Pac 12 Players Asking for 50% of revenue to play this year

Advertisement
Lets be clear. Students can't be removed from school for refusing playing football or any other sport. Scholarships could be revoked, but not during this pandemic.
Ummm, I dunno my man; if the school is giving u a ride based upon a sport u no longer are planning to play, I believe they can.

Scholarships are contractural financial agreements; so its either u keep up ur GPA, not get caught cheating (academic scholarships), not get arrested for misdemeanor or felonies (academic & athletic scholarships) or fulfill all requirements to continue to merit an athletic scholarship. Pretty sure “playing” would fall under that category.

Unless things have changed, i thought Athletic scholarships are thee least dependable ride through school as they have to be renewed every season, which means as an athlete, u r reviewed for on the field and off the field (including classroom) activities to see if u still merit a scholly.

Unless things have changed, i thought Athletic scholarships are thee least dependable ride through school as they have to be renewed every season, which means as an athlete, u r reviewed for on the field and off the field (including classroom) activities to see if u still merit a scholly.

Maybe off the field issues like getting in trouble with the law, but a coach can't take away a scholarship for athletic performance.

Advertisement
i skipped through the thread so don't know if it's been posted, but I always wonder, when discussing paying college athletes gets brought up, if they realize a HUGE chunk of the Universities athletics operate in the RED on a normal basis.. how are schools that operate in the red going to pay players???? FIU is one close by......

The Pac 12 players should have red Trump's book, The Art of The Deal. They should have demanded 60% of gross revenues and settled four 50%.

To even reply to this post is beneath me, but I want to give you the chance to re-respond in a more coherent manner
Of course it is. Been awhile since I re-responded...will you allow a re-re-response if necessary?
FB5E7964-4EF9-4E9F-8020-5BDEB9DC236A.png

Advertisement
Easy, get rid of the sports that don't bring in a profit to the athletic dept....simple.

If you shared an apartment with let's say 3 other people, would you pay all of the bills because you made the most money?
Which means only football and men’s basketball remain. And violates title IX. Which is counter to what they are trying to accomplish

Easy, get rid of the sports that don't bring in a profit to the athletic dept....simple.

If you shared an apartment with let's say 3 other people, would you pay all of the bills because you made the most money?
I'm not disagreeing with your thought process. My point was we'd lose 75% of the NCAA schools for sports. FIU, FAU, etc on that level couldn't field any sports at all, including football. So we'd just be left with the top 30 wealthiest schools in all of NCAA sports.

You really think that these top end guys wouldn't be doing something else? By the way, the "They get a scholarship" argument is garbage because of the fact that the educations they receive are sketchy at best. Most of these schools have NO intention of truly educating these kids. If they did, they would expect the typical incoming student athlete to have a similar academic profile to the rest of the student body. They don't. If it was truly about education, then the UNC basketball program wouldn't exist today. That program had a decades long run of institutionally supported academic fraud, no punishment whatsoever from the NCAA or the ACC.

There's a reason why people don't line up to watch NAIA or FCS ball. It's because no one gives a **** about second and third tier athletes. These top end athletes know that they have some leverage and while they may have overreached, they are doing something they should have done decades ago. College sports is the ONLY industry in which everyone else gets paid, EXCEPT for the labor. You aren't finding these athletes on every corner, you sure as **** aren't finding the high end guys working at the five and dime.
For those of you who really want players to get paid and advocate for it, you’ve taken a pretty shallow dive at the big picture. Think it through.

Advertisement

Are you aware that UM competes in 14 sports and only 2 are profitable? Are you aware of the Title IX implications of your suggestion? Are you really okay with telling people they can't have a scholarship so a football player can get paid?

So if colleges were to pay, the the offer of a scholarship can become a full contract. No more leaving early without penalty, graduation is a requirement. These things can work both ways so be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.
They can then pay for their own tuition, room, board ,books, pay taxes on that income, be subject to fines like the pros,etc

Advertisement
Of course it is. Been awhile since I re-responded...will you allow a re-re-response if necessary?View attachment 125489
Was arguing with my girl and drinking last night. Kindly ignore any post after 8pm or so.

Anyways...

Ummm, I dunno my man; if the school is giving u a ride based upon a sport u no longer are planning to play, I believe they can.

Scholarships are contractural financial agreements; so its either u keep up ur GPA, not get caught cheating (academic scholarships), not get arrested for misdemeanor or felonies (academic & athletic scholarships) or fulfill all requirements to continue to merit an athletic scholarship. Pretty sure “playing” would fall under that category.

I did say they could be revoked. Just not during the pandemic. The reason is that a player can opt out of playing because he doesn't want to expose himself to Covid-19. Schools have said that any student athlete not wanting to participate because of concerns of Covid-19 will keep their scholarship.

Also, most schools have gotten rid of the 1 year scholarship renewal. However, not participating outside of Covid-19, I'd expect to be a deal breaker.

Are you really okay with telling people they can't have a scholarship so a football player can get paid?

Athletic departments are doing that now. Get rid of all or most of the sports that are annually in the red and bring in sports that have profit potential. I mean when's the last time that you sat down and watched UM Cross Country?...or UM Rowing? Nobody watches that $h!t. I know I'll watch UM Softball...or UM Wrestling, BTW wrestling's big in Dade. And the NCAA needs to look at adding new sports, like MMA for example.

Last edited:
So if colleges were to pay, the the offer of a scholarship can become a full contract. No more leaving early without penalty, graduation is a requirement. These things can work both ways so be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.
remember when ND came under fire when (holtz I think it was) said they couldn’t compete because They didn’t have enough blacks because their admissions standards were to stringent. After that ND definitely got blacker and started winning. Point is, the colleges have no leverage. They can they can add all that into their contract/scholarship and they’ll get an athlete willing to sign that contract.

Advertisement
Back