Pay them!!

Lol they do huh? Try visiting LA or NY sometime and ask your wanna be actress that's your server at dinner about that. I would bet about 3% at best probably get paid well.
That's 100%...Alot of entertainers, who later went on to make it big...were waiters...stockboys...cooks..etc...

Advertisement
Go ahead put a monetary value on the scholarship, will show they are criminally underpaid. You will have to give them a scholarship/ current benefits and at least over 25k a year.

I don't know why you keep looking at it as either or. Either they accept the scholarship or they don't get anything. They should fight for the ability to get paid what they are worth just like with anything else you do in America that can be monetized. But if you want to do it like you say, take away scholarships and just give each player 100k a year if you are in the Power 5 football. 100k x 85= 8.5 million a year. The average football revenue is 30 million a year, so they will still be vastly underpaid with only 28% of the universities revenue going to the player. For reference, NFL and NBA players salaries constitute of just about 50% of a teams revenue. But since they are more amateur than pro, I think it is fair to begin with.
You can't. Maybe you missed that little issue called Title 9. As long as it exists athletes aren't getting paid. You can't pay the football player 100,000 without paying the 8th string women's volleyball player the same. Making money off of their likeness is a seperate matter.

I agree with giving players some money. Who pays the player, who governs it? Be aware of the backside- paying players is like buying a player. If boosters or schools involved then those with the deepest pockets will get the best players as they will offer more.

That already happens.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/
https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/
https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/
https://247sports.com/Season/2016-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/
https://247sports.com/Season/2014-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

You can't. Maybe you missed that little issue called Title 9. As long as it exists athletes aren't getting paid. You can't pay the football player 100,000 without paying the 8th string women's volleyball player the same. Making money off of their likeness is a seperate matter.
Of course, but we are talking about what should happen and that is they get paid their worth or at least closer to it.

In reality, for any law there are always loopholes. There are ways football players could get extra compensation that could fall under a loophole of Title 9. Hence what this article is about.

Does anyone know the monetary value of a scholarship? Giving these kids free housing, food, tuition, travel to games, apparel, etc— it’s worth a lot.

If you don’t like the current arrangement, decline the free ride. No one is forcing you to play college football. It is a voluntary system. They can take their free ride and use it to get into a college most of these kids would never have a chance at attending, all while auditioning for a chance to make millions in the NFL, or they can stay living in a single room with six siblings on the mattress on the floor.

Their choice.

It really depends on the school. If a Florida kid goes to FSU or UF they are earning a whopping 15k a year between tuition, food, housing, etc.

So these kids could either work a nice cushy minimum wage job at McDonalds. Get to spend tons of time studying for their major so they can end up with great grades and get a good job after graduating.

OR they can build up their CTE for 4 years and have much less time to dedicate to their studies

Advertisement
I agree with giving players some money. Who pays the player, who governs it? Be aware of the backside- paying players is like buying a player. If boosters or schools involved then those with the deepest pockets will get the best players as they will offer more.

Oh and to the "who pays the player" question...the school would pay the players. If this were to drive the football program out of business, the school would increase the prices of tickets, parking, concessions, etc. - i.e., pass along some of it to the end consumer, the fan. The fan would pay for it because the fan loves football. The schools would then tell the TV networks that they're going out of business. The TV networks would not want that to happen, because it would hurt their own bottom line, and would then negotiate a more favorable deal for the school. And so forth...

In other words, it would work the way every other industry works. Companies haggle with customers and vendors over prices, until a sustainable equilibrium is reached.

You don't see boosters hiring academic and music students for no show jobs just to funnel money to them. You'd absolutely see that in athletics.

I don't think this would happen in a truly free labor market. But even if it did, why would it be a problem? It's only a problem in today's world, because it's against the rules and the rules are poorly enforced, allowing some teams to do it but not others.

Is a "no show job" any different than, say, a speaking engagement? Usually the speaker doesn't have anything remarkable to say, they're just getting paid so that the audience can hang out with a celebrity.

If Nevin Shapiro had wanted to take some of the Miami Dolphins on his yet, what would've been so bad about that?

Advertisement
Lol they do huh? Try visiting LA or NY sometime and ask your wanna be actress that's your server at dinner about that. I would bet about 3% at best probably get paid well.

This is 100% true, but you obviously missed the point. Comparing P5 D1 players to the entertainers that are extras on law and order or something like that is ridiculous. If we were talking about HS football players you would have a point, but P5 D1 players are less than 1% of football players.

Also, some guy that is an extra on Law and Order is very easily replaceable and are not really making their studio much money by themselves. P5 D1 players are much harder to replace and are bringing in tons of money to their school.

I'm interested in the thoughts of @dsddcane and anyone who played high division I sports since they were in it.

Can I ask why? I don't know the poster you're referring to, so nothing against him. But I see coaches and ex-players giving their opinions on this all of the time, and I always wonder why anyone cares what they think.

They're good at football. Let them talk about football. This isn't about football, this is about markets. Let's hear from a labor economist, or someone who has experience privatizing government-dominated industries.

Not to say we shouldn't hear the players' perspective on this, but their views on how/why this would/wouldn't work on a marco level are not very relevant.

This is 100% true, but you obviously missed the point. Comparing P5 D1 players to the entertainers that are extras on law and order or something like that is ridiculous. If we were talking about HS football players you would have a point, but P5 D1 players are less than 1% of football players.

Also, some guy that is an extra on Law and Order is very easily replaceable and are not really making their studio much money by themselves. P5 D1 players are much harder to replace and are bringing in tons of money to their school.
Similarly, only a small percentage of scholarship football players are future pros and true gate earners. A substantial portion of them, beyond the impact players on the title relevant teams, could be replaced with out a discernible difference to everyone in the country beside that fanbase. Nobody was buying tickets to see bar milo, and somewhere someone is going to need to valuate each of the players for this.

Advertisement
It seems people think the NCAA keeps all the money they make. Quit buying into the all corporations and rich people are bad bull****.

Football revenue allows athletes in less profitable sports to get scholarships too. How many people here are cool with college athletes making 5 figures a year if it means another person doesn't get to go to college.?

why should the football players be forced to pay for rich kids to play tennis and lacrosse because they can't fill up a stadium or get enough revenue through TV endorsements to fund there own sport? that's not how the rest of America works Microsoft doesn't have to share it's profits with the less fortunate software companies to help them stay in business...........guarantee if the tables turn the lacrosse and tennis families would have a major issues with their rich kids profits being given to the inner city kids.

let's keep it real.

Without these players the NCAA wouldn’t have all that money. The main reason why they make billions is because of these players. So why not pay those players because the NFL does.
Where are these billions they make? Sounds like bs to me.

Yup.

The most criminal example of all time was Jeremy Bloom. Wide receiver for University of Colorado and a member of the US Men's Olympic Ski team. He lost his NCAA eligibility because he took endorsement money from a company that was sponsoring the Men's Olympic Ski team.

Never understood this.

Advertisement
why should the football players be forced to pay for rich kids to play tennis and lacrosse because they can't fill up a stadium or get enough revenue through TV endorsements to fund there own sport? that's not how the rest of America works Microsoft doesn't have to share it's profits with the less fortunate software companies to help them stay in business...........guarantee if the tables turn the lacrosse and tennis families would have a major issues with their rich kids profits being given to the inner city kids.

let's keep it real.
You mean like in real life where rich kids parents do most the paying for the government safety net they never use?

Go ahead put a monetary value on the scholarship, will show they are criminally underpaid. You will have to give them a scholarship/ current benefits and at least over 25k a year.

I don't know why you keep looking at it as either or. Either they accept the scholarship or they don't get anything. They should fight for the ability to get paid what they are worth just like with anything else you do in America that can be monetized. But if you want to do it like you say, take away scholarships and just give each player 100k a year if you are in the Power 5 football. 100k x 85= 8.5 million a year. The average football revenue is 30 million a year, so they will still be vastly underpaid with only 28% of the universities revenue going to the player. For reference, NFL and NBA players salaries constitute of just about 50% of a teams revenue. But since they are more amateur than pro, I think it is fair to begin with.

Great post... sport management major maybe?

Advertisement
Back