Green Bay. Wisconsin-Ball, Gordon, James White. I'd say both have been pretty terrible over the past few years.

But are they worse than Bama backs? I still feel like Bama backs are worse. They bust way too much. Lacy is the only legitimate guy.

Compare, Alabama-Richardson, Ingram, Lacy. Lacy stands out because he's in Green Bay. Wisconsin-Ball, Gordon, James White. I'd say both have been pretty terrible over the past few years.

Yes! But the difference is in the hype. The Bama guys are treated like the next best thing each time. The Wiscy guys don't get that same hype. So while both are bad, I think the Bama guys fail to achieve expectations much worse than the Wisconsin guys.

Advertisement

Yes! But the difference is in the hype. The Bama guys are treated like the next best thing each time. The Wiscy guys don't get that same hype. So while both are bad, I think the Bama guys fail to achieve expectations much worse than the Wisconsin guys.

Ball and Gordon were massively hyped up. Bama kids just have "more hype" cause its Bama in the SEC and Nick Saban, also helps being in the spotlight every other year while playing for a National Championship.

Ball and Gordon were massively hyped up. Bama kids just have "more hype" cause its Bama in the SEC and Nick Saban, also helps being in the spotlight every other year while playing for a National Championship.

Right. I understand why they receive more hype. Doesn't mean it's justified. And I dot think it beats the hype the Wisconsin kids got.

You got to give Duke credit as he has improved his protection of the football. What makes Duke better isn't his running as he is has less YPA than Gordon does but his ability to catch the ball and get yards. This is where I have an issue with Coleys offense. We recruit guys like Duke, and Yearby who aren't bulldozers and then run them like they are. I wish Duke wasn't playing for the Browns ..damnit!

Duke did alot of pass catching his Jr. year. his soph year they ran him into the ground tho. literally almost killed the kid.

Right. I understand why they receive more hype. Doesn't mean it's justified. And I dot think it beats the hype the Wisconsin kids got.

Not even remotely justified. Ingram won the Heisman, but he looked meh doing so. Richardson at least looked the part and seemed to have the ability at the college level. But man did he just tumble terribly. Wisky backs are products of the system. 400+ carries in a season and you'll put up stupid numbers ala Montee Ball and Ron Dayne back in the day. Which is why I laughed when Collins jumped ship to Arkansas. Dude could have signed his career away in that system. In the end I'd avoid both schools and looks at teams like Michigan State, Miami, Georgia, and honestly FSU.

Advertisement
There were people who were calling Duke mediocre, or a loser, as a means to excuse Al Golden, James Coley, and Mark D'Onofrio.

Honestly, that's when I really lost my mind on the Golden slurpers.

Feel bad for Duke playing in that **** show up in the Cleveland. He is much better than Gordon though he is close to a NFL record for most touches without a TD.

Advertisement
I've always thought if Duke played for Alabama he would've won the Heisman.

He may not have been elite, but he would've been featured, his skill set would've been used properly, and the other Bama backs that won it weren't elite either.

I've always thought if Duke played for Alabama he would've won the Heisman.

He may not have been elite, but he would've been featured, his skill set would've been used properly, and the other Bama backs that won it weren't elite either.

I know you didn't mean it as an insult...But I will still join to argue that he IS elite, at least in college.
-Broke Ottis Anderson's record for rushing yards, with 165 less attempts.
-Tied Willis McGahee record of 6 games straight with 100+ rushing yards.
-Owns the record for most All-Purpose Yards in a game, and that wasn't even against an FCS school (albeit it was Virginia)
-Was only 100 yards short of breaking the season record for rushing yards held by McGahee, who had 40 more carries.
-Was 1 game short of tieing Willis McGahee record for 10 games straight with a rushing TD.

Stats are stats, and records mean nothing to some people...but ain't no way you going to tell me a RB that had to play in Al Golden/James Coley garbage *** offense still manage to put his name on the top or near the top of **** near every single individual rushing record in RBU and say he ain't elite. He woulda raped Alabama's rushing records, especially at 30+ carries a game behind that steroids o-line.

Advertisement
Back