Patke LB Coach/ Aristide OLB

Anyone that argues for patke in a special teams role I'm not sure I understand what they're watching. Be objective #1 Borregalles, #2 Hedley. If you take those two players away than what about our special teams play even vaguely resembles special? Our punt return AND coverage was atrocious. Our kick off coverage was mundane and our return game was comical... That's the role of a special teams coach, it's coaching and the play of his room, not having a kid transfer in who we blew rec with in the first place not signing out of high school & then take the credit for what a beast he already was & same capacity with the Australian wonder. They were arguably the two most important players on the team. Lol lord that's sad.
Preach.
Some people want to pretend our kick/punt coverage/return units weren't subpar last year, and that Patke is suddenly a kicking guru.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It wasn't a weakness until this season, though. Thomas and Osborn were great returners. I mean he literally tried everyone this season on returning punts. He eventually settled on Gurvan Hall if I remember right, he didn't add a whole lot to the return game but at least he could field punts clean.

1. We clearly have different definitions of "great". KJ was an above average returner. Thomas was untrustworthy and a feast/famine type.
2. KJ was a GT. Hard to give Patke much credit for his development.

Didn’t even mention all of the successful fake punts against us over the last couple of years.

Or the absolutely horrid onside kick given up against... Louisville (?) where three guys stood there and just watched the ball dribble forward with their thumbs up their asses.

What a shock one of them was Ivey. But people still trying to say he's not awful.

Advertisement
Only issue I had is not sticking with one guy. Shouldn't be that hard to figure out who you got and put the best guy (based on what you want) and ride him barring injury. The musical chair approach was a detriment to developing a consistent return guy in my view.

Totally disagree here. You drop one, you're done. Pope should have never got a second chance. Either should Harley. Hall was the only dude who could field a **** punt all year.

I don't care if you look like Devin Hester out there. If you can't field the ball when you have a clean chance to do so, you lose your shot.

Uhhhh.... considering we have an STK, don't we just have one OLB and one ILB at most points during a game? Am I missing something here?

STK AND ILB AND ST seems like an awful lot for Patke considering he's an absolute garbage ST coach.
Our KO coverage has been bad...but when you have Lou and Borregales it's really hard to say ST sucks. Sorry man, all the **** talk has no support.

Our KO coverage has been bad...but when you have Lou and Borregales it's really hard to say ST sucks. Sorry man, all the **** talk has no support.

Do you mean with the exception of the multitude of people who are agreeing with me that ST is garbage?

Hedley and Borregales could be coached by ME and be just as successful. And you're clearly ignoring the multiple dropped punts.

So, your comment here is idiotic, at best. Maybe actually try next time?

Advertisement
Do you mean with the exception of the multitude of people who are agreeing with me that ST is garbage?

Hedley and Borregales could be coached by ME and be just as successful. And you're clearly ignoring the multiple dropped punts.

Multiple people as in your fan club? lol. How about you try again. And support it. Oh yeah. Go ahead and coach ST while your at it, sweetheart.

Multiple people as in your fan club? lol. How about you try again. And support it. Oh yeah. Go ahead and coach ST while your at it, sweetheart.

LMAO. Was there are reason you quoted my post twice, or did you just get the internet in South Carolina?

You sound like a real big man completely ignoring facts. People agree with me because they're my "fans," not because I'm right. What a pathetic deflection.

OK sweetheart. Get a clue. I've given all the support I need yet somehow you think Patke is a master of teaching place kicking and punting, and Hedley and Borregales would be useless under any other coach.

Go velcro your shoes and take a hike.

LMAO. Was there are reason you quoted my post twice, or did you just get the internet in South Carolina?

You sound like a real big man completely ignoring facts. People agree with me because they're my "fans," not because I'm right. What a pathetic deflection.

OK sweetheart. Get a clue. I've given all the support I need yet somehow you think Patke is a master of teaching place kicking and punting, and Hedley and Borregales would be useless under any other coach.

Go velcro your shoes and take a hike.
Great job there cupcake. Insulting a region? You're definitely tip of iceburg material. What do you do all day, besides wipe drool off your face...

Anyway, next time you use a velcro shoes reference, you shouldn't follow it with take a hike..because I'm sure you used a ton of skill to type that Be careful before you actually learn something.

Totally disagree here. You drop one, you're done. Pope should have never got a second chance. Either should Harley. Hall was the only dude who could field a **** punt all year.

I don't care if you look like Devin Hester out there. If you can't field the ball when you have a clean chance to do so, you lose your shot.
So I imagine you would have benched Sean Taylor from punt returns as well. Your one and done approach isn't realistic or helpful. If you put anyone out there that is more worried about muffing one than catching one you are just setting them up to ***** up. Everyone will have a ***** up every now and then. For me it also matters if it happens as a result of a poor play or is a fluke. Regardless you settle all this in practice not in game situations.

Advertisement
Anyone that argues for patke in a special teams role I'm not sure I understand what they're watching. Be objective #1 Borregalles, #2 Hedley. If you take those two players away than what about our special teams play even vaguely resembles special? Our punt return AND coverage was atrocious. Our kick off coverage was mundane and our return game was comical... That's the role of a special teams coach, it's coaching and the play of his room, not having a kid transfer in who we blew rec with in the first place not signing out of high school & then take the credit for what a beast he already was & same capacity with the Australian wonder. They were arguably the two most important players on the team. Lol lord that's sad.
Football 101

Go Canes!!!

Yes and no. This isn't a guy and manny thing when it speaks to them as traditional head coaches, no ur right on that. However it is a guy and manny thing when it relates to how they run their defense and how they interfere or not. Gus has proven he knows his **** & from my understanding he lets a coach be a coach. That's not to say obviously that I know everything when it relates to how he handles his teams but that's been my understanding of it. Now manny on the other hand I obviously have far more direct knowledge of how he relates in that capacity & up to this point what manny does with the defensive side of the ball is he heavily micromanages the staff throughout... That's where the distinction of his and manny comes into play. For someone in the capacity of Outside linebacker coach opposed to even Co dc that can be huge. Besides that common sense is for career advancement purposes ucf gave him a plus from every angle.
Conversely, Gus has publicly micromanaged multiple OCs including our own resulting in a few up and comers sprinting to get away from him. Dillingham and Lashlee notably. Would expect that he’s not meddling on defense as an offensive coach. Hopefully he can do whatever is necessary to get the defense looking better than it was last year. If not, I’m expecting that they season will tank and we’ll move on.

Berrios was top10 in the FBS in punt return avg in 2016 and in 2017 he averaged 15.9 yards per return which would have put him at #2 in the country except he was two returns short of qualifying for the rankings. So basically, you have zero clue what you're talking about. Thanks.
Yeah , I remember all of those Braxton Barrios punt returns. Sez almost nobody ever. Great Cane and a good WR but as a punt returner? Nah man. He will always be remembered as a punt returner that mastered the fair catch. But you do you and you are welcome!!

Go Canes!!!

Advertisement
After taking a day to think about this, many including myself were critical of the lack
of recruiters in the defensive side of the ball. Well, Manny hired another guy known as a legit recruiter. I was critical of then role and what role Patke will have. But i’m sure Manny and either née hires who are good recruiters will be on linebackers. Hope it works.

So I imagine you would have benched Sean Taylor from punt returns as well. Your one and done approach isn't realistic or helpful. If you put anyone out there that is more worried about muffing one than catching one you are just setting them up to ***** up. Everyone will have a ***** up every now and then. For me it also matters if it happens as a result of a poor play or is a fluke. Regardless you settle all this in practice not in game situations.

Well, yeah, I would have benched Taylor from punt returns, considering he played alongside the best returner to ever do it at any level.

If you're going to use a hypothetical, maybe don't make it that absurdly asinine?

Yes and no. This isn't a guy and manny thing when it speaks to them as traditional head coaches, no ur right on that. However it is a guy and manny thing when it relates to how they run their defense and how they interfere or not. Gus has proven he knows his **** & from my understanding he lets a coach be a coach. That's not to say obviously that I know everything when it relates to how he handles his teams but that's been my understanding of it. Now manny on the other hand I obviously have far more direct knowledge of how he relates in that capacity & up to this point what manny does with the defensive side of the ball is he heavily micromanages the staff throughout... That's where the distinction of his and manny comes into play. For someone in the capacity of Outside linebacker coach opposed to even Co dc that can be huge. Besides that common sense is for career advancement purposes ucf gave him a plus from every angle.
Gus doesn’t micromanage? Ask any of his former OCs. There is a reason Lashlee took the UCONN job. And it wasn’t because he loved Storrs in the fall.

Where did this only coaching OLB stuff come from? Considering we don’t even have pure OLBs it sure must’ve been an interesting sell job by Manny if even a real thing.

Ain’t no one in the college football world but you gonna suggest that Gus isn’t a micromanager when it comes to his offense

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back