Pass rush in 2012: where does it come from?

Advertisement
Wait wait why can't Chick be a terror off the edge for us?

OP needs to explain himself

I just don't see that elite burst you see in guys that can come off the edge. As Jhall pointed out and I missed his improved strength should keep OT's off guard as they have to be ready in case he uses a bull rush, which could open them up on the outside. I love Chick and expect him to be our best DL/ just hoping he's not the only guy able to get after the passer.

Advertisement
I expect big things from Tyriq McCord. His closing speed is rare.

Is he big enough to help this year, or will he need a shirt?

He's definitely not an every down DE. If we use him situationally, I think he's big enough. He's strong, just not DE strong.

I agree with this post, McCord has the potential to be a game changer, he's just too small to play a lot of snaps right now.

McCord will be a good third down pass rush for us, but he is not big enough to be an every down guy right now. We really dont have a pure pass rusher outside of him and he is almost a lb anyways, were going to have to see the lbs blitz more if we want to get any pressure at all.

If the tackles are tying up blockers in the middle it makes life a lot easier on everyone else and you will see more sacks regardless of edge personnel.

I'd like to see VT or RrA get a few sacks, via the safety blitz.

LB's could provide a few.

My $ is on Chickillo, I can see him doubling his production (TFL and sacks). If we can stop the run better this fall, we'll get many more chances for sacks.

Advertisement
We got corners sticking like stink on ****, we'll get some sacks.

That's the thing. The linemen come, the corners stick, the ends churn, and our LB's keep it real, we'll see a big difference over last year, and certainly several years before.

They all gotta work like fingers on a hand.

its going to be pass rush by committee. But could see Chick and Cain both get more than that 6.5. I think Porter puts up career numbers when it comes to sacks...you know like maybe 4. But I'd settle for him just disrupting the pocket even if they don't turn into sacks.

its going to be pass rush by committee. But could see Chick and Cain both get more than that 6.5. I think Porter puts up career numbers when it comes to sacks...you know like maybe 4. But I'd settle for him just disrupting the pocket even if they don't turn into sacks.

I don't see Porter as a big sack guy, but as was alluded to earlier, he should eat up blocks inside to free up our DE's to get after the QB.

Advertisement

I don't see Porter as a big sack guy, but as was alluded to earlier, he should eat up blocks inside to free up our DE's to get after the QB.

yeah i don't see too many sacks, but could see him providing plenty of pressures if healthy. The guys first step is under rated.

Advertisement
Chick is relentless, and a non-stop motor is lethal. It wouldn't surprise me to see Chick have double-digit sacks this year. He just gets after it so well, so often, that statistically he's going to make a lot of plays bc he's in on so many.

I don't see anyone on our Dline being a stellar pass rusher.

I want to see coach D dial up some more blitz packages from our LB's and DB's. Our D line scheme is gap assignment. The D line pretty much holds their guy up and occupies them and then they try to shed the block and make the tackle. I don't like it but it's something unfortunately we have to except. I can see Perryman or another LB leading the team in sacks this season with well timed blitzes.

On a side note, I really hope that our players can finally learn to disguise our blitzes. How many times have we tipped our blitz off to the offense in the past 4 years? Geez seems like every time we get ready to blitz some player forgets his *** and creeps up way to early. Our guys have to learn self control (this goes for false start penalties on O) and begin to focus and show some **** discipline. We haven't been a smart team in a really long time, maybe ever (we always rank among the highest penalized teams in all of college football dating back to Jesus walking the earth).

You make an excellent point regarding the way our defensive linemen play their gap assignments. I think one reason why we play this style is because we've had poor linebacking play. Our linebackers haven't been able to handle operating behind wider splits from the DL. As outstanding as Spence was he wasn't that good getting off of blocks from OLinmen. If we could get better play from the 'backers it would allow the DEs to play more upfield.

The flipside is that if we continue playing tight alignments upfront we need better coverage from the back seven.

Advertisement
Back