Our Safeties

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
I could probably make this about mostly all our DBs (inclusive of Corners, sans Couch), but there’s enough of that going on. I’ll focus on the Safeties right now because I’ve been a big supporter of some of them, been hard on some others, and it’s the position group I watch most on Defense.

They had a tough time last night on multiple levels. I want to be clear that how we play defense does the individual Safeties close to zero favors.

Bolden - he’s been hailed as the boss back there and many have him leaving to be a Top 3 round pick in the NFL draft. He’s had some issues getting guys on the ground in key moments two weeks in a row. If he were to leave now, I think it’d be a mistake. But, since supposedly that’s his plan, he needs to turn it around fast in the last 5 games.

Hall - Most of you know this is a guy I’ve had high hopes for. Before yesterday’s game, I told D$ I didn’t understand why he sometimes seemed hesitant. He was far from a hesitant player coming in. On a TD yesterday, he let the eligible receiver cross his face and didn’t move till it was too late. Almost like he would be punished otherwise. I don’t get it.

Carter - I’ve been hardest on Amari because I think the coaches often have him playing in spots poorly suited for Amari’s attributes. You got a glimpse of it last night when he covered an inside WR and basically couldn’t change direction quickly enough so he put both hands on him (call wasn’t made and pass went to another WR down the sideline). That being said, he was actually MORE solid last night than the others. And, congrats on not getting a targeting call, I guess. They need to use Amari in subpackages and get him blitzing and rolling downhill into runs. Playing in Palms against spread formations means he has to basically play Corner sometimes against a really quick inside WR. That’s not the kid’s fault when he’s unable. That’s a playcall issue.

Frierson - sure ‘striker,’ but many times in a SS or Rover role, so lumping him in here. One of the few dudes making football plays and made a couple to the sideline yesterday to save much bigger gains. Would love it if we celebrated less, but whatever. Do you.

K. Smith - if I were running the defense, id create more than a couple packages to keep him and Frierson in the game together as much as possible. NC state actually gave us this opportunity last night by repeatedly splitting out their TE, etc. Use this dude as a spy, as a blitzer, and any position where he can just make football plays for a defense that desperately needs it.

All in all, these players are playing beneath what I believe is their potential. I’m not in the Hecht, so I have no idea if it’s preparation or mindset or the fact the defensive calls put incredible pressure on the Safety position.

Something has to give soon. The defense needs a reset. Hope to see it this upcoming week against VT. Hope it begins with letting our Safeties use their instincts or whatever helps them snap out of that zombie look that is sometimes apparent.

Advertisement
Advertisement
High hopes for Bolden earlier in the season, but he's struggled badly last couple of games. Kudos to Carter for not falling prey to another targeting call. He actually had a decent game.
He looks like a different player since Clemson. He was making plays everywhere against Louisville FSU and Clemson. Hasn’t made a standout play in 3 games. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he is playing hurt.

Ive seen the same thing dam near, I have been saying for weeks that Bolden tackling is a concern because he likes to dive and just chicken wing it at times but these last couple weeks he seems to be a little hesitant or slow footed with bad angles and not even in position to even try that.. Like he under estimates opponents speed and they go right by him.

Hall is just a mess, lol.. That punt return is an all timer, on one he has one guy to beat and if he does has alot of field, punt returners are usually told you have to beat one man, this guy is not that type of playmaker, so of course he gets tackled with ease then the one he drops and scoops up, if he just uses the momentum to move forward its no harm no foul, we get ball near 30, this dude runs backwards like he is Devin Hester vs Duke when he hasnt shown that type of ability or speed, of course its a loss and he is tackled with ease and laughed off the field.. Goofy

Carter played one of his better games, that pass breakup down the field is probably one of natural plays by DB all year, these guys usually panic or dont make the play.

Agree with getting both Frierson and Smith on field, we can be rigid with these positions but they both are athletic and seem like good open field tacklers

One of the things I said earlier in the year was bolden is somehow our best and worst player on defense. Doesn’t seem to be given as much of the rover responsibility as of late either which is the only time he excelled. He’s a pretty poor true safety and would excel if played like Harrison smith of the Vikings more

Advertisement
Bolden looked slow and timid last night. Shoulder tackles, ducking low, etc... The guy played his worst game of the season by far.

Hall has not impressed for a long time. Both of these guys are plus athletes and last night they sure didn’t look it.

Carter is who he is, an aggressive guy who likes to play physical and is not a great cover guy.

I think Smith has huge potential and should see the field more, just not over Frierson ever. Frierson is the best player in the back 7 and shouldn’t leave the field. Just get Jennings and Mccloud off the field

With this teams ability not to understand who to cover or their responsibilities to go along with bad safety and bad linebacker play I’d be fine with Carter, Smith, and Frierson all playing linebacker positions and not safety or striker. If they are all going to be lost, indecisive, and timid we might as well get the guys out there who can catch players when they or their teammates blow assignments.

I could probably make this about mostly all our DBs (inclusive of Corners, sans Couch), but there’s enough of that going on. I’ll focus on the Safeties right now because I’ve been a big supporter of some of them, been hard on some others, and it’s the position group I watch most on Defense.

They had a tough time last night on multiple levels. I want to be clear that how we play defense does the individual Safeties close to zero favors.

Bolden - he’s been hailed as the boss back there and many have him leaving to be a Top 3 round pick in the NFL draft. He’s had some issues getting guys on the ground in key moments two weeks in a row. If he were to leave now, I think it’d be a mistake. But, since supposedly that’s his plan, he needs to turn it around fast in the last 5 games.

Hall - Most of you know this is a guy I’ve had high hopes for. Before yesterday’s game, I told D$ I didn’t understand why he sometimes seemed hesitant. He was far from a hesitant player coming in. On a TD yesterday, he let the eligible receiver cross his face and didn’t move till it was too late. Almost like he would be punished otherwise. I don’t get it.

Carter - I’ve been hardest on Amari because I think the coaches often have him playing in spots poorly suited for Amari’s attributes. You got a glimpse of it last night when he covered an inside WR and basically couldn’t change direction quickly enough so he put both hands on him (call wasn’t made and pass went to another WR down the sideline). That being said, he was actually MORE solid last night than the others. And, congrats on not getting a targeting call, I guess. They need to use Amari in subpackages and get him blitzing and rolling downhill into runs. Playing in Palms against spread formations means he has to basically play Corner sometimes against a really quick inside WR. That’s not the kid’s fault when he’s unable. That’s a playcall issue.

Frierson - sure ‘striker,’ but many times in a SS or Rover role, so lumping him in here. One of the few dudes making football plays and made a couple to the sideline yesterday to save much bigger gains. Would love it if we celebrated less, but whatever. Do you.

K. Smith - if I were running the defense, id create more than a couple packages to keep him and Frierson in the game together as much as possible. NC state actually gave us this opportunity last night by repeatedly splitting out their TE, etc. Use this dude as a spy, as a blitzer, and any position where he can just make football plays for a defense that desperately needs it.

All in all, these players are playing beneath what I believe is their potential. I’m not in the Hecht, so I have no idea if it’s preparation or mindset or the fact the defensive calls put incredible pressure on the Safety position.

Something has to give soon. The defense needs a reset. Hope to see it this upcoming week against VT. Hope it begins with letting our Safeties use their instincts or whatever helps them snap out of that zombie look that is sometimes apparent.
My son and I asked each other after the game... Did Bolden even play in the second half?

Anyone else but me get ****ed last night when Blades tipped a ball that hung in the air for a long time and Bolden, instead of keeping head up and intercepting the pass, went for the wrecking ball take out of the receiver?

Maybe other coordinators are figuring those guys weaknesses and attacking them (Manny talked about guys watching their bad tapes during the bye)...unlike our coaches that don’t seem to game plan anyone til the 4th quarter

Advertisement
Maybe other coordinators are figuring those guys weaknesses and attacking them (Manny talked about guys watching their bad tapes during the bye)...unlike our coaches that don’t seem to game plan anyone til the 4th quarter
It’s pretty straightforward. Have 2 eligible receivers close to each other then move apart. Half the time one will be wide open because often this defense and these players somehow don’t know what coverage schemes are.

I have been posting since week 1 that it is asinine to be subbing Gilbert and K. Smith. they need to be playing together. We don't have any creativity in our coaching staff.

Lu the safeties are bad.

Hall- terrible. regression and he's second-guessing himself. He definitely needs to come back.

Bolden- suspect tackler and low IQ last few games, failed to push out safety and bad tackling against uva. Poor angle on the Blades CB blitz, bad technique on the Hockman throwback pass

Carter- you said it best just glad he actually got a chance to play a game completely shocked me

Frierson- agreed talks way too much trash and still makes silly mistakes, giving up his blitz position 10 minutes before the snap. Can he take the next step and make some of his teammates better and hold them accountable?

Smith- I still haven't seen him make enough plays. He gets an incomplete for me

Advertisement
I m not a huge Banda fan but I’ve seen him develop a couple of our safeties. He hasn’t done that with this group. Which is shocking because hall is best safety prospect we’ve signed in a long time. Haven’t given up hope on him but he hasn’t progressed

We are in desperate need of athletes like a Avantae Williams and James Williams in the back end.
Agree something doesn’t seem right with the current group of safeties.

Ive seen the same thing dam near, I have been saying for weeks that Bolden tackling is a concern because he likes to dive and just chicken wing it at times but these last couple weeks he seems to be a little hesitant or slow footed with bad angles and not even in position to even try that.. Like he under estimates opponents speed and they go right by him.

Hall is just a mess, lol.. That punt return is an all timer, on one he has one guy to beat and if he does has alot of field, punt returners are usually told you have to beat one man, this guy is not that type of playmaker, so of course he gets tackled with ease then the one he drops and scoops up, if he just uses the momentum to move forward its no harm no foul, we get ball near 30, this dude runs backwards like he is Devin Hester vs Duke when he hasnt shown that type of ability or speed, of course its a loss and he is tackled with ease and laughed off the field.. Goofy

Carter played one of his better games, that pass breakup down the field is probably one of natural plays by DB all year, these guys usually panic or dont make the play.

Agree with getting both Frierson and Smith on field, we can be rigid with these positions but they both are athletic and seem like good open field tacklers
The biggest complaint I have about Diaz (sans Baker) is the lack of accountability for plays like that.

Ivey against GT last year - shouldn't have seen the field again that day. He was in next play.

Hall shouldn't return PRs again after that play.

Advertisement
Back