Pat Fitzgerald/Northwestern implosion

This is wrong especially in today’s society. But don’t go asking Romberg about “hazing” during his time as part of the greatest CFB team known to mankind. These stories would seem like nursery rhymes and the NCAA would open up a brand new investigation on us.

Players, admin, and coaches especially know better. It just doesn’t have a place in today’s sports world. Nor does Fitz have a leg to stand on.

It does seem there are some suit’s involved representing a couple kids $ chasingn
NOTHING remotely like this happened during Rombergs time at UM......Nothing.....

Advertisement
I read that crap & just stayed quiet. You see a bigger picture of all the things wrong with society. They call this **** hazing & I call this **** a bunch of boogers who found an excuse to fondle each other's balls...
Tell me you’re a white midwestern school without telling me you’re a white midwestern school

NOTHING remotely like this happened during Rombergs time at UM......Nothing.....
I recall freshmen used to have to shave their heads — pretty innocent.

I’m sure the wrestling/fighting in the couches was not as innocent but also hard to classify that as hazing.

I recall freshmen used to have to shave their heads — pretty innocent.

I’m sure the wrestling/fighting in the couches was not as innocent but also hard to classify that as hazing.
The Freshman shaved heads stuff shouldn't even be used in the same context as this other garbage....how anyone can equate that to the other disgusting behavior is troubling.

Advertisement
I understand hazing is a tradition and many of us have been through it, but this stuff, if true, is disturbing and really ****ed up. [ATTACH ⁶type="full"]245705[/ATTACH]

I was a member of a very successful high school program in soFla back in the late 1970s. Yeah, the underclassmen were picked on a little bit and the JV players were not allowed to walk off the practice field, they had to run off/on and if I recall we needed to keep our helmets on....could not hang out on in varsity locker room....that sort of stuff.. and we had multiple div1 ballers on our team...none of this sexual homoerotic behavior...but this seems to occur at more high schools than we assume, especially up north for some reason and, yeah, often at the white suburban schools...strange stuff.

Last edited:
Kinda get the sense Pat enjoys sitting alongside the bed watching his wife get railed.
He had a good run of overachieving teams winning games in a very tough conference but I think he became something of a pompous fat cat especially at some of his post-game conferences, oftentimes scolding the beat reporters for being critical of the product on the field.

They will probably fire him as the “cancel people” and constant talking heads continue to put the pressure on.

Firing achieved, they will move onto the next thing in the news cycle and Pat will latch on to some rehab program under Saban, Day, Smart or someone else before he gets another coaching job.

If DJ Durkin gets a job, and he was literally responsible for killing one of his players, so will Pat.

Advertisement
It is about power, via humiliation, unto subjugation.

The goals are primitive, but they usually fall along a predictable and consistent structure:

I require you to do something we both view as shameful, in service of pleasing me. I am in control over you, you are willing to do almost anything I tell you to. I protect myself because you are the one doing the shameful conduct; to implicate me you must also implicate yourself.

There may also be some “I wanna do *** stuff lol” mixed in there as well.
I preface this by saying I agree with you.

When there are uses of sexual abuse to establish that power via humiliation into subjugation, just my humble opinion, the piece of the pie chart that includes "I wanna do/see *** stuff lol" is probably much bigger than most think...its the #1 answer if this were Family Feud.

Its one thing to make a newly minted millionaire buy his teammates an obnoxious dinner or make them stand up and sing some Christina Aguilera in front of everyone at the end of a practice...its another to gather around and watch your teammates bear crawl naked, simulate a gang rape on a teammate, or shove a broomstick up a teammates ***. The latter is just ******* weird behavior and really has no place in today's society even when the intent is not to see/participate some *** *** acts.

It takes a special amount of hubris in these coaches to not report **** like this in this day and age. They've been in countless meetings telling them this **** is now unacceptable and the protocol to report...these bozos simply think they are above it all. Shameful.

I talked with Romberg for a while about his time at Miami and yes he’s a hard ***, take no **** type of personality, he talked about a desire to build trust between his teammates and a sense of in it together. There was fear instilled for messing up, but it was answering to your teammates, not this stuff.

Paying dues is a way to make players show their commitment level. What was happening at NU was about power and control.

They will probably fire him as the “cancel people” and constant talking heads continue to put the pressure on.

Firing achieved, they will move onto the next thing in the news cycle and Pat will latch on to some rehab program under Saban, Day, Smart or someone else before he gets another coaching job.

If DJ Durkin gets a job, and he was literally responsible for killing one of his players, so will Pat.

Irony here that Pat Fitzgerald works at a school which pumps out alums to so-called sports media, often railing at other programs for doing similar or lesser stuff.

Advertisement
This might be viewed poorly but I’ll say two things.

As someone that’s been on a collegiate sports team and undergone acts of hazing…it’s really supposed to be more about team camaraderie and bonding than it is punishment. I’ve undergone various drinking challenges, group activities, whatever you want to call it…and yet 95% of it was honestly pretty fun. Some kids didn’t drink on my team and the people in charge of said hazing event would either have them do other activities or drink O’douls (non-alcoholic beer). It was almost like an initiation of sorts, and then afterwards we’d all get hammered and you felt part of something bigger than yourself. Had maybe 3-4 events throughout our freshman year specifically targeted at us, then you’re “one of the guys”.

Now there’s times where it gets a bit over the top (you’re in college, I mean c’mon), but it was usually nipped in the butt immediately. I’m not going to speak on behalf of what happened at NW or any other universities, but the term hazing has a very negative connotation today (and rightfully so for the most part considering issues that have occurred at various Greek Life houses/orders).

Personally, the article really didn’t seem that bad. It’s worded much stronger than the actual allegations entail (consider the source as well, it’s Northwestern). I’ve heard of things 10x worse at fraternities or sororities across the country. The headline is incredibly misleading, but I do agree if someone refuses to take part in an event, that’s their right. No need to force it.

Curious to see what happens. Also I don’t think Fitzgerald is involved - I know he’s ultimately responsible for his players and their actions, but (for example) our coach had no idea what was being done outside of practice/games other than a couple parties here and there if we won.
Nipped in the bud, horticultural references… nipped in the butt is what they were doing at NW.

Maybe we should in fact cancel people, for a time, that have TRULY done things and deserved to be cancelled?

if what is coming out is true, he deserves it.

Advertisement
Unless I missed something, is this really comparable to Penn St, Ohio St and Michigan St scandals??

Advertisement
Back