Pay them!!

I guess very few of you guys actually believe in free markets.

Instead of letting the kids get paid what the free market believes they are worth, most of you are advocating for a system in which employers collude to distort (and in the cases of elite athletes, suppress) wages.

"But they get free education, healthcare, housing, and food!" Must be a lot of Fidel fans in this thread.
GTFOH

Advertisement
I have no idea how it works at the U, but a few college programs I am familiar with, the players get a pretty good stipend check. Almost a grand per month. Legal so no bagman comments. I get all that. Does anyone know if oUr players receive a monthly check?

That's how it was for the Long Beach St baseball players. They had it pretty good and didn't have to worry about too much.

I guess very few of you guys actually believe in free markets.

Instead of letting the kids get paid what the free market believes they are worth, most of you are advocating for a system in which employers collude to distort (and in the cases of elite athletes, suppress) wages.

"But they get free education, healthcare, housing, and food!" Must be a lot of Fidel fans in this thread.
I love free enterprise. Issue in "amateur" sports (I know, I know), especially D1 Football and Men's hoops is that the free market would be very distorted. You think Bama, and a few others win 5*s with bags now: Wait until you see how much those kids merch is worth on the "free market" compared with kids elsewhere. It would take us back to the days of unregulated scholarship numbers. A few teams used to have unlimited scholarships for football. Who? Your top 5 every year. I don't disagree with your free market system comments at all. I think the U would end up middle tier again if the NCAA isnt careful with this issue See the 60s and 70s. I lived it.

The only thing I've always had a bit of an issue w/ is kids not being able to make a little change off signed memorabilia that the school sells for a profit. Other than that, they are afforded opportunities many who kill for.
This would be a good compromise and gives the kids an opportunity for some spending money in school like a job would.

Advertisement
I love free enterprise. Issue in "amateur" sports (I know, I know), especially D1 Football and Men's hoops is that the free market would be very distorted. You think Bama, and a few others win 5*s with bags now: Wait until you see how much those kids merch is worth on the "free market" compared with kids elsewhere. It would take us back to the days of unregulated scholarship numbers. A few teams used to have unlimited scholarships for football. Who? Your top 5 every year. I don't disagree with your free market system comments at all. I think the U would end up middle tier again if the NCAA isnt careful with this issue See the 60s and 70s. I lived it.

I understand this concern, and it's why it took me a while to come around to my current perspective that college football should be a completely free labor market.

However, after seeing Alabama and Clemson play for (basically) their 4th straight national title, I am no longer concerned about parity. There isn't any now, so what are we trying to preserve?

European soccer leagues are completely free labor markets, and already resemble college football. The same handful of teams are towards the top every year, and every so often an underdog has a great year and a top team has a down year. I don't think anything would change.

I would watch college football if you took the top 500 recruits out of every single recruiting class. Just like I watch non revenue sports, with no regard to the individual players. The school brand, the tradition, the rivalry makes the fans. They individually have next to zero impact on my contribution to the profit margin of the NCAA. I would watch Miami vs FSU if it was 100% non scholarship club football.

The compensation is very good, especially those that go to a private school. You get free room and board, an education, and an opportunity to showcase your talent to make millions at the next level. As has been mentioned, if the deal doesn't seem good to the students, nobody is forcing them to take it. They could just get straight a's and take on college loans like the rest of us to go to the school of their choice.
So if it was ****** athletes running slow as **** and dropping balls you’d still watch it? It wouldn’t be entertaining without the big, fast and strong athletes.

What about it? Please fill me in on how many major corporations take part in profit sharing with the people who work everyday to make them those profits. In any given year those kids are given a **** of alot more in monetary value than the average person gets paid that's for **** sure.

Most entertainers get paid very VERY well. They bring these kids here to win and entertain the fanbase.

It absolutely baffles me that so many people care so deeply about suppressing these kids' wages.

Why can't they just be paid like everyone else in this country: freely negotiated market wages based on supply and demand?

The only two explanations I can come up with are that (1) some people actually think college football is about the education, and/or (2) that people don't actually care about the kids, they just don't want to see their fall Saturday afternoon entertainment messed around with.

Was just about to say if these athletes were allowed to collectively bargain for their wages they would do that. It’s laughable that people still think 1. The education is “free” and 2. It’s an amateur sport still. Hasn’t been that way in decades.

Advertisement
If you accept an academic scholarship to an NCAA skool, you can make money on the side as an academic tutor. (****, my niece was making $35 an hour from the UF Athletic Department tutoring academically at-risk football players). You can also publish your own academic work and profit from it in the marketplace.

If you accept a music scholarship to an NCAA skool, you can teach music lessons to middle school kids on the side for money. You can also record and release your own music for profit into the marketplace.

If you accept an athletic scholarship to an NCAA skool, you are prohibited from making money teaching your sport to others (with the exception of NCAA authorized camps run by your university). You are also prohibited from making money off of your own likeness (public appearances, autographs, etc.).

You don't see boosters hiring academic and music students for no show jobs just to funnel money to them. You'd absolutely see that in athletics.

If you accept an academic scholarship to an NCAA skool, you can make money on the side as an academic tutor. (****, my niece was making $35 an hour from the UF Athletic Department tutoring academically at-risk football players). You can also publish your own academic work and profit from it in the marketplace.

If you accept a music scholarship to an NCAA skool, you can teach music lessons to middle school kids on the side for money. You can also record and release your own music for profit into the marketplace.

If you accept an athletic scholarship to an NCAA skool, you are prohibited from making money teaching your sport to others (with the exception of NCAA authorized camps run by your university). You are also prohibited from making money off of your own likeness (public appearances, autographs, etc.).

The UCF kicker lost his scholly because he wouldnt take down his youtube page and was starting to make money from views. I don't even think it was related to football. Athletic scholarships are backwards in NCAA.

It absolutely baffles me that so many people care so deeply about suppressing these kids' wages.

Why can't they just be paid like everyone else in this country: freely negotiated market wages based on supply and demand?

The only two explanations I can come up with are that (1) some people actually think college football is about the education, and/or (2) that people don't actually care about the kids, they just don't want to see their fall Saturday afternoon entertainment messed around with.
How about we pay them $75k a year and make them pay their own tuition?

Advertisement
The UCF kicker lost his scholly because he wouldnt take down his youtube page and was starting to make money from views. I don't even think it was related to football. Athletic scholarships are backwards in NCAA.

Yup.

The most criminal example of all time was Jeremy Bloom. Wide receiver for University of Colorado and a member of the US Men's Olympic Ski team. He lost his NCAA eligibility because he took endorsement money from a company that was sponsoring the Men's Olympic Ski team.

Ncaa wants a committee to head this up but won't allow schools to pay for a 3rd baseball coach. You start paying kids do you think they will work as hard at getting there degree. Ex with choc from last year. He busted his tail to get into college and worked hard at getting a degree. Do you think he works as hard if he is getting paid. Probably not. Yes some kids it really wouldn't make a difference but a chance to get into college means a lot to others.

If the kids feel the arrangement is unfair they are not forced to sign a scholarship.

But, that aside, what about the billions of dollars earned by NFL players as a result of the chance to showcase your ability to scouts for free for 3-4 years in NCAA football? Or the chance to earn a degree for free?

What about the lifetime of health care most who will never sniff the NFL, or have a jersey sold with their name on it, will need for "on the job" injuries while representing the institution (that occurred as the result of playing College Football)?

I played small college, and every guy I played on the O-line with, has had at least two operations related to football injuries (Shoulders, knees, hips, ankles, one guy nine back surgeries) before they were 50. That's on their dime. And we're not even talking CTE from an era where you led with your head.

A janitor or professor gets a debilitating injury "on the job" and they're taken care of.

Advertisement
I agree with giving players some money. Who pays the player, who governs it? Be aware of the backside- paying players is like buying a player. If boosters or schools involved then those with the deepest pockets will get the best players as they will offer more.

What about the lifetime of health care most who will never sniff the NFL, or have a jersey sold with their name on it, will need for "on the job" injuries while representing the institution (that occurred as the result of playing College Football)?

I played small college, and every guy I played on the O-line with, has had at least two operations related to football injuries (Shoulders, knees, hips, ankles, one guy nine back surgeries) before they were 50. That's on their dime. And we're not even talking CTE from an era where you led with your head.

A janitor or professor gets a debilitating injury "on the job" and they're taken care of.
That's because it's their "job"

Does anyone know the monetary value of a scholarship? Giving these kids free housing, food, tuition, travel to games, apparel, etc— it’s worth a lot.

If you don’t like the current arrangement, decline the free ride. No one is forcing you to play college football. It is a voluntary system. They can take their free ride and use it to get into a college most of these kids would never have a chance at attending, all while auditioning for a chance to make millions in the NFL, or they can stay living in a single room with six siblings on the mattress on the floor.

Their choice.
Go ahead put a monetary value on the scholarship, will show they are criminally underpaid. You will have to give them a scholarship/ current benefits and at least over 25k a year.

I don't know why you keep looking at it as either or. Either they accept the scholarship or they don't get anything. They should fight for the ability to get paid what they are worth just like with anything else you do in America that can be monetized. But if you want to do it like you say, take away scholarships and just give each player 100k a year if you are in the Power 5 football. 100k x 85= 8.5 million a year. The average football revenue is 30 million a year, so they will still be vastly underpaid with only 28% of the universities revenue going to the player. For reference, NFL and NBA players salaries constitute of just about 50% of a teams revenue. But since they are more amateur than pro, I think it is fair to begin with.

Advertisement
Back