Our oline is not that bad as we think it is.

Advertisement
Big issue with our OL is our staffs inability to determine who our best players are and where they should be playing. How the **** did they ever think 55 was a Tackle, why did it take them so long to see that Scaife was our best pass blocking Tackle, and what the **** where they thinking all year with the LG possition too?

We were very bad running the ball against anyone with a pulse on defense or on the road.

Also, is the scheme the reason for all the false start/holding penalties that killed drives during the 4 game losing streak?

FSU: 2.2 yards a rush
LSU: 2.4 yards a rush
@BC: 4.3 yards a rush
@GT 4.5 yards a rush
@UVA: 5.1 yards a rush (take away Homer's 70 yard run and its 2.8 yards a rush)

These numbers are atrocious, regardless of scheme.

We were very bad running the ball against anyone with a pulse on defense or on the road.

Also, is the scheme the reason for all the false start/holding penalties that killed drives during the 4 game losing streak?

FSU: 2.2 yards a rush
LSU: 2.4 yards a rush
@BC: 4.3 yards a rush
@GT 4.5 yards a rush
@UVA: 5.1 yards a rush (take away Homer's 70 yard run and its 2.8 yards a rush)

These numbers are atrocious, regardless of scheme.
Curious how you came up with those averages unless you included Perry/rosier runs and sack yardage which goes against yards per rush

Advertisement
We're not a traditional running team, and that's okay.. Design your play calls around this. A bubble screen is essentially a hand off.

Use your hand offs strategically the way you take your shots downfield.

Be creative. We have the hogs to compete at a high level.

Check online forums and it's rare to find any college or pro fan base that doesn't whine about its offensive line. There is no greater commonality.

Dolphin fans use it to excuse Ryan Tannehill year after year. He's the next great thing if he merely had a subpar offensive line instead of Turnstile Twins everywhere.

Bottom line, offensive lines cannot vary as much as we prefer to believe. There are 5 players out there at all times. That in itself lends to sameness, far beyond quarterback where one guy can be light years above someone else. You don't really need to study anything to understand the basic logic that a position with 3 players varies less than 1 but more than 5, and so forth.

Again, more often than not. Much more often than not. You always have the geniuses who scramble for outliers, as if they hold any meaning whatsoever.

NFL offensive lines will vary less than college, for the obvious reason that a common draft produces nationwide parity to greater dependability than regional factors and 30/85 scholarships.

The Canes will have offensive line talent very comparable to other schools on the same basic tier that we have occupied for the past dozen years or so, the programs with recruiting annually in the 8-20 range as a rule.

Big issue with our OL is our staffs inability to determine who our best players are and where they should be playing. How the **** did they ever think 55 was a Tackle, why did it take them so long to see that Scaife was our best pass blocking Tackle, and what the **** where they thinking all year with the LG possition too?

In year 1 they didn’t figure out the right OL combination until after we lost 4 god **** games in a row, but it was year 1.

This year they rotated way too many guys around and it hurt us, among other things.

I hope by now they realize Donaldson needs to remain at Guard and they need to find another tackle between Campbell Herbert and Hillary. I don’t have faith in George Brown based on reports.

Gaynor will be a big upgrade at C and will bring more nastiness.

Boulware is definitely more athletic but he was in the dog house. I’m hoping Reed wins the job here.

Regardless they need to leave camp with their starting OL and stick to it. Spring and summer is more than enough tim to find the right 5

Who’s of this agreement with me?

When people say we don’t run a qb friendly or receiver friendly offense to maximize their talent that same notion definitely applies to the oline IMO. How many times did richts predictable non creative offense exploit their weaknesses in obvious situations? You are a coordinator you are supposed to scheme and work around their faults. The constant 3rd and 1 same plays, draws up the middle, all verticals, lack of motion in the offense to make the defense account for a side of the field and unclog some of that in the middle by taking them out of that in the play. Bottom line put them in a position to succeed... This isn’t a post to defend Searels because I defintiely Think he needs to go regardless but just been thinking about the success we have had recently when we have spread the defense out. Miami finished the season #23 in the country in yards per rush with 5.19 a rush. Roman alluded to it on twitter the other day too. It’s deeper beyond a talent issue, this scheme was the biggest detriment of the season rather than their play imo but we all knew that hopefully richt understands this

This is why in today’s age of football the system is very important, you all think a team like ucf or Memphis has a better oline in terms of talent than Miami? No but the system they run helps erase any edge Miami has in talent compared to those two teams and thus the difference in performance.

Now on to next year we lose Tyree(he was terrible early on this year but has settled down recently) and gaultheir(he’s been terrible all year). We do get back scaife who looks pretty good now especially lately, Donaldson has made some impactful blocks specifically in the run game the last few games he just need to be more consistent, boulware imo has been good when he’s played this year although he hasn’t been playing as much as he was in that stretch earlier on in the season.

I think The oline might be solid next year
Lt Scaife(will he move over there?), george Brown
Lg Boulware/Cleveland reed
C Gaynor
Rg Donaldson , hillery
Rt Campbell, Herbert(will he take the next step?
Oline development is obviously at a different pace than other positions. Should see a leap in guys game like Herbert and hillery which will be great for us especially if Herbert can take the right tackle spot. I like Campbell’s ability a lot there too.

For what its worth, I agree that the talent is there. Its the inability to get the most out of that talent that concerns me.

In my brief defense of Searels, I pointed out that he was the only coach responsible for identifying, recruiting, coaching & naming 5 starters. By comparison, the secondary was split between 2 coaches, same as linebacker.

The talent is there. But man.. This is still going to come down to their development.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Who’s of this agreement with me?

When people say we don’t run a qb friendly or receiver friendly offense to maximize their talent that same notion definitely applies to the oline IMO. How many times did richts predictable non creative offense exploit their weaknesses in obvious situations? You are a coordinator you are supposed to scheme and work around their faults. The constant 3rd and 1 same plays, draws up the middle, all verticals, lack of motion in the offense to make the defense account for a side of the field and unclog some of that in the middle by taking them out of that in the play. Bottom line put them in a position to succeed... This isn’t a post to defend Searels because I defintiely Think he needs to go regardless but just been thinking about the success we have had recently when we have spread the defense out. Miami finished the season #23 in the country in yards per rush with 5.19 a rush. Roman alluded to it on twitter the other day too. It’s deeper beyond a talent issue, this scheme was the biggest detriment of the season rather than their play imo but we all knew that hopefully richt understands this

This is why in today’s age of football the system is very important, you all think a team like ucf or Memphis has a better oline in terms of talent than Miami? No but the system they run helps erase any edge Miami has in talent compared to those two teams and thus the difference in performance.

Now on to next year we lose Tyree(he was terrible early on this year but has settled down recently) and gaultheir(he’s been terrible all year). We do get back scaife who looks pretty good now especially lately, Donaldson has made some impactful blocks specifically in the run game the last few games he just need to be more consistent, boulware imo has been good when he’s played this year although he hasn’t been playing as much as he was in that stretch earlier on in the season.

I think The oline might be solid next year
Lt Scaife(will he move over there?), george Brown
Lg Boulware/Cleveland reed
C Gaynor
Rg Donaldson , hillery
Rt Campbell, Herbert(will he take the next step?
Oline development is obviously at a different pace than other positions. Should see a leap in guys game like Herbert and hillery which will be great for us especially if Herbert can take the right tackle spot. I like Campbell’s ability a lot there too.

Our OL is ******* terribly inconsistent

The OL looks bad against any team that has a pulse on the DLine. They look halfway decent vs teams like Va Tech & Pitt at the end of the season when the games don't really matter.

Put the tape on vs LSU, vs BC, vs Duke etc., they're average at best & below average on the regular.

Corch Seashells is an awful OL coach & our offensive scheme doesn't make it any easier on our OL by constantly putting them in positions to do things they literally can't do.

Everybody is always pushing this "better next year" fairytale, but as long as guys like Jon Richt & Seashells are still coaching their positions there's not going to be much development.

Fans are just repositioning themselves back into the same place they were in coming into this season. Yall will delude yourselves into believing then you'll be let down because you tricked yourself into falling for the same old stupid sh*t every season, followed by making the exact same excuses & blaming players, fans & injuries. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Advertisement
From a very high-level perspective to keep this short, the tackles were pretty good overall. Not great, but certainly not awful.

The guards were pretty brutal all year. Especially LG. That revolving door was never solved.

And Gauthier was a disappointment as a senior center.

All in all, the pieces around them did not help them AT ALL. The shuffling in and out (coaching), the QB play (players), and the scheme (coaching) all failed them tremendously. But if you guys think the OL was the root of the problem for this offense, you're wrong. It's QB play & scheme as 1 and 1A, and OL play as #2. A good play-caller goes 11-1 with this same exact team. Literally. Replace Mark Richt this past January with Kendal Briles, and this team goes 11-1. Furthermore, if N'Kosi Perry started every game this season, this team is probably 10-2, even with Richt being as clueless as he was.

The OL looks bad against any team that has a pulse on the DLine. They look halfway decent vs teams like Va Tech & Pitt at the end of the season when the games don't really matter.

Put the tape on vs LSU, vs BC, vs Duke etc., they're average at best & below average on the regular.

Corch Seashells is an awful OL coach & our offensive scheme doesn't make it any easier on our OL by constantly putting them in positions to do things they literally can't do.

Everybody is always pushing this "better next year" fairytale, but as long as guys like Jon Richt & Seashells are still coaching their positions there's not going to be much development.

Fans are just repositioning themselves back into the same place they were in coming into this season. Yall will delude yourselves into believing then you'll be let down because you tricked yourself into falling for the same old stupid sh*t every season, followed by making the exact same excuses & blaming players, fans & injuries. Wash, rinse, repeat.
Since when is duke a team that matter and was that not the best rushing performance they had all year?

the rbs were both over 4 ypc respectively against FSU which is not great but not terrible either and that’s with LSU defense being completely healthy.

And the post wasn’t saying that our oline is elite, I’m pointing out the fact how this offensive scheme and coach richt in terms of playcalling does nothing to help them succeed imo which makes them look much worse. You can’t say that same rationale for the receivers or qb and then dont think it applies here on the oline either. It don’t work like that

Since when is duke a team that matter and was that not the best rushing performance they had all year?

the rbs were both over 4 ypc respectively against FSU which is not great but not terrible either and that’s with LSU defense being completely healthy.

And the post wasn’t saying that our oline is elite, I’m pointing out the fact how this offensive scheme and coach richt in terms of playcalling does nothing to help them succeed imo which makes them look much worse. You can’t say that same rationale for the receivers or qb and then dont think it applies here on the oline either. It don’t work like that
They couldn't pass protect & have struggled for 3 years with that, partly because we don't call quick passing plays getting the ball out of the QB's hands faster.

And I literally said the Offensive scheme makes more difficult on the OL. The whole point of my comment was that they're bad because they aren't put in a position to be any good & they're not being developed under Seashells. Read.

Advertisement
Back