Our Safeties

Anyone else but me get ****ed last night when Blades tipped a ball that hung in the air for a long time and Bolden, instead of keeping head up and intercepting the pass, went for the wrecking ball take out of the receiver?
If it is the play I think you are talking about, Bolden had already started to go in for the tackle and actually timed it very well were he would have hit him as soon as the ball got to the receiver if it hadn't been tipped.

Advertisement
I could probably make this about mostly all our DBs (inclusive of Corners, sans Couch), but there’s enough of that going on. I’ll focus on the Safeties right now because I’ve been a big supporter of some of them, been hard on some others, and it’s the position group I watch most on Defense.

They had a tough time last night on multiple levels. I want to be clear that how we play defense does the individual Safeties close to zero favors.

Bolden - he’s been hailed as the boss back there and many have him leaving to be a Top 3 round pick in the NFL draft. He’s had some issues getting guys on the ground in key moments two weeks in a row. If he were to leave now, I think it’d be a mistake. But, since supposedly that’s his plan, he needs to turn it around fast in the last 5 games.

Hall - Most of you know this is a guy I’ve had high hopes for. Before yesterday’s game, I told D$ I didn’t understand why he sometimes seemed hesitant. He was far from a hesitant player coming in. On a TD yesterday, he let the eligible receiver cross his face and didn’t move till it was too late. Almost like he would be punished otherwise. I don’t get it.

Carter - I’ve been hardest on Amari because I think the coaches often have him playing in spots poorly suited for Amari’s attributes. You got a glimpse of it last night when he covered an inside WR and basically couldn’t change direction quickly enough so he put both hands on him (call wasn’t made and pass went to another WR down the sideline). That being said, he was actually MORE solid last night than the others. And, congrats on not getting a targeting call, I guess. They need to use Amari in subpackages and get him blitzing and rolling downhill into runs. Playing in Palms against spread formations means he has to basically play Corner sometimes against a really quick inside WR. That’s not the kid’s fault when he’s unable. That’s a playcall issue.

Frierson - sure ‘striker,’ but many times in a SS or Rover role, so lumping him in here. One of the few dudes making football plays and made a couple to the sideline yesterday to save much bigger gains. Would love it if we celebrated less, but whatever. Do you.

K. Smith - if I were running the defense, id create more than a couple packages to keep him and Frierson in the game together as much as possible. NC state actually gave us this opportunity last night by repeatedly splitting out their TE, etc. Use this dude as a spy, as a blitzer, and any position where he can just make football plays for a defense that desperately needs it.

All in all, these players are playing beneath what I believe is their potential. I’m not in the Hecht, so I have no idea if it’s preparation or mindset or the fact the defensive calls put incredible pressure on the Safety position.

Something has to give soon. The defense needs a reset. Hope to see it this upcoming week against VT. Hope it begins with letting our Safeties use their instincts or whatever helps them snap out of that zombie look that is sometimes apparent.
It's simple man, the way baker calls the defense the whole secondary jeopardized. That **** NC St. was running on offense was nothing complicated at all, and to make .aters worst, his guy baker runs the same **** every game, e don't disguise nothing on defense and are as predictable as their is out their. Both baker and diaz dont use the safeties in the best of positions based on their scheme but diaz runs this defense I've system way better than baker ever will which is the main problem.

When a d-co comes to UM and keeps running all these one blitzes, it wastes the real TRUE talent of our players, also if you look at our defensive alignments, it's almost always incorrect based on the offensive formations, our guys are consistently at a disadvantage pre-snap! Secondaries normally perform better when they are in a rhythm, going from man to zone to soft man will ***** up a secondary almost everytime down here, something blake baker doesnt understand, also he makes to many scared calls that's why he keeps calling all that soft coverage ****. Here is the difference with a legit d-co:

Frierson - sure ‘striker,’ but many times in a SS or Rover role, so lumping him in here. One of the few dudes making football plays and made a couple to the sideline yesterday to save much bigger gains. Would love it if we celebrated less, but whatever. Do you.
He's been getting a lot of positive buzz and rightfully so but last night was his worst game this season from an instincts and mental processing standpoint. He was responsible for some of the chunk gains in the 1st half.

Gurvan Hall might be my biggest disappointment of any player on team. I expected him to be the next Kenny Phillips, Brandon Merriweather, etc for us. He is closer to Robert Knowles, AJ Highsmith, Vaughan Telamaque to me and that hurts.

Advertisement
He looks like a different player since Clemson. He was making plays everywhere against Louisville FSU and Clemson. Hasn’t made a standout play in 3 games. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he is playing hurt.

Dude **** sure is playing hurt. **** did u see how he looked after every game. Me personally i think he should come back and add 5-8 pounds to his frame and sure up his tacklingf deficiencies. He's not a big hitter...he mainly dives at legs and has been doing so since high school. But he is a guy that covers a lot of ground in the back end and has good football iq.

**** near every kid on defense gets a pass from me because I know they ain't being coached worth a ****.

Watch Hall's eyes on the touchdown he gave up. He allowed the WR to beat him across his face BECAUSE HIS EYES WERE ON THE QUARTERBACK!
****, our whole back-7 plays this way.
Want further proof?

TELL ME THE LAST TIME YOU SAW A MIAMI DEFENDER BREAK ON A BALL FOR A PBU IN ZONE COVERAGE.

I'm not talking about a deep ball, I'm talking about intermediate throws.
Very seldom are there tight throwing windows versus this defense. (in zone coverage)

We are a STARE AT THE QB and BREAK ON THE BALL style of zone.

That's why our DB's are always a step or two away from the WR/ball in zone coverage.
If we're gonna do this fvckery in zone then I rather just play man all fvckin' day. Nothing irritates me more than watching WR's catch balls 5 feet away from our (able and capable) defenders. IT'S FRUSTRATING AND IT'S PREVENTABLE!

And Bolden is a paper tiger.
A lot of talk, very little substance lately. The "hit" he made on NC-State's WR coming over the middle was absolutely pathetic.
How do you hit a DEFENSELESS receiver and YOU get knocked down? SMH. He bounced off that NCST WR like he was Megatron or some ****. Embarrassing.
No led in his pencil. #LightSkinNinjas

Advertisement
i think bolden is okay breaking on the ball... he would have had a PBU vs nc st on the play mentioned earlier in the thread but blades got there first (and didn't catch the ball). not necessarily disagreeing w/ you just thinking out loud. in general he's aggressive when moving forward. bolden's problems to me are in man coverage, he just hasn't been very good. he got exposed vs louisville when ppl were busy calling him a first round pick, altho some of that was bad scheming asking him to cover atwell. i assume his tackling will correct itself. he's still only playing his first full season, there will be some ups and downs, he has to figure out how to maintain his body, stay healthy etc.

ppl in here are complaining about fierson talking too much or whatever, but he's clearly the emotional/vocal leader of the defense. he's asked to play the entire game in space and will prob give up some plays but he's also been the most consistent playmaker in the back 7 this year and it isn't particularly close.

Advertisement
Bolden has regressed the last 3 games

Hall is a HUGE disappointment this year and seems useless on the field. Haven’t seen him make 1 impactful play all year

Carter has missed half of the season due to targeting and is playing out of position

And Frierson talks too much

Overall our scheme, play calling and coaching sucks and we’re wasting more talent

this post really makes you appreciate the duo of Juaquan Johnson and Sheldrick Redwine -- who probably aren't the level of athletes that Bolden and Hall are...
I’d kill to have that duo back over what we’ve seen, but then again it’s the scheme. We had talented guys look like *** in Doritos system

idk what happend to hall it looks like he pops a zan before the game .. hes not electric at all its pretty sad

Carter should be a linebacker.

Bolden - The best out of what we have

Advertisement
not a good look for banda and rumph to not be putting any of these kids in the 1st round

also.. was happy to see that tyson campbell still looks like he doesn't lift weights so at least its not just our program

However Rique is a stud

Ive seen the same thing dam near, I have been saying for weeks that Bolden tackling is a concern because he likes to dive and just chicken wing it at times but these last couple weeks he seems to be a little hesitant or slow footed with bad angles and not even in position to even try that.. Like he under estimates opponents speed and they go right by him.

Hall is just a mess, lol.. That punt return is an all timer, on one he has one guy to beat and if he does has alot of field, punt returners are usually told you have to beat one man, this guy is not that type of playmaker, so of course he gets tackled with ease then the one he drops and scoops up, if he just uses the momentum to move forward its no harm no foul, we get ball near 30, this dude runs backwards like he is Devin Hester vs Duke when he hasnt shown that type of ability or speed, of course its a loss and he is tackled with ease and laughed off the field.. Goofy

Carter played one of his better games, that pass breakup down the field is probably one of natural plays by DB all year, these guys usually panic or dont make the play.

Agree with getting both Frierson and Smith on field, we can be rigid with these positions but they both are athletic and seem like good open field tacklers
When deficiencies are widespread you look for a common denominator. What is their other than coaching? Development, preparation and scheme.

Hall is entering JAG territory, Bolden has regressed since the early part of the year, and Carter is below average (in how we use him).

Which is demoralizing because it seems to take some experience before the safeties excel in this system (JJ and Redwine) but that hasn’t happened yet despite all of these guys playing a lot the last few years.

Help is on the way though in Avantae, James Williams, and Kinchens.

Advertisement
Back