Patten Talks Miami Offer

View as article

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
2014 Booker T. Washington CB Nigel Patten was on his way to a track meet when he got a call from the Miami coaches with some big news.

“Coach Barrow was on the phone and he said that we have been looking at your tape and we really think you can take our program to the next level and we want to offer you a scholarship.”

Patten was excited to finally receive an offer from the hometown team and described what he felt like.

“It means a lot. It’s my hometown and a school that is wealthy in tradition and with all of its education. It feels really good.”

Patten originally had Miami in his top list of schools and some might wonder where this offer puts them.

“They are in the top three schools and they have always been in the top three.”

The rising senior corner likes the tradition Miami has at cornerback especially with Booker T. alumnus Brandon Harris being a former Hurricane.

“I like their defensive back tradition. Brandon Harris was a five-star alumni from Booker T who went to Miami and is now playing in the NFL, so that opened up my eyes.”

Despite recent events, Booker T has had a strong connection with Miami in the past and Patten admits that will play a role for Miami.

“Yes that definitely helps Miami. Whenever their is a school that feeds a lot of kids to a certain college it always helps so yeah that really helps.”

Patten's original recruiter from Florida State is now Miami’s offensive coordinator in Coach James Coley. He described what their relationship is like.

“Coach Coley is cool guy, he has a great sense of humor and he keeps it real with the recruiting process and he is just a real cool guy.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Coley is gonna be the recruiter of the year for 2014.

They love this dude.

Advertisement
sounds like not a lot changed from how he saw Miami when he didnt have an offer

go get em Coley

This kid will take it down to the wire just like all Booker T kids do. Hopefully he learned the Kirklanf lesson...these spits don't stick around forever and there are a TON of corners this year.

Advertisement
We're so loaded at CB and there are so many out there that I don't worry if Patten comes or not. If our coaches like him alot then I hope he does come, but it's not a big deal if he doesn't. I do like the story about him throwing up The U in practice even though the coaches get mad at him.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Coley is gonna be the recruiter of the year for 2014.

They love this dude.

MY NIGHTMARE IS COLEY PUTTING ALL THIS WORK WITH THESE 305 BOYZ AND THEN LEAVING WEEKS BEFORE SIGNING DAY NEXT YEAR

Coaches leaving is part of the business but Coley is from Miami so that should help. On paper he left a 12-2 team for a 7-5 team and coming home had a lot to do with that. Not saying his phone won't ring for other opportunties but lets not worry about him bailing quite yet

Advertisement
Back