Our OL on the Move in '23

So, let me start off by writing that I'm strongly in the camp of "pass or threaten to pass to setup the run" for our program. For many reasons, but that's a separate topic. What that means is I believe in often spreading the field by formation, threatening a vertical attack, and manipulating the defense's numbers. Light boxes make for easier work, obviously. But, I don't intend to make this a thread about our pass attack. We'll save that for later, maybe.

All of that said, an offline convo got me thinking about particular run game strategies I'm actually excited about watching this upcoming season. I'm one of those who cautiously believes our starting OL gives us an advantage in the vast majority of our games. With some luck and health, you'll likely see one of the most talented iOLs in the conference flanked by sufficiently athletic Tackles - one of them being a True Frosh (Mauigoa) who would be an elite athlete by NFL OL standards.

So what does that make me think in terms of the run game? I would love to see our OL on the move (sometimes).

I've sloppily put together this screenshot, and I'll explain (it's just for the purposes of having a diagram to reference):

View attachment 251362

I took a screenshot of one of my favorite plays to see coaches breakdown from an offensive system (WingT) I played in and defended in practice. Above, you'll see a variation of the 121 Buck Sweep.

I've removed TVD from under center and put him in the 'Gun. I removed the 'FB' and added Harrell or George as Flanker(s). I've inserted Ray Ray as a motion wingback, though he'd likely come from the slot.

Most importantly to this thread's theme - Running game and OL on the move - I've capitalized Lee and Mauigoa. Why? Because I've watched them pull and work in space. And, would love to see more of that with this group. On this play, it's a variation of the Buck Sweep where the coordinator pulls the Center and Tackle (as opposed to, for example, the two Guards).

Now, there's an added element to this diagram: you see Cohen's (backside Guard) action intentionally pull a LB away from the playside action. All of that stuff is just for fun (of the post).

The core of the thread I hope to start here is about plays - counters, traps, powers, screens, etc. - that get some very athletic OL in space. I know a bunch of you played and have some strong thoughts on run game diversity. Would love to see others add in comments or even plays they'd like to see.

Again, I cautiously say we have a strength: starting OL and some decent blocking TEs in Arroyo and Cam. We also have a couple speedsters in Ray Ray and Smith who can play in the motion game.

Let's use it. It's officially football season.
We're pulling more than we have because these guys have beautiful footwork, timing and instincts to aggressively find a block - in short a vastly improved OL. In the past the Canes OLs pulled without much aggression or speed and looked confused or ran by defenders needing to be blocked. Even a causal observer should be able to see the symmetry when two of them are pulling, the pace, shoulder and hit placement on the turn, all the while headhunting for someone to unload on with some attitude.

I understand where you're trying to go, but I bet in the next three weeks we see some interesting wrinkles to showcase the run game. We've been saving some of the game plan for this run, so why show it if we didn't need to? But if I were a DC, watching the Canes OL whip out of a stance get down the line and to the point of attack, that would greatly concern me. So far they have shown the can pass block, run block and bring the pain to the perimeters.

Advertisement

Seen this one a few times. GT Counter opposite the hback.

For those that know more than me, why are our G and T responsibilities inverted on this play? Several times already this year ive seen the guard into the second level, running right passed the end defender before the tackle kicks him out.

me and @San Amaro Dr was talking about this the other day. But we seem to be bypassing the spiller lately. I think teams try to "wrong shoulder" so hard they are taking themselves out of the scheme.

me and @San Amaro Dr was talking about this the other day. But we seem to be bypassing the spiller lately. I think teams try to "wrong shoulder" so hard they are taking themselves out of the scheme.
Taking on blocks with the "Wrong Shoulder" is an old strategy. It still works if teams are hellbent on running inside. It "spills" the runner outside, so that the fast guys can fly downhill to get to the ball carrier. Nowadays with all these spread type offenses, it usually just gets you pinned inside. This is where getting handoffs from the shotgun helps you. It gives the runner more time, more space, and the angle needed to see the OL pin the "spiller", so that the runner can escape outside. Space is the enemy of defense.

Seen this one a few times. GT Counter opposite the hback.

For those that know more than me, why are our G and T responsibilities inverted on this play? Several times already this year ive seen the guard into the second level, running right passed the end defender before the tackle kicks him out.

They are countering the counter so to speak. Think of this in terms of gaps. Traditionally, the guard blocks C gap and the tackle turns up in B gap. The defenders have flipped their responsibilities here so the OL has blocked it accordingly. Most teams would log the spiller and turn up outside of that block. Very cool wrinkle.

Taking on blocks with the "Wrong Shoulder" is an old strategy. It still works if teams are hellbent on running inside. It "spills" the runner outside, so that the fast guys can fly downhill to get to the ball carrier. Nowadays with all these spread type offenses, it usually just gets you pinned inside. This is where getting handoffs from the shotgun helps you. It gives the runner more time, more space, and the angle needed to see the OL pin the "spiller", so that the runner can escape outside. Space is the enemy of defense.
As you mentioned, spilling is a scheme but to the field or 2/3 man surfaces presents problems. I'm sure @Coach Macho has an opinion on it.

So far, Mirabal and co. have shown some pretty cool variations of counter and some pin n pull concepts to go along with the traditional IZ everyone runs. I'm sure we will see more as the season progresses.

Advertisement
As you mentioned, spilling is a scheme but to the field or 2/3 man surfaces presents problems. I'm sure @Coach Macho has an opinion on it.

So far, Mirabal and co. have shown some pretty cool variations of counter and some pin n pull concepts to go along with the traditional IZ everyone runs. I'm sure we will see more as the season progresses.
most definitely! Ween seen all of they tricks, yet.

We're pulling more than we have because these guys have beautiful footwork, timing and instincts to aggressively find a block - in short a vastly improved OL. In the past the Canes OLs pulled without much aggression or speed and looked confused or ran by defenders needing to be blocked. Even a causal observer should be able to see the symmetry when two of them are pulling, the pace, shoulder and hit placement on the turn, all the while headhunting for someone to unload on with some attitude.

I understand where you're trying to go, but I bet in the next three weeks we see some interesting wrinkles to showcase the run game. We've been saving some of the game plan for this run, so why show it if we didn't need to? But if I were a DC, watching the Canes OL whip out of a stance get down the line and to the point of attack, that would greatly concern me. So far they have shown the can pass block, run block and bring the pain to the perimeters.
The post you quoted was written approximately 6 weeks ago. It was a projection of what I imagined we’d see. We’ve seen it. A lot. As you said, I imagine we’ll continue to see more of it.

Headhunting and actually blocking the right guy. A great block on the wrong guy may look pretty but it isn't worth ****. Give me a half *** block on the right guy and we have something. We are making great blocks on the right guys and it is showing up big time.

Advertisement
Headhunting and actually blocking the right guy. A great block on the wrong guy may look pretty but it isn't worth ****. Give me a half *** block on the right guy and we have something. We are making great blocks on the right guys and it is showing up big time.
For 15 years it was seldom either. And having played the position for 10 years, IMO blocking anybody is better than not blocking i.e. cutbacks (plays don't always go where they're designed to, so get a helmet on somebody). Used to be an old saying, "When in doubt; fire out" in other words hit somebody. I'm assuming you watched a lot of the same games I did - like at LSU. Our guards standing there watching LBs blitz right by them - maybe they weren't supposed to block inside - but being uncovered and letting your QB take a direct hit? That just not good OL genetic wiring.

McVay talked about this concept when he came to the Hecht to give a clinic.

Versus defenses that squeeze hard and "spill", they like to influence the spill, and instead of trying to kick him out, the O-lineman runs around him and blocks the overhang defender. The DE basically ends up taking himself out of the play. Genius stuff.

For 15 years it was seldom either. And having played the position for 10 years, IMO blocking anybody is better than not blocking i.e. cutbacks (plays don't always go where they're designed to, so get a helmet on somebody). Used to be an old saying, "When in doubt; fire out" in other words hit somebody. I'm assuming you watched a lot of the same games I did - like at LSU. Our guards standing there watching LBs blitz right by them - maybe they weren't supposed to block inside - but being uncovered and letting your QB take a direct hit? That just not good OL genetic wiring.
I agree. But inside zone, outside zone there are rules to follow. Same for pass pro. These breakdowns might be some scheme issues but so much of it has been communication problems. Again, I am just telling you what I coached. Mirabal's guys understand the play and understand the defense and what is in front of them and are making the right decisions. This is a higher level of athlete and very intelligent and obviously well coached.

The post you quoted was written approximately 6 weeks ago. It was a projection of what I imagined we’d see. We’ve seen it. A lot. As you said, I imagine we’ll continue to see more of it.
The OP is even more interesting now when you add a human wrecking machine in Cooper to the equation

Advertisement
The OP is even more interesting now when you add a human wrecking machine in Cooper to the equation
I've always figured he'd be in the mix as one of the monsters on the move. He did pretty solid work last season even though he was a True Frosh and probably 40 pounds heavier than he is now.

I didn't play OL nor do I understand the tiny nuances like others on here do, but I really appreciate what we're watching. That stuff is sometimes artwork.

I've always figured he'd be in the mix as one of the monsters on the move. He did pretty solid work last season even though he was a True Frosh and probably 40 pounds heavier than he is now.

I didn't play OL nor do I understand the tiny nuances like others on here do, but I really appreciate what we're watching. That stuff is sometimes artwork.
I feel the same way. It’s like watching one organism out there functioning together

Last year reading Lances breakdowns were always an extra gut punch because I don’t really understand the complexities of OL and he would just highlight the glaring mistakes that honestly felt pretty correctable. Kinda like the constant blown assignments on defense

I’m seeing the same kinda thing on defense with Guidry he’s just lacking some key players right now so it’s not looking as smooth

I love watching the pin and pull running plays. We have plays where C, G or T pull at different times. Cam McCormick has also been huge this year.

Riley Williams looked good against Temple. Hopefully we will be able to get all 3 (Arroyo) into the game in different sets.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back