Our Defense this year...

Golden ended fall camp early last year because he said the defense was to violent and you saw how that D played like ****.

Not true. Our defense played fast and agressively early in the season. The D basically won the UF game.

The problem came because our defensive staff refused to do anything differently throughout the season. We ran the exact same scheme against the last 3 teams on the schedule as we did the first 3. It was the lack of schematic originality that made our D seem like doo doo.

Uf had over 400 yards in that game and they couldnt stop jeff ****** driskel. Jeff ****** driskel man. He drove up and down the field all day he just went retarted in the red zone. Those ints was not forced he just made ****** throws. And they should look good vs fau, sav st, and usf that aint **** to brag about or be proud of. As soon as they started acc play they got their **** pushed in every week.

Advertisement
Don't know how good any of you expect to be. We were in the 80's last year. Even if we improve 50% we'll still suck.

IMO we'll never be as good as WE COULD BE if we continue to run a scheme that doesn't play into our player's strengths.

Advertisement
Don't know how good any of you expect to be. We were in the 80's last year. Even if we improve 50% we'll still suck.

IMO we'll never be as good as WE COULD BE if we continue to run a scheme that doesn't play into our player's strengths.
Wouldn't it stand to reason that the guys we're recruiting lend themselves to our scheme? Or is the staff going to continue recruiting guys that don't fit their scheme and see if that works?

I'll believe it when I see it. I would like nothing more than for the defense to improve drastically, but I have no reason to think it wont improve only marginally. We will be upgrading from Gaines, Cornelius, Highsmith, and Rodgers II, but the schedule is getting more difficult, especially in terms of the offenses we face. If the season opens 2-2, and the losses are ugly, the wheels might come off.

Talent-wise, there's no reason this defense shouldn't be top 30 at the absolute worst. Besides DT, we have highly-coveted players all over that 2-deep. And we won't be relying on freshmen this season either so youth isn't an excuse. Other than Chad Thomas and maybe Young/Owens sparingly, I don't see freshmen getting significant playing time this season.

A lot of the talent upgrade on defense is in this freshmen class. If a bunch of them do NOT see the field, then I don't think we will see much improvement. Chad, the new DTs and Young/Owens are necessities for any upgrade. Maybe the other DEs/olbs can wait but not those. Plus I think we need more hitting out of the safeties-- freshmen if needed.

Chad won't be heavily relied upon. He may see some action on passing downs but not much because that role is handled by AQM and McCord. Young and Owens will see most of their action on special teams. They also shouldn't be heavily relied upon. And the new DTs aren't freshmen. They're juco players. This won't be a freshman-heavy defense. Youth should not be an excuse this year.

So if youth won't be "an excuse this year" then basically you admit the defense was young last year? And the only Senior leadership basically sucked? But fiah da corches and change da schemezzz right?

So we need da 4-3 and have to run da nickel and dimes right mopes? Anything else you geniuses can think of while we're at it?

Talent-wise, there's no reason this defense shouldn't be top 30 at the absolute worst. Besides DT, we have highly-coveted players all over that 2-deep. And we won't be relying on freshmen this season either so youth isn't an excuse. Other than Chad Thomas and maybe Young/Owens sparingly, I don't see freshmen getting significant playing time this season.

A lot of the talent upgrade on defense is in this freshmen class. If a bunch of them do NOT see the field, then I don't think we will see much improvement. Chad, the new DTs and Young/Owens are necessities for any upgrade. Maybe the other DEs/olbs can wait but not those. Plus I think we need more hitting out of the safeties-- freshmen if needed.

Chad won't be heavily relied upon. He may see some action on passing downs but not much because that role is handled by AQM and McCord. Young and Owens will see most of their action on special teams. They also shouldn't be heavily relied upon. And the new DTs aren't freshmen. They're juco players. This won't be a freshman-heavy defense. Youth should not be an excuse this year.

So if youth won't be "an excuse this year" then basically you admit the defense was young last year? And the only Senior leadership basically sucked? But fiah da corches and change da schemezzz right?

So we need da 4-3 and have to run da nickel and dimes right mopes? Anything else you geniuses can think of while we're at it?

Why does it have to be one or the other? The scheme sucks and the talent wasn't there either.

The only school that runs this defense successfully in college is Alabama. We don't have the resources or coaching that they do.

Advertisement

Why does it have to be one or the other? The scheme sucks and the talent wasn't there either.

The only school that runs this defense successfully in college is Alabama. We don't have the resources or coaching that they do.

How does the scheme suck? In what way specifically?

The DL gets no push. They react to the offense instead of trying to disrupt the offense's timing.

It's extremely passive. Soft zones. Lacks any aggressive play calling.

Schematically it leaves us out-flanked in different spots. LBs covering slot WRs. Outnumbered in the box.

The scheme itself requires grown ******* men up front. So any young studs we bring in won't be able to contribute for 2 years at least, maybe 3 along the DL.

Just a few things off the top of my head.

The DL gets no push. They react to the offense instead of trying to disrupt the offense's timing.

It's extremely passive. Soft zones. Lacks any aggressive play calling.

Schematically it leaves us out-flanked in different spots. LBs covering slot WRs. Outnumbered in the box.

The scheme itself requires grown ****ing men up front. So any young studs we bring in won't be able to contribute for 2 years at least, maybe 3 along the DL.

Just a few things off the top of my head.

What's insane is that you would THINK if we were going to surrender numbers in the box, we would at least cover receivers with DBs. But nope. Not us. We find new and unique ways to **** up.

Wouldn't it stand to reason that the guys we're recruiting lend themselves to our scheme? Or is the staff going to continue recruiting guys that don't fit their scheme and see if that works?

Considering the fact that our main recruiting ground is South Florida I would say that the majority of the guys we're recruiting will NEVER fit our scheme.

They're going to continue running a SCHEME that doesn't fit their RECRUITING.

Advertisement
We'll definitely be better. How much? Not entirely sure. I worry about our run defense mainly because our DTs are an issue. I expect our pass-rush to be a top 20 group but the run D will still be bad unless someone at DT steps up or Wyche or any of he other incoming DTs are worth a ****. We should be able to generate pressure considering we have some good to great PRs in McCord, AQM, and Thomas. Also our ILBs look to be some very good blitzers. I like our pass-rush, pass D, but the run D still worries me. I expect our D to end up around 40's in total D.

I think you have to look at schedule and base opinions off scheme of opponents because thats where it will show improvement or not

Advertisement
Back