Our oline is not that bad as we think it is.

brock

All-American
Who’s of this agreement with me?

When people say we don’t run a qb friendly or receiver friendly offense to maximize their talent that same notion definitely applies to the oline IMO. How many times did richts predictable non creative offense exploit their weaknesses in obvious situations? You are a coordinator you are supposed to scheme and work around their faults. The constant 3rd and 1 same plays, draws up the middle, all verticals, lack of motion in the offense to make the defense account for a side of the field and unclog some of that in the middle by taking them out of that in the play. Bottom line put them in a position to succeed... This isn’t a post to defend Searels because I defintiely Think he needs to go regardless but just been thinking about the success we have had recently when we have spread the defense out. Miami finished the season #23 in the country in yards per rush with 5.19 a rush. Roman alluded to it on twitter the other day too. It’s deeper beyond a talent issue, this scheme was the biggest detriment of the season rather than their play imo but we all knew that hopefully richt understands this

This is why in today’s age of football the system is very important, you all think a team like ucf or Memphis has a better oline in terms of talent than Miami? No but the system they run helps erase any edge Miami has in talent compared to those two teams and thus the difference in performance.

Now on to next year we lose Tyree(he was terrible early on this year but has settled down recently) and gaultheir(he’s been terrible all year). We do get back scaife who looks pretty good now especially lately, Donaldson has made some impactful blocks specifically in the run game the last few games he just need to be more consistent, boulware imo has been good when he’s played this year although he hasn’t been playing as much as he was in that stretch earlier on in the season.

I think The oline might be solid next year
Lt Scaife(will he move over there?), george Brown
Lg Boulware/Cleveland reed
C Gaynor
Rg Donaldson , hillery
Rt Campbell, Herbert(will he take the next step?
Oline development is obviously at a different pace than other positions. Should see a leap in guys game like Herbert and hillery which will be great for us especially if Herbert can take the right tackle spot. I like Campbell’s ability a lot there too.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I agree, the OL was average...Got better as year progressed. Is it a need? Yes...Does it need to take the next step? Yes

QB play is the biggest problem for the offense right now, there are others...But QB is the main problem.

You can't tell angry mobs anything.
If we are ranking performance at each position on the year the oline outperformed both the qb and receivers imo. I just Think they need a better offensive system to overcome their deficiencies

I agree, the OL was average...Got better as year progressed. Is it a need? Yes...Does it need to take the next step? Yes

QB play is the biggest problem for the offense right now, there are others...But QB is the main problem.

You misspelled "coaching".

Advertisement

I agree they got better as the season went on. Especially when they put Donaldson back in his natural position and Scalife was able to get enough PT.

Agree 1000%.

Scheme and playcalling have worked against the line, as have apparent shoddy line coaching. When I see a lineman standing up like there’s a stick in his *** I gotta think he’s not being taught technique.

There’s def a talent issue too, no doubt, but the game planning needs to take into consideration who the player are.

Advertisement
WTF happened to Donaldson?
Doesn’t have the bend to play tackle and isn’t consistent enough. Needs to work on his technique a lot this offseason work on mental errors on the field. I think That applies to all of the line. Also getting him down to in the 325 range will be good for him as well

The O-line looked improved within those spread concepts in those last two games. Zone blocking is most definitely not their strong suit. I expect the line to be much improved next year based solely on the addition of the young kids. The scheme is still the biggest problem on that side of the ball. Along with finding a semi consistent QB.

Advertisement
When’ u get whipped for 3 and half quarter against this yeaRS FSU...
Look at the scheme, SAMFORD just weeks prior had FSU on the ropes and was throwing the ball all through the middle of their secondary and deep as was everyone they had played until Miami and after yet richt comes out trying to establish the run. Yet we come out like we are afraid to throw the ball and like we were playing some elite secondary. Again put your players in the best position to succeed, that applies to all the skill positions and certainly imo to the oline as well

Advertisement

Reasonable people can argue which problem of the 2 was the bigger... but those problems need to be schemed around. That’s the band aid the team needed until the talent improves.

When’ u get whipped for 3 and half quarter against this yeaRS FSU...

There was nothing wrong with the FSU DL this year, and yeah they gave us fits, but a lot of that was Perry too, he missed WR all over the field for 3 quarters and looked like a deer in headlights when he did get pressured. ...Unless you meant just overall and on the scoreboard? Well that was all special teams, FSU had 200 yards of offense.

I’ve been critical but at the same time tried to be patient with this whole offensive line/QB/play calling mess.

Next season will be it for me. He will have Perry in his third year in his “system”, Williams in his second. Donaldson will be in his third year at his best position, Scaife with experience at RT and his own recruits with 2-3 years of getting bigger and learning.

Not to mention the experience all the freshmen picked up this year. All of them should be faster, stronger, better route runners and have steadier hands.

If CMR can’t do it offensively next year, it’s over for him.

Advertisement
Back