Our OL on the Move in '23

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
So, let me start off by writing that I'm strongly in the camp of "pass or threaten to pass to setup the run" for our program. For many reasons, but that's a separate topic. What that means is I believe in often spreading the field by formation, threatening a vertical attack, and manipulating the defense's numbers. Light boxes make for easier work, obviously. But, I don't intend to make this a thread about our pass attack. We'll save that for later, maybe.

All of that said, an offline convo got me thinking about particular run game strategies I'm actually excited about watching this upcoming season. I'm one of those who cautiously believes our starting OL gives us an advantage in the vast majority of our games. With some luck and health, you'll likely see one of the most talented iOLs in the conference flanked by sufficiently athletic Tackles - one of them being a True Frosh (Mauigoa) who would be an elite athlete by NFL OL standards.

So what does that make me think in terms of the run game? I would love to see our OL on the move (sometimes).

I've sloppily put together this screenshot, and I'll explain (it's just for the purposes of having a diagram to reference):

Screen Shot 2023-08-16 at 12.18.03 PM.png

I took a screenshot of one of my favorite plays to see coaches breakdown from an offensive system (WingT) I played in and defended in practice. Above, you'll see a variation of the 121 Buck Sweep.

I've removed TVD from under center and put him in the 'Gun. I removed the 'FB' and added Harrell or George as Flanker(s). I've inserted Ray Ray as a motion wingback, though he'd likely come from the slot.

Most importantly to this thread's theme - Running game and OL on the move - I've capitalized Lee and Mauigoa. Why? Because I've watched them pull and work in space. And, would love to see more of that with this group. On this play, it's a variation of the Buck Sweep where the coordinator pulls the Center and Tackle (as opposed to, for example, the two Guards).

Now, there's an added element to this diagram: you see Cohen's (backside Guard) action intentionally pull a LB away from the playside action. All of that stuff is just for fun (of the post).

The core of the thread I hope to start here is about plays - counters, traps, powers, screens, etc. - that get some very athletic OL in space. I know a bunch of you played and have some strong thoughts on run game diversity. Would love to see others add in comments or even plays they'd like to see.

Again, I cautiously say we have a strength: starting OL and some decent blocking TEs in Arroyo and Cam. We also have a couple speedsters in Ray Ray and Smith who can play in the motion game.

Let's use it. It's officially football season.

Advertisement
So, let me start off by writing that I'm strongly in the camp of "pass or threaten to pass to setup the run" for our program. For many reasons, but that's a separate topic. What that means is I believe in often spreading the field by formation, threatening a vertical attack, and manipulating the defense's numbers. Light boxes make for easier work, obviously. But, I don't intend to make this a thread about our pass attack. We'll save that for later, maybe.

All of that said, an offline convo got me thinking about particular run game strategies I'm actually excited about watching this upcoming season. I'm one of those who cautiously believes our starting OL gives us an advantage in the vast majority of our games. With some luck and health, you'll likely see one of the most talented iOLs in the conference flanked by sufficiently athletic Tackles - one of them being a True Frosh (Mauigoa) who would be an elite athlete by NFL OL standards.

So what does that make me think in terms of the run game? I would love to see our OL on the move (sometimes).

I've sloppily put together this screenshot, and I'll explain (it's just for the purposes of having a diagram to reference):

View attachment 251362

I took a screenshot of one of my favorite plays to see coaches breakdown from an offensive system (WingT) I played in and defended in practice. Above, you'll see a variation of the 121 Buck Sweep.

I've removed TVD from under center and put him in the 'Gun. I removed the 'FB' and added Harrell or George as Flanker(s). I've inserted Ray Ray as a motion wingback, though he'd likely come from the slot.

Most importantly to this thread's theme - Running game and OL on the move - I've capitalized Lee and Mauigoa. Why? Because I've watched them pull and work in space. And, would love to see more of that with this group. On this play, it's a variation of the Buck Sweep where the coordinator pulls the Center and Tackle (as opposed to, for example, the two Guards).

Now, there's an added element to this diagram: you see Cohen's (backside Guard) action intentionally pull a LB away from the playside action. All of that stuff is just for fun (of the post).

The core of the thread I hope to start here is about plays - counters, traps, powers, screens, etc. - that get some very athletic OL in space. I know a bunch of you played and have some strong thoughts on run game diversity. Would love to see others add in comments or even plays they'd like to see.

Again, I cautiously say we have a strength: starting OL and some decent blocking TEs in Arroyo and Cam. We also have a couple speedsters in Ray Ray and Smith who can play in the motion game.

To modernize what you are showing here, this would be a pin n pull OZ scheme rather than true buck sweep which is a 2 back play (FB has to account for backside A gap). The pullers are predicated on the front in this scheme.

I do agree with the athleticism of this group and pull could be a strength. Personally, I would love to see more dart concepts which is a 1 back version of iso. Your pulling tackle replaces the fullback in this case. I would imagine Francis is really good in open space. Link for reference.

To modernize what you are showing here, this would be a pin n pull OZ scheme rather than true buck sweep which is a 2 back play (FB has to account for backside A gap). The pullers are predicated on the front in this scheme.
Right. I mentioned in the post I wanted to [sloppily] use the diagram for a quick reference so Canes fans could see our guys [sorta] lined up, but you can even see in the diagram the FB (i scratched off) headed into the A gap.

My goal of that particular screenshot was to show how we can pull more than just the Guards. And, specifically in our case, I believe our Center and RT are particularly suited for it (so I grabbed a 121 Buck Sweep variation).

Again, with the theme of OL pulling and moving, here's a "simple" trap play that would likely fit our iOL well.

Screen Shot 2023-08-16 at 1.23.14 PM.png

I'm curious to see what Dawsom/Mirabal/Cristobal decide are the best priorities for our specific run game.

I've not been to any Fall practices this year. For example, will we run much Zone scheme?

Personally, I would love to see more dart concepts which is a 1 back version of iso. Your pulling tackle replaces the fullback in this case. I would imagine Francis is really good in open space. Link for reference.

This probably deserves its own section of the thread:

How else can we use Mauigoa's agility? For example: screen game.

Advertisement
View attachment 251362

easy gif1692207316585.gif

Miami gonna be fyzical bro.

Miami gonna establish alpha male dominance upfront.

The run establishes the pass bro.

3rd and 3 ain't shizznizzle bro.

#PoundTheEmpenadaUntilTheySubmit

Watching Cohen's and Lee's film suggest they are (at least were) stone walls as OL assets last year....and they can pull/go 2nd level (especially Cohen) with consistency.

It's this critical trait that allows the RBs to at least fall forward by 1-2 yds, let alone burst through the hole and gain real yardage. This has been missing from Miami for years and years.

Imagine if 2022 Miami converted 50% more of their stuffed/non-factor runs for enabling yardage to move the chains? Our Canes are probably an 8-win team last season, maybe 9.

I'm hopeful this OL shows us what can be possible for this year and beyond.

Cohen and Lee (with Mags learning) could be program changers in opening up our Canes' run game no matter what plays are dialed up.

Allen's/Parrish's burst should make some Ds pay in chunk plays. Fletcher should posterize a few one-on-one players for the next 3 years.

Last edited:
Some notes I had after watching some Dawson tape in another thread a while back:

-----

Watched the Tulane and UTSA game.

Ton of inside zone vs Tulane's 4 man front, a lot more outside vs UTSA's 3 man front.

Some traps here and there. G/H Counter mixed in. No counter trey whatsoever unfortunately (Big fan of GT/Counter Trey)

Really not a ton of creativity in the run game. Pretty straight forward stuff

----

Give to the jet^

From the few games ive seen now, Dawson LOVES this play.

Probably have to go HB counter with TVD. (The majority of the time Tune followed the GT pulling on this play) I do not want to see him try and run a counter lol

So far this is the only way i've seen Dawson run GT.
----

I did see a lot more GT Counter in the spring game than I saw Dawson running at Houston, which I love

I did see a lot more GT Counter in the spring game than I saw Dawson running at Houston, which I love

Think that's really well-suited to our personnel. Let me see if I can dig up any clips.

Advertisement
I’m just looking for something positive this year to build on for years to come. I hope we are all surprised by the degree of improvement with the O line. The versatility strength and finesse of the line being able to open up the play book more would be paramount to a winning season.

Some notes I had after watching some Dawson tape in another thread a while back:

-----

Watched the Tulane and UTSA game.

Ton of inside zone vs Tulane's 4 man front, a lot more outside vs UTSA's 3 man front.

Some traps here and there. G/H Counter mixed in. No counter trey whatsoever unfortunately (Big fan of GT/Counter Trey)

Really not a ton of creativity in the run game. Pretty straight forward stuff

----

Give to the jet^

From the few games ive seen now, Dawson LOVES this play.

Probably have to go HB counter with TVD. (The majority of the time Tune followed the GT pulling on this play) I do not want to see him try and run a counter lol

So far this is the only way i've seen Dawson run GT.
----

Came to this thread to post something similar - good stuff. I love Xs/Os threads like this, I did see a more diverse run game in his Southern Miss days than at UH. One thing I do want to comment on is the screen game. When I did my breakdown of Dawson's offense I made mention that there were at least half a dozen varieties of screen in his playbook. Traditional RB screens but also WR quick screens, tunnel, bubble, jailbreak, throwback - just a lot. I think Lu's comment about using our mobile OL in the screen game is gonna be huge.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Came to this thread to post something similar - good stuff. I love Xs/Os threads like this, I did see a more diverse run game in his Southern Miss days than at UH. One thing I do want to comment on is the screen game. When I did my breakdown of Dawson's offense I made mention that there were at least half a dozen varieties of screen in his playbook. Traditional RB screens but also WR quick screens, tunnel, bubble, jailbreak, throwback - just a lot. I think Lu's comment about using our mobile OL in the screen game is gonna be huge.

Would be interested in seeing the success rate on those WR screens the last couple years at Houston. From what I remember those were really successful and got me excited about some of our speed at WR picking up some easy chunks. (Kirk?)

Seen this one a few times. GT Counter opposite the hback.

For those that know more than me, why are our G and T responsibilities inverted on this play? Several times already this year ive seen the guard into the second level, running right passed the end defender before the tackle kicks him out.

Advertisement
Back