Patrick Surtain jr.

Advertisement
Kirby Smart did worse his first year than richt.
He outperformed Richt in year 2.

Let's see what happens in year 3.

Miami would beat Auburn.

Yep. People forget that we lost our 3 best offensive weapons against clemson. Give us Richards, Walton, and Herndon and we could beat any team in the country. Our dl is also one of the few to match the Auburns, clemsons, and Bamas of the world.

Why did Pat Sr send his son to learn under Rumph at American Heritage?

Cause he didn't like him?

Let's not get this twisted. The Surtains sent their kids to AH before Coach Rumph was the HC there, and probably before he was even on the staff at AH. They didn't send them to AH for Coach Rumph or any other coach.

Having said that, Coach Rumph hired Pat, Sr. to his staff, and they are pretty close.

As my man, [MENTION=1279]gogeta4[/MENTION], pointed out, OG (Oronde Gadsden) has been on that staff for a while too. I don't know if Pat, Sr. was there before OG, or it was the other way around (I think OG has been on the staff longer), and the HC job came down to Pat, Sr. and OG and they obviously gave it to Pat. I don't know this for certain, but I believe that Coach Rumph recommended Pat, Sr. for the job when he left for UM.

Let's not get this twisted. The Surtains sent their kids to AH before Coach Rumph was the HC there, and probably before he was even on the staff at AH. They didn't send them to AH for Coach Rumph or any other coach.

Having said that, Coach Rumph hired Pat, Sr. to his staff, and they are pretty close.

As my man, [MENTION=1279]gogeta4[/MENTION], pointed out, OG (Oronde Gadsden) has been on that staff for a while too. I don't know if Pat, Sr. was there before OG, or it was the other way around (I think OG has been on the staff longer), and the HC job came down to Pat, Sr. and OG and they obviously gave it to Pat. I don't know this for certain, but I believe that Coach Rumph recommended Pat, Sr. for the job when he left for UM.

Thanks for the solid info. It's ridiculous to conclude as a some have in here that Pat Sr doesn't like Rumph as a coach. He has already allowed Mike to coach his son.

This kid is not coming here every year theres a kid like this, he wasnt interested all year n now hes magically interested? This is the Smith kid from last year all over again IMO

Use r getting sucked in and he wont come here at all even if his teammates do

I think you're wrong

the kid came to practice, by himself

you don't do that if you're already going to lsu, you just don't

i'm going with franchise on this one, cane

Advertisement
This kid is not coming here every year theres a kid like this, he wasnt interested all year n now hes magically interested? This is the Smith kid from last year all over again IMO

Use r getting sucked in and he wont come here at all even if his teammates do

I think you're wrong

the kid came to practice, by himself

you don't do that if you're already going to lsu, you just don't

i'm going with franchise on this one, cane

At the end of the day...I still believe he chooses LSU....

Oronde Gadsen, now there's a blast from the past. Haven't heard that name in probably 10 yrs or so.

Advertisement

Thanks for the solid info. It's ridiculous to conclude as a some have in here that Pat Sr doesn't like Rumph as a coach. He has already allowed Mike to coach his son.

Who said he doesn't like him? I think the larger point people are making is that Surtain is effusive in his praise of Raymond but barely says anything about Rumph. I think that's the head scratcher that everyone's pointing to.

If I had to make a prediction right now, it would be LSU.

However, I believe we have a real shot at him and that visit with his teammates in late January could change things in a big way, a la Tracy Howard.

I'm thinking LSU on signing day. But if it was 100% he would have signed and shut it down in the early signing period.

Florida has been home for them for years now and the relationship with Rumph could help us. It's a long shot but you get the luxury bus out and send the entire coaching staff (like they did Navaughn) the last day before the dead period. Make a stop to pick up Nesta and drive to the other 3 AH kids homes.

I am certainly going to agree with the Canes fans who think we have a real shot at PS2. The family lives here and his son is taking visits with the last one with his teammates. Senior would never want to disrespect the home town fan base or UM. They are keeping this close to the vest and very professional. I don't think the kid has made his decision yet. In the end NOBODY HERE KNOWS and it's all speculation. If there was no interest he wouldn't be taking these visits. THAT IS COMMON SENSE! My prediction is he comes here.

Advertisement
The last staff would have crawled into the fetal poisition & handed over PS2 to LSU with a bow attatched. CMR will be on the treadmill working.

Grew up an LSU fan, but now it’s a dumpster fire and may reconsider. Sound familiar?

To be determined, the season ain't over yet. If we win the OB, we had a helluva good season. Short of UGA winning the national title, I would be hesitant to call it "underperforming." Richt won coach of the year honors for a **** good reason. People saw what we had and what we were also lacking, and there isn't a staff doing a better job than Miami's.

Advertisement
All I know is that both PS and PS2 seem like reasonably well-informed individuals and the family knows football.

For whatever reason, he grew-up with LSU as his dream school. Maybe it was his father's dream school, who knows?

True, we didn't start off the year even making his top 5, but for anyone saying we don't have a chance, that's ridiculous.

We clearly caused him to turn his head and, IMO, if I had a top 2, we're in it, and it's not a 95%/5% kind of deal.

This family is smart enough to know that Orgeron and LSU vs. Richt and Miami requires a seriously hard look, hence him coming to practice the other day and then coming on an official visit.

I am not going to act like I know a **** thing more than anyone else, I am just guessing, but I think in the end logic wins out and he's a Cane.

All I know is that both PS and PS2 seem like reasonably well-informed individuals and the family knows football.

For whatever reason, he grew-up with LSU as his dream school. Maybe it was his father's dream school, who knows?

True, we didn't start off the year even making his top 5, but for anyone saying we don't have a chance, that's ridiculous.

We clearly caused him to turn his head and, IMO, if I had a top 2, we're in it, and it's not a 95%/5% kind of deal.

This family is smart enough to know that Orgeron and LSU vs. Richt and Miami requires a seriously hard look, hence him coming to practice the other day and then coming on an official visit.

I am not going to act like I know a **** thing more than anyone else, I am just guessing, but I think in the end logic wins out and he's a Cane.

In recruiting logic never seems to win out but with the Surtains, I am hopeful.

In recruiting logic never seems to win out but with the Surtains, I am hopeful.

Logic and recruiting can be at odds with one another plenty, but it works often enough. Under Golden and Shannon were on the losing side so much it felt like it was failing more than it did though. If Sr. knows as much about football as he does, he knows that a HC makes or breaks the team no matter how much you like your position coach. Heck, he played for the Dolphins so he better.

To be determined, the season ain't over yet. If we win the OB, we had a helluva good season. Short of UGA winning the national title, I would be hesitant to call it "underperforming." Richt won coach of the year honors for a **** good reason. People saw what we had and what we were also lacking, and there isn't a staff doing a better job than Miami's.

Yeah, let's hold off on casting final tallies on this season. I was more harsh on Curby's hire than has panned out but if we were to smoke Wisky and they lose a non-competitive game to Oklahoma then I'm definitely not comfortable saying Smart outperformed Rick this year.

Advertisement
Back