Pay them!!

Advertisement
Does anyone know the monetary value of a scholarship? Giving these kids free housing, food, tuition, travel to games, apparel, etc— it’s worth a lot.

If you don’t like the current arrangement, decline the free ride. No one is forcing you to play college football. It is a voluntary system. They can take their free ride and use it to get into a college most of these kids would never have a chance at attending, all while auditioning for a chance to make millions in the NFL, or they can stay living in a single room with six siblings on the mattress on the floor.

Their choice.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the monetary value of a scholarship? Giving these kids free housing, food, a degree, travel to games, apparel, etc— it’s worth a lot.

If you don’t like the current arrangement, decline the free ride. No one is forcing you to play college football. It is a voluntary system. They can take your free ride and use it to get into a college most of these kids would never have a chance at attending, all while auditioning for a chance to make millions in the NFL, or they can stay living in a single room with six siblings on the mattress on the floor.

Their choice.
What about the billions the NCAA makes off those same players

Does anyone know the monetary value of a scholarship? Giving these kids free housing, food, a degree, travel to games, apparel, etc— it’s worth a lot.

If you don’t like the current arrangement, decline the free ride. No one is forcing you to play college football. It is a voluntary system. They can take your free ride and use it to get into a college most of these kids would never have a chance at attending, all while auditioning for a chance to make millions in the NFL, or they can stay living in a single room with six siblings on the mattress on the floor.

Their choice.

Looks like tuition is about $71-74k/year at UM . If you add in the food and travel and apparel, it's literally gotta be astronomical...
Of course that is at a private school. But even at public schools it is a lot.

If the kids feel the arrangement is unfair they are not forced to sign a scholarship.

But, that aside, what about the billions of dollars earned by NFL players as a result of the chance to showcase your ability to scouts for free for 3-4 years in NCAA football? Or the chance to earn a degree for free?

Advertisement
If the kids feel the arrangement is unfair they are not forced to sign a scholarship.

But, that aside, what about the billions of dollars earned by NFL players as a result of the chance to showcase your ability to scouts for free for 3-4 years in NCAA football? Or the chance to earn a degree for free?
Without these players the NCAA wouldn’t have all that money. The main reason why they make billions is because of these players. So why not pay those players because the NFL does.

Their choice.
Best post of the year

Without these players the NCAA wouldn’t have all that money. The main reason why they make billions is because of these players. So why not pay those players because the NFL does.
I would watch college football if you took the top 500 recruits out of every single recruiting class. Just like I watch non revenue sports, with no regard to the individual players. The school brand, the tradition, the rivalry makes the fans. They individually have next to zero impact on my contribution to the profit margin of the NCAA. I would watch Miami vs FSU if it was 100% non scholarship club football.

The compensation is very good, especially those that go to a private school. You get free room and board, an education, and an opportunity to showcase your talent to make millions at the next level. As has been mentioned, if the deal doesn't seem good to the students, nobody is forcing them to take it. They could just get straight a's and take on college loans like the rest of us to go to the school of their choice.

Advertisement
What about it? Please fill me in on how many major corporations take part in profit sharing with the people who work everyday to make them those profits. In any given year those kids are given a **** of alot more in monetary value than the average person gets paid that's for **** sure.

Advertisement
I guess very few of you guys actually believe in free markets.

Instead of letting the kids get paid what the free market believes they are worth, most of you are advocating for a system in which employers collude to distort (and in the cases of elite athletes, suppress) wages.

"But they get free education, healthcare, housing, and food!" Must be a lot of Fidel fans in this thread.

Advertisement
The only thing I've always had a bit of an issue w/ is kids not being able to make a little change off signed memorabilia that the school sells for a profit. Other than that, they are afforded opportunities many would kill for.

Last edited:
I have no idea how it works at the U, but a few college programs I am familiar with, the players get a pretty good stipend check. Almost a grand per month. Legal so no bagman comments. I get all that. Does anyone know if oUr players receive a monthly check?

It seems people think the NCAA keeps all the money they make. Quit buying into the all corporations and rich people are bad bull****.

Football revenue allows athletes in less profitable sports to get scholarships too. How many people here are cool with college athletes making 5 figures a year if it means another person doesn't get to go to college.?

It absolutely baffles me that so many people care so deeply about suppressing these kids' wages.

Why can't they just be paid like everyone else in this country: freely negotiated market wages based on supply and demand?

The only two explanations I can come up with are that (1) some people actually think college football is about the education, and/or (2) that people don't actually care about the kids, they just don't want to see their fall Saturday afternoon entertainment messed around with.

Advertisement
Back