Our Offense and the Offensive Philosophy Sucks. Enos on The Clock

The slow developing plays is a result of the lack of team speed. Overall we need more foot speed.
Lack of speed where? The offensive line? Thomas, Harley, Wiggins and Pope are pretty much the fastest guys on the team.

Advertisement
Am I the only one not feeling our offense? It seems like we went back into time. Here are my questions and concerns

Why are we running a I-Formation with slow play action?

What is the purpose of being under center with play action that is extremely slow. Just get in a shotgun

Why does it take sooooo long just to get a play called. Can we speed up the pace?

We have Jeff Thomas, Pope, Hartley and Osborn but we run a power T offense and not get our speedsters in space?

What are we trying to do on offense? What is our identity?
We basically run the same offense Alabama runs. Do you think their offense went back into time? All about execution and the guys up front.

1. The offense continues to improve and he's done well with the QB, but i'd like to see Njoku, Mallory, Wiggins and Hightower get more 1 on 1 jump-ball opportunities in the Redzone.

2. PA holds LBs and Ss; the slower developing the longer they hold, but problem is the OL don't hold their blocks well.

3. I'd like to see more tempo as well, but it's game 3 and we have several rookies at critical positions starting in a brand new offensive system. I'm sure Enos will speed things up once kids have demonstrated a little more mastery and comfort.

IMO, our offense is well-designed to put our guys in 1 on 1 situations if everyone executes their assignments. That's what I see, and there's nothing wrong with the fundamental design. You have to project these young men to where they will be, while to trying to win and get better each week. I think we've had some tough losses, but kids are getting better.
#1 is spot on. If we ad the jump ball to our redzone ****nal that can really take us to the next level. From this point forward we have to get touchdowns in the red zone because with Baxa even chip shots arent a given.

We basically run the same offense Alabama runs. Do you think their offense went back into time? All about execution and the guys up front.
Alabama doesn't go under center nearly as much as we do. They also have a dominant offensive line that we don't. I generally like Enos so far but what he's calling here is not the Locksley offense they ran last year at Bama or the Sarkeesian offense they're running this year. It's closer to what Enos ran at Arkansas but updated.

I was wondering yesterday where the shifts and momentum where in the first. But then began seeing them more as the game progressed.
I will say I felt like the play calls were very vanilla vs what we have seen so far this year.
As they should be against Bethune Cookman, no reason to open up the playbook too much.

Advertisement
Am I the only one not feeling our offense? It seems like we went back into time. Here are my questions and concerns

What is the purpose of being under center with play action that is extremely slow. Just get in a shotgun

Why does it take sooooo long just to get a play called. Can we speed up the pace?

We have Jeff Thomas, Pope, Hartley and Osborn but we run a power T offense and not get our speedsters in space?

Oh look. Canesman2's second account.

Running games been set up for explosive plays.

An offense that couldn't complete a pass, now can't incomplete passes.

2/3 of Enos' time at Arkansas saw great redzone %s. It'll come. The offense is starting to get that 2015 Arkansas where you felt like any pass play we run is going to be completed and only getting better. My worries have shifted to defense, and remain on ST.

We've played two bad defenses. FSU has played one. FSU averages almost double PPG as we do. Good OC, wrong scheme.
tenor (4).gif

Advertisement
Yall haven't seen a good Offensive scheme in so long you forgot what it look like. Our offense is being held back by

1) Newness of the system to the players
2) Poor/inexperienced OL.

Ask yourself this, when you watch Ohio St, Bama, Clemson, UGA....the recent regular playoff teams, when they play mid range teams does their QB run for his life? No they stand back their for weeks scanning and dissecting defenses like UNC's. Look what Clemson did to GT.

Do you see the gaping holes their RBs have? We have some talented OL. But they are quite young where few are able to play as FR in general. Its especially difficult when you have 2 or 3 underclassmen in your lineup.

Our defense is actually a bigger problem now than the offense. Giving up big plays and such. But that's mainly because we have 3 new starters in the secondary.

Yall haven't seen a good Offensive scheme in so long you forgot what it look like. Our offense is being held back by

1) Newness of the system to the players
2) Poor/inexperienced OL.

Ask yourself this, when you watch Ohio St, Bama, Clemson, UGA....the recent regular playoff teams, when they play mid range teams does their QB run for his life? No they stand back their for weeks scanning and dissecting defenses like UNC's. Look what Clemson did to GT.

Do you see the gaping holes their RBs have? We have some talented OL. But they are quite young where few are able to play as FR in general. Its especially difficult when you have 2 or 3 underclassmen in your lineup.

Our defense is actually a bigger problem now than the offense. Giving up big plays and such. But that's mainly because we have 3 new starters in the secondary.
So no banners then?

Legitimate thread albeit not presented well. I agree with the questions/criticisms about pace, slow PA and identity. I don't think there's anything wrong with an under center system though. The Patriots have had the best play action passing game for years because they run a variety of run concepts from under center (like Miami) and they (Brady) are very efficient at selling the run fake quickly and resetting to hit the in-breaker (usually Gronk or Edelman) behind the sucked-in LBs. We have the potential to do that but the plays are executed too slow and the design isn't as simple or consistent.

Shotgun RPOs effectively do the same thing as the aforementioned under center play action, just not as well. We just need to integrate run and pass better and play with better pace before and after the snap.

Advertisement
Legitimate thread albeit not presented well. I agree with the questions/criticisms about pace, slow PA and identity. I don't think there's anything wrong with an under center system though. The Patriots have had the best play action passing game for years because they run a variety of run concepts from under center (like Miami) and they (Brady) are very efficient at selling the run fake quickly and resetting to hit the in-breaker (usually Gronk or Edelman) behind the sucked-in LBs. We have the potential to do that but the plays are executed too slow and the design isn't as simple or consistent.

Shotgun RPOs effectively do the same thing as the aforementioned under center play action, just not as well. We just need to integrate run and pass better and play with better pace before and after the snap.
This has been a staple in their offense for as long as I've hated them:

vNE_Bush_PA.gif

Running games been set up for explosive plays.

An offense that couldn't complete a pass, now can't incomplete passes.

2/3 of Enos' time at Arkansas saw great redzone %s. It'll come. The offense is starting to get that 2015 Arkansas where you felt like any pass play we run is going to be completed and only getting better. My worries have shifted to defense, and remain on ST.
/End website.

It..... takes.... time.

All anyone should be looking for is week to week progression.

New QB
New Line
New Scheme
New Plays
new, new new.

You know why depth and stability is so important? It so everyone can learn the complete playbook. Not just 50%. The entire offense is new. Everything you want and more will come once they perfect the entry level stuff.

Imagine you get a new boss and he wants you to unlearn everything you were taught before, learn new methods, trust the new methods, rely on everyone else in accounting, hr, marketing etc, to execute the new methods, but, also run out there and be the face of your company. None of this apprenticeship crap. I guarantee you and your team are going to make mistakes and more. If I had one concern so far through the three games it would be that it seems our offense starts a bit slow before it gets going. Christ I'm surprised jarren hasn't thrown 6 int already. Especially at the Florida game.

As others said. Defense and the kicking game is of more concern. I want to see more progression on Offense and I want to see Defense put in another solid performance against Directional Michigan and then in our next two ACC match ups. Then we can talk. Right now the o seems to be making major steps forward while the d has been making tiny steps backwards. Maybe that's Baker getting more adjusted to life at UM. However, its hard to call that right now. They held BC to 0 points and they didn't cross the 50 until the last play. That does mean something. If you remember even the last few years there were moments where we looked silly even playing the "high school" teams. That **** wasn't clean regardless of who was at the helm.

I get all of the emotions. Its just if you want to be the Patriots, Clemson, Alabama. You need to take care of all of the stuff behind the curtains that nobody sees. Its not a video game.

Advertisement

The first thing you want too see from an oc is, whether or not his play-calling is predictable or not, so far, coach enos has done a solid job of not being predictable.

Next, can he make in game adjustments, ill give coach enos a pass on that for now, cause he's learning who can really Trust in game situations, as the year goes on, he'll understand how to better utilize the players that fits his play-calling the best.

Against the gaytors and Unc, he clearly was mainly going with who he trusted, as the season progresses, this offense is definitely on track to really start giving teams problems, the on key component that this offense is missing and its the one thing, people can criticize coach richt for several things but the one thing he cant be criticize for, his offense always had the bug play element to it and put fear in defenses for it. Right now coach enos offense im sure its their, and jarren hasnt pulled the trigger on it enuff, but it should be their consistently.

You asked about the I-formation plays, as this o-line becomes more consistent, go to the :59 sec mark of this video and look what happens to the linebackers and safety, our running game is legit, so they have to honor it, but watch the space it creates for the passing game:

I do like the fact that Enos ran a couple of plays against Bethune out of a heavy set where he used max protect and had basically a two man pattern. If Jarren has time, our receivers will get open deep. We don't necessarily need to have 5 options on every pass call.

Guess which 2 player stats are these with highly comparable schedules.

Player 1 : 59/97, 831 yards, 60.8%, 8.7 avg, 5 TD's, 5 ints.

Player 2: 68/93, 777 yards, 73.1%, 8.4 avg, 6 TD's, 0 ints.

Advertisement
Back