Pat Fitzgerald/Northwestern implosion

So no Old School cement block tied to your *******?
1689015216430.gif

Advertisement
Little mention of the letter supplied by a large group of NU players denying the allegations and supporting Fitz. Not juicy enough to create clicks/news.

The ALLEGED activities from ONE player is headline news. I certainly don’t condone the ALLEGED activities by ONE player but in today’s 24/7 incessant news cycle, this type of story generates clicks/viewers and circumvents the order of law - innocent until proven guilty.

Little mention of the letter supplied by a large group of NU players denying the allegations and supporting Fitz. Not juicy enough to create clicks/news.

The ALLEGED activities from ONE player is headline news. I certainly don’t condone the ALLEGED activities by ONE player but in today’s 24/7 incessant news cycle, this type of story generates clicks/viewers and circumvents the order of law - innocent until proven guilty.

You mean a letter from a bunch of upperclassmen would would have been INFLICTING the hazing in question?

Yep, nothing self-interested about THAT letter..."on my honor, I swear there was no hazing going on that involved me doing the hazing..."

You do realize that this "ONE player" has a photo of a whiteboard detailing the alleged hazing, right?

Advertisement
See - people (not saying you, Tony) like to speculate publicly if the AD knew something. Maybe he did. Maybe he didn’t.

People love speculating, however. They get off on that ****. Now it’s guilty until proven innocent.

It’s worth investigating, obviously.

I will just say this. I don't remember a single "sexual assault/hazing/abuse" scandal in which SOMEONE didn't attempt to tell someone else higher up in the chain of command. I'm not commenting on the reasons why a higher-up did nothing, I'm just pointing out that it's unbelievably rare that NOBODY among the victims says ANYTHING to ANYONE.

And, look, even though I'm no fan of anyone with the title "ACC Commissioner", I'll be fair and hear what the guy has to say.

But I'd be willing to bet money that someobody said something to him at some point. And I would make a sizable contribution to the ACC to ask Jim Phillips a bunch of questions after he's had a dose of sodium pentathol...

Advertisement
The military also has barbers that do it, they don't let older soldiers shave newer soldiers.
Unless you're leaving them with ****ed up haircuts which I think is dumb, theres not much that can go wrong with putting a 1" protector on the clippers and cutting it all off. You can do that yourself in 5 minutes... Theres a fundamental difference in cutting someones hair to try to humiliate them and cutting it for a specific purpose of having them all uniform and starting from 0 and the like. The former is lame, the latter is fine imo.

I talked with Romberg for a while about his time at Miami and yes he’s a hard ***, take no **** type of personality, he talked about a desire to build trust between his teammates and a sense of in it together. There was fear instilled for messing up, but it was answering to your teammates, not this stuff.

Paying dues is a way to make players show their commitment level. What was happening at NU was about power and control.
This. You answer to your teammates and then your teammates take you out to the practice field and work with you until it’s right. That how you build a winning culture.

If they actually happened then yeah, that’s bad. Inexcusable. I’ll apologize because I also read it at 2:30 am over here in Europe and probably didn’t have the greatest comprehension skills going.

But speaking to two people that played sports there very recently (baseball and football)…they each said that’s not at all what happened. It’s being totally embellished. I hope the two people I spoke to are right because if not, then yeah Pat is a goner. I don’t condone anything of that nature so I apologize for speaking in that tone.

Never Apologize. John Wayne

Advertisement
Unless you're leaving them with ****ed up haircuts which I think is dumb, theres not much that can go wrong with putting a 1" protector on the clippers and cutting it all off. You can do that yourself in 5 minutes... Theres a fundamental difference in cutting someones hair to try to humiliate them and cutting it for a specific purpose of having them all uniform and starting from 0 and the like. The former is lame, the latter is fine imo.

Yes, but you are also overlooking the fact that when you allow slightly-older teammates to do things to slightly-younger teammates, it can rapidly take on a power/humiliation dimension.

What I'm saying is that the military-barber situation is not "hazing".

Yes, but you are also overlooking the fact that when you allow slightly-older teammates to do things to slightly-younger teammates, it can rapidly take on a power/humiliation dimension.

What I'm saying is that the military-barber situation is not "hazing".
I agree it Can, that's why I mentioned intention/goal is important. If you have the right intention behind it, you don't really care how they get their hair cut - whether its you, them doing it themselves, or a barber you provide/they go see themselves...

You mean a letter from a bunch of upperclassmen would would have been INFLICTING the hazing in question?

Yep, nothing self-interested about THAT letter..."on my honor, I swear there was no hazing going on that involved me doing the hazing..."

You do realize that this "ONE player" has a photo of a whiteboard detailing the alleged hazing, right?
Surprising/not surprising response from you counselor. I thought surely you would be on the innocent until proven guilty train. Assumptions about motive is contrary to that premise, no?

Advertisement
Surprising/not surprising response from you counselor. I thought surely you would be on the innocent until proven guilty train. Assumptions about motive is contrary to that premise, no?

I believe in innocent until proven guilty. I've also walked this earth for enough years to know that there is a motivation to produce a "letter of support" in order to establish "innocence" before the process has even begun. And I've seen enough bull**** to know that most of those letters aren't worth the rice paper they are written on. And I DEFINITELY know that all the sophomores and juniors and seniors who were hazing their teammates are not going to rush out and admit to it.

You don't have to be on "one train" or another. These are complex issues. But, yes, I tend to laugh at "but 50 guys just signed a letter sayin' I din't do nuffin'" bull****.

Here is just an EXAMPLE of when "letters of support" will backfire on you (it involves Jonathan Majors and the article in Rolling Stone):

1689021614437.png

And then...whoops...

1689021700232.png

So, it's like all those Jeff Foxworthy "you might be a redneck if" routines.

If you feel the need to produce testimonial letters this early in a scandal...you might have a problem...

It blows my mind that in todays internet age someone thought they would get away with this. Even if it’s not as bad as it sounds, it just sounds bad. For someone so smart to be entirely stupid at the same time is perplexing.

Advertisement
Back