Our Offense and the Offensive Philosophy Sucks. Enos on The Clock

Advertisement
I don't think anyone is expecting the Saints offense, but it can certainly be better. And yes, you can complain about the OL and expect a better offense. Part of the OL's struggles can be attributed to the play calling (slow developing plays, not running the ball enough first 2 weeks, overall not putting them in a position to succeed).

The biggest issue with the OL was that the coaches felt Nelson and Campbell at T would hold up off of Greentree. I have a bigger problem with our personnel evaluations than I do with the play calling.

However the offense lines up, you never know what play is about to be run. Complete 180 from last year.

Having to play 2 tight ends isn't ideal but that's because the O line is young. Once the O line is where it needs to be, we can play more receivers.

I would like to see the receivers pushed out much wider. This pulls the corners, safeties, and outside linebackers away from the box and opens the running lanes. Maybe Enos is waiting for a better O line.

I'm concerned about the player evaluations based on the offseason scrimmages but at least the coaches have continued making changes.

I'm very concerned that Baker is donofrio-2.0. The D line isn't attacking upfield, and the D backs are playing soft. Maybe its youth, but I can realistically see Manny having to take over the defense at some point. That LaTech **** wont fly here. We aren't going to force turnovers by containing the QB and playing far off the receivers.

However the offense lines up, you never know what play is about to be run. Complete 180 from last year.

Having to play 2 tight ends isn't ideal but that's because the O line is young. Once the O line is where it needs to be, we can play more receivers.

I would like to see the receivers pushed out much wider. This pulls the corners, safeties, and outside linebackers away from the box and opens the running lanes. Maybe Enos is waiting for a better O line.

I'm concerned about the player evaluations based on the offseason scrimmages but at least the coaches have continued making changes.

I'm very concerned that Baker is donofrio-2.0. The D line isn't attacking upfield, and the D backs are playing soft. Maybe its youth, but I can realistically see Manny having to take over the defense at some point. That LaTech **** wont fly here. We aren't going to force turnovers by containing the QB and playing far off the receivers.

I hate to say it but I'm concerned about the same thing. I'm nowhere near a technical football analyst but seeing Hill, Garvin, Patchan standing up at the end of the line is giving me chills in a very very bad way.

Advertisement
"Enos is on the clock" Man. I have to love the expectations by our fanbase. "National Title or bust!" STFU and watch a football game. Or stop watching all together. Clemson promoted their WR coach without National Title demands from its fanbase. Stop it.

Because Clemson only won 1 title before Dumbo, we won 5, so of course we have National Championship expectations. And yes, Manny and/or Enos is on the clock.

I'm still not a fan of the I formation stuff. I wanted a guy who would spread it out a bit more and keep our speedy receivers on the field. That said, I like a lot of what Enos does. He uses a ton of formations with shifts and motion all over the place. He has shown a ton of creative ways to get play makers in position to make plays. I can't argue with his results with Jarren either. I still don't think we have the line that can just line up in power sets and run it right at a defense but I do like the progress they're showing. The deep pass to Pope was great. Two tight ends and a fullback, everything screams run, send your one receiver deep for an easy big gain.

I’m not either but I guess as long as we don’t run predictable up the middle dives out of it over and over, I’m ok with it as a change up every now and again. I just don’t want it to be our central MO....

I was wondering yesterday where the shifts and momentum where in the first. But then began seeing them more as the game progressed.
I will say I felt like the play calls were very vanilla vs what we have seen so far this year.
I imagine against Bethune Cookman, that was as that was needed. My take on the Bethune Cookman game was (a) making the starters feel more comfortable with their assignments through repetition (it's still a pretty new system to them), and (b) getting reps to the younger players (giving them a chance to play loose without the game being on the line like at UNC).

In a good scheme, you can be vanilla without being predictable if you vary the play calling pattern.

Last edited:
why are you guys complaining about the offense. It’s has been significantly better than last year. We can actually move the ball down the field this year.
Most don't care about winning, they want to be titillated. It's all about splash plays.

Advertisement
Advertisement
1. The offense continues to improve and he's done well with the QB, but i'd like to see Njoku, Mallory, Wiggins and Hightower get more 1 on 1 jump-ball opportunities in the Redzone.

2. PA holds LBs and Ss; the slower developing the longer they hold, but problem is the OL don't hold their blocks well.

3. I'd like to see more tempo as well, but it's game 3 and we have several rookies at critical positions starting in a brand new offensive system. I'm sure Enos will speed things up once kids have demonstrated a little more mastery and comfort.

IMO, our offense is well-designed to put our guys in 1 on 1 situations if everyone executes their assignments. That's what I see, and there's nothing wrong with the fundamental design. You have to project these young men to where they will be, while to trying to win and get better each week. I think we've had some tough losses, but kids are getting better.

Last edited:
I’m not either but I guess as long as we don’t run predictable up the middle dives out of it over and over, I’m ok with it as a change up every now and again. I just don’t want it to be our central MO....
I think whole philosophy is to create uncertainty and, has been said, take defense out of its comfort zone. What UNC did to us on 4th and 17. Because we do so many things, it is also complex for our offensive players, especially younger ones. And it is new for all our players.

We need to be patient.

Advertisement
With a freshman qb, one junior on the ol and a starting true freshman LT, this guy is killing it! If you can’t see the progression from week to week and his ability to scheme, you need to find something else to watch on Saturdays.
Tell it like it is.

I'm a WHOLE LOT happier because THIS OFFENSE is MUCH BETTER than last year's offense.

So its definitely a step in the right direction

Can it stand a lot of improvement? ( Faster pace, better adjustments, long passes etc etc.) ....WITHOUT A DOUBT

But Let's see how it unfolds over the entire year before we pass judgement......remember 3 games, new coach, new coordinator, new offense, new QB

So....

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back