Our non-conference schedules for 2022 and beyond

Advertisement
@Temple in 2023?? Are you ******* kidding me? BJ should have been fired simply on that atrocity alone. Rad should call them up and tell them we're not coming and they have two options: 1-come play us here; or 2-**** off and lose our phone number.

I could be wrong but I think we owe them that game. Also it's something we do every once in a while, play a game up North for the NY/NJ/PA/CT/MA alumni. I got no problem smacking them around and getting a cheesesteak once a decade.

This isn't NCAA Football on the PS3 where you have 4 name programs on your OOC slate every year. The perfect Miami OOC Schedule is as follows(4 OOC games per season assumed)

1 Rent A Victim(FCS, preferably a Florida HBCU)
1-2 Solid P5/High end Midmajors
1 Name Opponent(SC, UF, Notre Dame, etc)

That ensures that you have a challenging OOC slate , but it isn't suicide either.

I also have no problem with Miami going up to Appalachian State , Toledo or Temple and playing. If a FBS team is willing to come to Miami, Miami should be down to pay them a visit eventually. Never mind the fact that it's ***** made to always want to stack the deck in your favor, it makes financial sense. Why pay for someone to come down twice, when you know that the fans won't show up, when you can save that money, go up to their house and beat their *** anyway? It also honors our heritage, we were once that program that wanted a chance. I have no problem with Miami repaying the favor. If Miami is competently managed, those games should still be beatdowns.

No. Home games produce much higher revenue than small school road games. You only do a 2 for 1 with schools like that, or a 1-0. You want 7 home games a year.

Advertisement
2019: We lost the "Battle of Miami"

We need to do better this time

As long as FIU doesn't fake any injuries, we should be fine.

I don't care that Butch left Miami, screwed up in Cleveland, or got unfairly blamed at UNC. The only thing I've ever been ****ed about with Butch is that injury-faking bullcrap.

Advertisement
No. Home games produce much higher revenue than small school road games. You only do a 2 for 1 with schools like that, or a 1-0. You want 7 home games a year.
The problem is that it doesn't create revenue for us like that. Miami fans have shown for the better part of 4 decades that they won't show up for mediocre conference games, much less mediocre OOC games. Keep in mind, you end up cutting said opponent a check to come down, which cuts into the profits as well. If you travel up, you don't have to cut that check.

This isn't Ohio State or Alabama where people will spend good money to watch their team stomp a midmajor out. There are also other considerations, including the fact that playing on the road can be a positive for a team.

Jimmy Johnson loved scheduling a solid midmajor or major conference team on the road, because it got you further with pollsters and it gave you an opportunity to see what your team can do. Nothing is better than coming up to some school, where this game is their Super Bowl and beating the living **** out of them.

The problem is that it doesn't create revenue for us like that. Miami fans have shown for the better part of 4 decades that they won't show up for mediocre conference games, much less mediocre OOC games. Keep in mind, you end up cutting said opponent a check to come down, which cuts into the profits as well. If you travel up, you don't have to cut that check.

This isn't Ohio State or Alabama where people will spend good money to watch their team stomp a midmajor out. There are also other considerations, including the fact that playing on the road can be a positive for a team.

Jimmy Johnson loved scheduling a solid midmajor or major conference team on the road, because it got you further with pollsters and it gave you an opportunity to see what your team can do. Nothing is better than coming up to some school, where this game is their Super Bowl and beating the living **** out of them.

Yes, I know that when there are more people in the seats, it generates more money. :)

But a mediocre crowd at home generates more money than going on the road, ESPECIALLY to a lower level program that probably has a much cheaper ticket price and a small stadium anyway. How much do you think that small school with that small stadium can guarantee Miami to come up? They don't deal with P5 budgets. Their game days are a financially smaller event than ours. Then subtract our travel expenses. Miami rolls deep on the road.

You do better financially having a home game. MOST IMPORTANTLY, you are including that game in all of your season ticket packages, so even if there is mediocre turnout, the actual ticket revenue is higher. You made enough money on that game before summer even started than you'd get going to any G5 opponent.

I understand your JJ point, and don't disagree. But that's a different conversation, it's not part of our financial discussion. Staying off-topic, there is a lot less wear and tear on the team by having a home game vs going on the road. Most HC's want as many home games as they can get. Road games cut into practice, classes, you have these jumbo athletes cramped in small seats, etc. Sometimes schools get as many as eight home games, which is absurd.

This is why the 2 for 1's make a lot more sense for your semi-cupcake games. You get a decent deal on the guarantee rate you have to pay your opponent to come twice (and btw, they have been skyrocketing lately), and you repay that by giving them their super bowl.

IMO, that only happens if Big 3 aren't handling business
I'm talking about when it relates to scheduling. If the Big XII maintains its presence as part of the "Power 5", then home and away agreements will become the norm with UCF. If the Big XII becomes the new AAC (mid-major), UCF will continue to have to continue to schedule home, away, and home deals with the Big 3 in Florida.

Early indicators are the Big XII will be going down a notch since they were not invited to be part of the ACC-Big 10-PAC 12 scheduling alliance, but we shall see.

I'm talking about when it relates to scheduling. If the Big XII maintains its presence as part of the "Power 5", then home and away agreements will become the norm with UCF. If the Big XII becomes the new AAC (mid-major), UCF will continue to have to continue to schedule home, away, and home deals with the Big 3 in Florida.

Early indicators are the Big XII will be going down a notch since they were not invited to be part of the ACC-Big 10-PAC 12 scheduling alliance, but we shall see.
Those scenarios seem pretty likely.

Just don't want us to do anything — such as play a home-and-home — to legitimize those programs in Orlando and Tampa.

UCF and USF can have their little "War on I-4" rivalry and be happy with that.

Advertisement
Those scenarios seem pretty likely.

Just don't want us to do anything — such as play a home-and-home — to legitimize those programs in Orlando and Tampa.

UCF and USF can have their little "War on I-4" rivalry and be happy with that.
Sounds like Gator logic if you ask me. I remember Gators saying "We shouldn't give Miami legitimacy by playing them yearly." Miami still climbed despite UF dropping us from the schedule. You want to keep UCF and USF down? Be a competently ran program that stomps them out any and everywhere they want to play. Beat them on their home field, beat them on yours, beat them in a parking lot if need be.

That's how you approach it. I've never respected programs that refuse to travel to places. The only time you shouldn't be willing to travel is to an FCS school. If they are FBS, then game on. I'm a fan of 2 for 1s, but you still have to travel once.

This is how it looks for the rest of the decade per FBschedules.com

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Sept. 3: Bethune-Cookman
Sept. 10: Southern Mississippi
Sept. 17: @Texas A&M
Sept. 24: Middle Tennessee

Sept. 2: Miami of Ohio
Sept. 9: Texas A&M
Sept. 23: @Temple
TBA: opponent TBD

Aug. 31: @Florida
Sept. 7: FAMU
Sept. 14: Ball State
TBD: Notre Dame

Sept. 13: USF
Sept. 20: Florida

Sept. 12: FAMU
Sept. 19: BYU
Sept. 26: Central Michigan
TBD: South Carolina

Sept. 4: @USF
Sept. 11: South Carolina

Sept. 2: @BYU
Sept. 9: USF

Sept. 1: Auburn
Sept. 15: Temple

1. In 2024 and again in '25, we'll play UF and FSU and Notre Dame. THAT is how you schedule at The University of Miami. On top of everything, that's just about the time CMC should have the Canes runnin' hotter than fish grease (y)(y)(y)

2. ND in 24, 25, 28 (and '31, '32 and '34). Some (not me) would say that ND is one of our "big three" rivals. Regardless, great to have them on the schedule on a semi-regular basis

3. Texas A&M (2022 and '23), South Carolina (2026 and '27) and Auburn ('2029 and '30). We're located in this part of the country. We recruit against the SEC all the time. We need to play at least one SEC school every single season.

4. A two-for-one series with USF (home in '25 and '28 sandwiched around a trip to Tampa in '27) 😐. Not real big on playing USF or UCF, but something like this every 15 or 20 years isn't the end of the world. But no home-and-homes or lower-lever meaningless bowl games with those schools like the idiot Gators got suckered into with UCF.

5. We still got openings in '23, '25, '27, '28 and '29 that almost certainly are gonna be filled by a I-AA opponent. Hope DanRad and CMC do the right thing and schedule either Bethune-Cookman or FAMU. No reason whatsoever to give that $500,000 check to an out-of-state FCS school

6. We host Miami of Ohio in 2023. That's gonna be confusing as **** for some of us lower end CIS posters :LOL:
2025 is looking nice. Is ND home/home or one of those Chicago/Orlando type scenarios? If we get UF and ND at home I’m smelling a natty type situation.

Advertisement
Sounds like Gator logic if you ask me. I remember Gators saying "We shouldn't give Miami legitimacy by playing them yearly." Miami still climbed despite UF dropping us from the schedule. You want to keep UCF and USF down? Be a competently ran program that stomps them out any and everywhere they want to play. Beat them on their home field, beat them on yours, beat them in a parking lot if need be.

That's how you approach it. I've never respected programs that refuse to travel to places. The only time you shouldn't be willing to travel is to an FCS school. If they are FBS, then game on. I'm a fan of 2 for 1s, but you still have to travel once.
It is **** "logic" to a certain extent, the difference being we were kicking UF's *** when they decided in the mid-80's to quit playing us every year.

Gators were looking to soften up their non-conference schedule once the SEC went to eight league games -- nothing more, nothing less.

Fast forward to now: UCF had its 5th straight winning season and won its bowl game, while Miami and UF fired coaches and FSU finished under .500 for the 4th straight year.

Yet after all that turmoil, we were 15th, the Gators 16th and the Noles 20th in the 2022 recruiting class rankings.

And UCF was 52nd.

They are on a lower level, plain and simple, and it's best for UM that it stays that way.

Last edited:
B
It is **** "logic" to a certain extent, the difference being we were kicking UF's *** when they decided in the mid-80's to quit playing us every year.

Gators were looking to soften up their non-conference schedule once the SEC went to eight league games -- nothing more, nothing less.

Fast forward to now: UCF had its 5th straight winning season and won its bowl game, while Miami and UF fired coaches and FSU finished under .500 for the 4th straight year.

Yet after all that turmoil, we were 15th, the Gators 16th and the Noles 20th in the 2022 recruiting class rankings.

And UCF was 52nd.

They are on a lower level, plain and simple, and it's best for UM that it stays that way.
Then STOMP THEM OUT. A program that is going to rise will do it regardless. If UCF wants to play us, then they can come catch these hands. I loved going up to Orlando and watching as Randy Shannon and the 'Canes slapped them around.

This is how it looks for the rest of the decade per FBschedules.com

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Sept. 3: Bethune-Cookman
Sept. 10: Southern Mississippi
Sept. 17: @Texas A&M
Sept. 24: Middle Tennessee

Sept. 2: Miami of Ohio
Sept. 9: Texas A&M
Sept. 23: @Temple

Aug. 31: @Florida
Sept. 7: FAMU
Sept. 14: Ball State

Sept. 13: USF
Sept. 20: Florida

Sept. 12: FAMU
Sept. 19: BYU
Sept. 26: Central Michigan
TBD: South Carolina

Sept. 4: @USF
Sept. 11: South Carolina

Sept. 2: @BYU
Sept. 9: USF

Sept. 1: Auburn
Sept. 15: Temple

1. In 2024 and again in '25, we'll play UF and FSU and Notre Dame. THAT is how you schedule at The University of Miami. On top of everything, that's just about the time CMC should have the Canes runnin' hotter than fish grease (y)(y)(y)

2. ND in 24, 25, 28 (and '31, '32 and '34). Some (not me) would say that ND is one of our "big three" rivals. Regardless, great to have them on the schedule on a semi-regular basis

3. Texas A&M (2022 and '23), South Carolina (2026 and '27) and Auburn ('2029 and '30). We're located in this part of the country. We recruit against the SEC all the time. We need to play at least one SEC school every single season.

4. A two-for-one series with USF (home in '25 and '28 sandwiched around a trip to Tampa in '27) 😐. Not real big on playing USF or UCF, but something like this every 15 or 20 years isn't the end of the world. But no home-and-homes or lower-lever meaningless bowl games with those schools like the idiot Gators got suckered into with UCF.

5. We still got openings in '23, '25, '27, '28 and '29 that almost certainly are gonna be filled by a I-AA opponent. Hope DanRad and CMC do the right thing and schedule either Bethune-Cookman or FAMU. No reason whatsoever to give that $500,000 check to an out-of-state FCS school

6. We host Miami of Ohio in 2023. That's gonna be confusing as **** for some of us lower end CIS posters :LOL:
With regard to number 6, I am certain Miami will win.

Advertisement
Back